Auto transmission additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 92 Dodge tranny (A413 with 153k) shifts great during summer months. For several years, only during the cold winter months, there is a slip during the 2-3 upshift for the first few upshifts after sitting overnight. It is fine afterwards till the next cold morning. I suspect hardened seals in the valve body. Has anyone had any success with any auto transmission additives? Band adjustments and fluid/ filter changes have not helped. I have always performed proper maintenance since day one every 40k miles.I use AFT 4 fluid.

Last edited:
I had a GM 4L60E that didn't like to go on cold mornings. I gave it 2 oz. of xylene once a year when the wather turned cold. That was a completely different tranny with a common problem though.

Try Lubeguard. It does what they claim and it does it well, you need the one for Chrysler which IIRC is the black bottle or the platinum. Check out Lubeguards website for the chart.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Try Lubeguard. It does what they claim and it does it well, you need the one for Chrysler which IIRC is the black bottle or the platinum. Check out Lubeguards website for the chart.

+1

Originally Posted By: Lubener
My 92 Dodge tranny (A413 with 153k) shifts great during summer months. For several years, only during the cold winter months, there is a slip during the 2-3 upshift for the first few upshifts after sitting overnight. It is fine afterwards till the next cold morning. I suspect hardened seals in the valve body. Has anyone had any success with any auto transmission additives? Band adjustments and fluid/ filter changes have not helped. I have always performed proper maintenance since day one every 40k miles.I use AFT 4 fluid.

100% the best is
ATP AT-203 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Friction Modifier

ATP

Automatic Transmission Fluid Synthetic Friction Modifier

Part #: AT-203 or AT203

10 fl. oz. / 296 mL

- Converts Dexrton III/Mercon Fluid Into a Highly friction Modified Automatic Transmission Fluid:

• Chrysler ATF Plus III & IV

• Honda Genuine

• Mitsubishi Diamond

• Nissanmatic

• Toyota Genuine

and at our Auto Repair shop in Michigan we sub contract all our transmission work to a Transmission shop and I have talked to all the Tranny techs and they have all told me
ATP is hands down the best....

They do say that lubegaurd is the most well known and does help, however its not on the same level as ATP Products.

Since you have a Chrysler / Dodge this would be the best ATP AT-203 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Friction Modifier

Its only like 20$ on ebay or Amazon,,, read the reviews on ebay or Amazon and you will see

here Ill paste a few

I USED IT WITH DEXRON III IN ZF 5HP19 TRANSMISSION AND AFTER A 300KM JOURNEY (AT HIGH SPEED) THE TRANSMISSION FLUID WAS FOUND STABLE AND WAS NOT AS HOT AS IT USED TO BE. I HAVE ANOTHER IN MY CART NOW AND AT206 M5 ALTERNATE F.M.!

Here another

shifting rumbles between 4 and 5 - put this Friction Modifier in and the problem went away immediately. Drain all the fluid you can (about 3 quarts - which you can buy on Amazon) and then put the Friction Modifier in and fill with the Honda Synthetic ATF to the right height on the dip stick. You'll be amazed.

There many more Reviews.

Here is a pic of it.

41U6%2ByQnp3L._AA500_.jpg

Last edited:
A great product. ATF+4 calls for LG red. LG red is for use with any required ATF except Ford type F.

The black is used as a conversion formula. Platinum was confusing so I called them to ask what to use for ATF+4 and they told me to use Red. HTH

My taurus didn't like to move on cold days (-20F) . I'd press the gas and I could feel the engine working ... but the car wouldn't move unless I really pushed the pedal down.

It kind of acted like someone was holding the brakes.

How many OEM approvals for the ATP product? The ATP is just another conversion fluid, if ATF4+ is in the pan you don't need it.

Originally Posted By: Demarpaint
great product. ATF+4 calls for LG red. LG red is for use with any required ATF except Ford type F.

The black is used as a conversion formula. Platinum was confusing so I called them to ask what to use for ATF+4 and they told me to use Red. HTH

Good to know Frank. With all the different formula's its hard to remember what is used in what.

Last edited:
I believe the bands on the A-413 tranny can be adjusted. I would give this a try. You mentioned that fluid/filter changes have not helped recently.

