Help Me Pick the best VW 504/507 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Liqui, Liqui, LiquiMoly.

Agreed, they make a superior product and have very stringent standards when it comes to quality and consistency.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Liqui, Liqui, LiquiMoly.

Agreed, they make a superior product and have very stringent standards when it comes to quality and consistency.

x3. And the Mann filter

It seems like everyone is divided into two camps.

Those who favor the PU Euro L 5W30 and those who favor the LiquiMoly Top Tech 4200.

Originally Posted By: Anikiri

Those who favor the PU Euro L 5W30 and those who favor the LiquiMoly Top Tech 4200.

An example of the dichotomy fallacy. Because "everyone" (and I haven't reviewed this thread in detail) in a forum goes one of two ways, that fails to take into account 1) those who only lurk and don't post, and 2) the rest of the universe of people using motor oil for this same application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

The Redline is not price competitive and I've never heard of anyone else use it. The more esoteric brands like valvoline synpower MST, redline euro series, fuchs, and ravenol do not have a lot of reviews on them and I am not sure how they will perform.

Whereas Liquimoly, PU, and M1 EST are tested and reviewed well.

The Redline is not price competitive and I've never heard of anyone else use it. The more esoteric brands like valvoline synpower MST, redline euro series, fuchs, and ravenol do not have a lot of reviews on them and I am not sure how they will perform.

Whereas Liquimoly, PU, and M1 EST are tested and reviewed well.

The Redline Euro 5W-30 is $11.49/quart - seems price-competitive to me. What about Motul Specific 507 and Castrol LL03? I'm not confident in your answer at all, and I hope someone with some actual knowledge will chime in.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
The Redline Euro 5W-30 is $11.49/quart - seems price-competitive to me. What about Motul Specific 507 and Castrol LL03?

Remember that Anikiri is in Canada. Finding Redline Euro 5w-30 at all is going to be a stretch, let alone at $11.49 a quart. If he finds it, it will be at an independent and I'd be surprised if he could find it at much under $15 a quart. Buying oil from the dealer will be cheaper than finding Redline or Motul.

Depending upon his location, his best bet with respect to price will be to find an Imperial Oil or Wakefield distributor and find the appropriate Mobil 1 or Castrol product.

Originally Posted By: Rico567

An example of the dichotomy fallacy. Because "everyone" (and I haven't reviewed this thread in detail) in a forum goes one of two ways, that fails to take into account 1) those who only lurk and don't post, and 2) the rest of the universe of people using motor oil for this same application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

I have installed special software on my computer that can detect what lurkers who don't post are thinking. Everyone thought liqui moly except one guy who was thinking Martian Mystery Oil but he seemed a little spacey to me.

Once the drivetrain warranty is over, there are 5w40 oils meeting the MB 229.51 specification that will work very well in the common-rail VW engines. For example, there is Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40, and sometimes Pep Boys has a really good sale price for this oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back