Is Mazda's SkyActiv the best GDI system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2014 Mazda 3 hatch. I am extremely happy with the car. The interior looks on par with a high end Japanese compact. The outgoing Mazda 3 interior looks really cheap.

I wanted some thoughts on Mazda's SkyActiv motors. They look very innovative and built very well. I researched in depth about Mazda's GDI system. The internals of the engines must be robust since the compression is at 13.

I have looked into various GDI systems. Hyundai's GDI is very spotty when comparing it to the Toyota GDI and SkyActiv. There seems to be an ongoing problems with carbon buildup on the intake vales in Hyundai's equipped with GDI. I have also read that Audi has also had carbon buildup issues with its GDI technology.

I have yet to find any articles about carbon buildup issues in Mazda's SkyActiv system. I would think that Mazda's system would be near flawless because Mazda is relying on this technology to catapult it to profits now that Mazda divorced Ford.

Mazdas has had some serious fuel dilution in UOAs from the new skyactiv engines but no one knows how detrimental that will be to long term reliability.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
now that Mazda divorced Ford.

Ford sold its shares, so it was Ford that divorced Mazda if one wants to be pedantic
wink.gif

Though I think it had more to do with money and avoiding bankruptcy than anything else.

Enjoy your new car.

You'll know in 5-7 years
smile.gif
My guess its fine like 90% of cars out there. Pure luck.

I have looked into various GDI systems. Hyundai's GDI is very spotty when comparing it to the Toyota GDI and SkyActiv. There seems to be an ongoing problems with carbon buildup on the intake vales in Hyundai's equipped with GDI. I have also read that Audi has also had carbon buildup issues with its GDI technology.

I have yet to find any articles about carbon buildup issues in Mazda's SkyActiv system. I would think that Mazda's system would be near flawless because Mazda is relying on this technology to catapult it to profits now that Mazda divorced Ford.

That's because Mazda is fairly new in the game. Once people get the miles/hours on their engines, then you'll see if Mazda addressed the intake valve deposits.

The current Toyota D4-S and Audi Twin-injection has both port & direct injection, so intake valve buildup is not an issue, unless you use non-PEA detergent fuel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

That's because Mazda is fairly new in the game. Once people get the miles/hours on their engines, then you'll see if Mazda addressed the intake valve deposits.

The current Toyota D4-S and Audi Twin-injection has both port & direct injection, so intake valve buildup is not an issue, unless you use non-PEA detergent fuel

SkyActiv isn't as new as most think. The carbon deposit issues from Hyundai's cheap GDI system are non existent according to Mazda forums and this article discusses why.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/i...technology.aspx

There is an earlier post here of UOA of a '12 Mazda 3 that had fuel dilution of 3.4% that showed good wear numbers from skyactiv. I'm not sure if their has been improvement in fuel delivery but a Mazda 6 showed virtually no dilution. Keep us posted. I deliberately veered away from DI when buying for this reason.

It's certainly the one with the most PR and advertising! Mazda really wants to sell people on high compression, low internal resistance DI engines.

Seems that Hyundai and Ford just kind of mention that it's DI. The other manufacturers ... nope.

Ever heard of MazdaSpeed 6 and MazdaSpeed 3? These models had turbocharged DI engines in them and while the early models had problems with turbos leaking oil, intake deposits were not a problem. Did you also know that all Ford's well respected Duratec I4 engines are derivatives of Mazda's MZR engines?
They may be small and not known to a lot of people, but Mazda is on par with Honda and Toyota when it comes to small engine design.

I've always liked mazda engines. I had a miata at one point and that engine was *solid*. Heck, it was based on the iron block from the ford ranger. those cars can be seen running just fine with 300,000 on the clock, with the car falling apart around it.

I've always liked mazda engines. I had a miata at one point and that engine was *solid*. Heck, it was based on the iron block from the ford ranger. those cars can be seen running just fine with 300,000 on the clock, with the car falling apart around it.

Why does everyone forget Ford's GDI system as used in the Ecoboosts? Very reliable with few issues and it's been out since 2009...

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Why does everyone forget Ford's GDI system as used in the Ecoboosts? Very reliable with few issues and it's been out since 2009...

Don't even get me started on Ford. The Ecoboost is called Ecoboast by some magazines. The CMAX Hybrid is an absolute joke. Ford tried to out do the Prius but the CMAX only gets 37mpg thats worse than the current Civic Hybrid that uses the outgoing IMA system!

That's why everyone forgets it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

That's why everyone forgets it.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: meep
Heck, it was based on the iron block from the ford ranger.

nonononononono.jpg

High Pressure Fuel line/fire recall kind of disqualifies it from "very reliable".

Their first DI implementation was in 2006, and it never had a problem. Buildup issues on the DISI, even back then, were not even close to the VAG buildup problems (partly because of siamesed intake port). Plenty of articles regarding the skyactiv solution to intake deposits, and it doesn't involve retrofitting port injection, instead using controlled high intake valve temperatures.

I'd also like to point out that when Mazda debuted SkyActiv in 2012 the engineers weren't able to implement the 4-2-1 header that is found on the Japanese SkyActiv motors. I just found out that the all new 2014 Mazda 3 has the 4-2-1 header. I looked at the specs of the outgoing 2013 vs the 2014. The compression ratio on the 2013 is 12 while the 2014 model has a compression of 13. The redline is also higher on the 2014. I'm actually on my second tank of mid-grade to ascertain if this motor is capable to putting out more power on higher octane gas. I'll report back once I switch back to regular.

Don't even get me started on Ford. The Ecoboost is called Ecoboast by some magazines. The CMAX Hybrid is an absolute joke. Ford tried to out do the Prius but the CMAX only gets 37mpg thats worse than the current Civic Hybrid that uses the outgoing IMA system!

Well, their GDI system works as advertised, has been extremely reliable and the engines put out tons of HP and torque in a flat pattern. Yes, they are not the fuel sippers they were portrayed as but I can get 25-26MPG highway in a 4300lb AWD sedan I'm fine with that.

Sorry if I interrupted your Mazda Love Fest but you asked if Mazda's is the best? It's good but not proven to be the best yet.

Originally Posted By: jrustles

High Pressure Fuel line/fire recall kind of disqualifies it from "very reliable".

You do realize there are various versions of Ford's GDI system...

1. Ecoboost 3.5, since 2009 no recalls
2. Ecoboost 1.6, since 2010 (in Europe) recalled for the line
3. Ecoboost 2.0 since 2010 (in Europe) no recalls
4. Ford 2.0 in the Focus since 2010

So yeah, I'd say Ford's GDI is very Reliable. So are later version's of GM's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back