Are you are ready for another pan drop? If so, adjust the bands then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1

100% the best is

ATP

10 fl. oz. / 296 mL

- Converts Dexrton III/Mercon Fluid Into a Highly friction Modified Automatic Transmission Fluid:

• Honda Genuine

• Mitsubishi Diamond

• Nissanmatic

• Toyota Genuine

and at our Auto Repair shop in Michigan we sub contract all our transmission work to a Transmission shop and I have talked to all the Tranny techs and they have all told me

They do say that lubegaurd is the most well known and does help, however its not on the same level as ATP Products.

Since you have a Chrysler / Dodge this would be the best ATP AT-203 Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Friction Modifier

I don't understand why you continue to push a fluid converter.

A friction modifier in an already highly friction modified fluid such as ATF+4 is a no-no as it changes the static and dynamic friction coefficients of the fluid.

I don't care how many shop techies you spoke to, this is not something you want to continue to push.

The conversion fluids were used in tranny shops who, on the cheap, wanted to stock DexronIII only and then add this junk to supposedly convert DexronIII to some other fluid.

David1, please show us the (u) coefficients during the testing of converted DexronIIIs and how they relate to an ATF+4.

How many OEM approvals for the ATP product? The ATP is just another conversion fluid, if ATF4+ is in the pan you don't need it.

great product. ATF+4 calls for LG red. LG red is for use with any required ATF except Ford type F.

Good to know Frank. With all the different formula's its hard to remember what is used in what.

I read each of the product listings and I was confused, so I called them. That is the only criticism I have with the company, which product to use can be confusing, at least for people like me.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

100% the best is

ATP

10 fl. oz. / 296 mL

• Honda Genuine

• Mitsubishi Diamond

• Nissanmatic

• Toyota Genuine

A friction modifier in an already highly friction modified fluid such as ATF+4 is a no-no as it changes the static and dynamic friction coefficients of the fluid.

I don't care how many shop techies you spoke to, this is not something you want to continue to push.

The conversion fluids were used in tranny shops who, on the cheap, wanted to stock DexronIII only and then add this junk to supposedly convert DexronIII to some other fluid.

David1, please show us the (u) coefficients during the testing of converted DexronIIIs and how they relate to an ATF+4.

+1

You could always try a synthetic for better flow during cold starts

Did you see all the names mentioned?

Honda Genuine is the only Tranny additive I have seen say Honda Genuine on the bottle.

I have tried lubegaurd

have you tried ATP products?

Originally Posted By: jake88
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

100% the best is

ATP

10 fl. oz. / 296 mL

• Honda Genuine

• Mitsubishi Diamond

• Nissanmatic

• Toyota Genuine

+1

You could always try a synthetic for better flow during cold starts

Have you tried ATP products??

My guess is no

but I could be wrong

I have tried Lubegaurd and I have seen a huge diff with ATP products

also ATP has other stuff, not just the one I posted

I noticed that worked great for me in the cars I put it in.

ATP has some more tranny addatives

Have you ever seen / read how ATP 205 will stop a rear main seal in minutes?

I mean ATP makes great stuff

Did you see all the names mentioned?

Honda Genuine is the only Tranny additive I have seen say Honda Genuine on the bottle.

I have tried lubegaurd

have you tried ATP products?

LG has always worked well for me, so I stuck with it and will continue to do so.

Quote:

I have tried Lubegard and I have seen a huge diff with ATP products

How so? What tests have you performed?

Again,

Quote:

Only additive in a real mfgr TSB, works very well for us. Members here have documented lower trans temps with it. It's good stuff, worth a try before you decide to tear it down and rebuild...

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I believe the bands on the A-413 tranny can be adjusted. I would give this a try. You mentioned that fluid/filter changes have not helped recently.

Are you are ready for another pan drop? If so, adjust the bands then.

Again, I am no tranny expert but, this is certainly a consideration to adjust the bands. I believe that in this particular tranny, the bands can be adjusted and no ATF Additive is needed...Just a hunch!

Is this an A-413, 3 spd or 4 spd? I have had an A-413, 3 spd!

Last edited:
Yes there are bands that´s needs adjusting in the
a-413, its basically a small 3 sp torqueflite for transverse
use.
The 4 sp was the a-604/ ultradrive wich is a completly
diffrent animal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back