Napa Gold 1042 size question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched from Mobil 1 oil filters to Napa Gold. I have a Silverado with a 5.3 liter engine and a Camaro with the ls1 engine. The Napa guy gave me the same filter(1042) for both engines and I noticed that the Napa Gold 1042 was the same size as the Mobil 1 filter (107) for the Camaro but the Mobil 1 filter for the Silverado was quite a bit bigger(longer) then the Napa. I also remember the factory filter on the Silverado was bigger(longer) also then the Napa Gold. Should this matter at all that it is smaller or could he have given me the wrong filter which I doubt? It fit fine but sence it was so much smaller(shorter) I barley had enough filter left to turn as the end of the filter does not stick out much using the Napa! Thanks for the info!

Use the 1522, it's the longer one that fits the LS1, and is probably the correct size for the Silverado. I definitely wouldn't run the smaller one. I never ran the small filters when I had my LS1, I went to bigger ones on the very first oil change.

[ April 12, 2003, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

It won't cause any problems, but if you are worried about it you could always change just the filters only, no need to drain the new oil at all.

Patman, why would you never use the smaller 1042 Napa gold filters? In the Camaro the short 1042 is level with the oil pan and the longer one would hang down, I wonder if it might hit something with lower ground clearance?

Dang!!! I already installed them both! Would it be ok to finnish out the next 2,500 miles with these smaller filters? Would this cause and damage/problems?

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
Patman, why would you never use the smaller 1042 Napa gold filters? In the Camaro the short 1042 is level with the oil pan and the longer one would hang down, I wonder if it might hit something with lower ground clearance?

I just feel those filters are way too small and would restrict flow too much and reach their dirt capacity faster. When I used the long filters on my 98 Formula, it sat basically flush with the oil pan, or a very tiny bit lower, but not dangerously so, IMO. My Formula was lowered 2", but never had a problem. I feel the oil pan shields the filter more than enough, that anything big enough to puncture the oil filter would hit the pan first. I don't know of anyone running the longer filters who has ever hit anything on the road and had a problem. The chances of it happening are so very slim.

[ April 13, 2003, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I just changed over to napa gold from mobil 1 oil filters in my 00 Silverado 5.3. I am not sure which filter number I have but it is bigger than the Mobil 1 filter I removed. I also noticed an increase in oil pressure from the switch.

Is the increase in pressure due to the filter?

I did also change from Mobil 1 0-30 to Mobil 1 10-30.

I asked the nappa girl if they had an oversized filter and she said not for this application.

dunno.gif

[ April 13, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: nhkid ]

NAPA Gold 1522 is the long style filter for ALL LS style engines, LS1/LS6 and the 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck engines. It also has the specified anti drain back valve and is in my opinion, together with the WIX 51522, which is the same filter, the best filter for these engines.

AC makes the PF44 for the LS1/LS6 car, and the 2003 and up truck applications. This is the short style filter. AC also makes the PF59, which is the long style filter OEM on trucks up to 2002. The AC PF58 is also a long style filter for these engines and does also fit, but does not have an anti drain back valve recommended. We used to use the PF 58 on the LS cars until the PF 59 came out........not relevant anymore since I only use the WIX/NAPA Gold

Thanks Alex.

I am think that I am going to stick with these filters also. I am going to switch over my Saturn to Napa Gold also.

So what would you do? Should I switch the smaller 1042 to the 1522 in both cars and just eat the cost of the 1042 I just put on? The owner of my local Napa said to be careful as if I had engine trouble and GM saw I was using a longer/different filter then what OE called for they could use it against me and try to deny warranty repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back