Tire Buying Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't buy the coopers cs4 to many issues for me. I would look into Michelin but if your stuck on good year then do those over the coopers. I had terrible luck with them.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: meep
Generally not a fan of GY, though I own a set of tripletreads on our van based on better-than-michelin reviews and so far those reviews hold air. Darn good tires. But in general, I have had more average-to-poor experiences with GY than Birdgestone and Firestone--- where if I stay in the upper models have never been disappointed.

The GY tires listed above have minimal siping--- they are not going to fair well in snow or cold wet streets. The Coopers shown look like they'd do much better in the cold and slick.

I've never owned coopers either. My best cold/wet/snow experience has been with michelins and bridgestones, with a respectable nod to BFG, that did well in DC snows on a CRV.

What's wrong with Goodyear? They make plenty of good tires.

just tires I have owned and driven...

current truck came with GY wranglers. slipped and slid in the rain like I've never seen, and had vague steering/tracking at speed. Bought 4 f'stone destination LE2's and they just did much better-- wet traction, steering-- very happy with the destinations.

jeep WK came with GY forteras. the were wonderful for a year and I liked them so much I figured I'd use the same when they wore out. nope. after 1 year they became a fright when raining. my jeep was the v6 2wd, and 4700 lbs empty. heavy and not too-quick, rear end was not pickup-truck-light. yet she'd spin out without much prompting when wet. Wear bars were exposed at 30,000.

2001 town and country, I bought used years ago, with brand new GY Integrities. I replaced them with about 30,000 miles on them because they really seemed to be water skis in a previous life, really bad about hydroplaning. That van was always a handful on the hwy-- steering was vague. replaced with some bridgestones. wet traction improvement was night and day, and to my surprise the steering was totally different. if the wheel pointed straight, the van went straight.

In college I put a single 70-series eagle on my GFs car. it did ok.

So---- most of my own experiences have either been negative, or showed them to be bettered by another tire.

The GY TT's on my van, however, are a pleasure to drive and I'm very pleased with them. (As I've noted here before, their reviews vary with size of vehicle. the van/sedan sizes seem to get excellent reviews. Truck/SUV sizes, the reviews don't go as well.) So, you can see I'm not close-minded about it-- and not "I think this way because my dad thought this way..." I made the choice to buy the TTs on my own--- but in general I've had far more negative experiences with GY that positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back