Motorcraft FL1A Oil Filter Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was removed from my Dakota. It was the remote mount transmission filter I installed a year ago. This is the first spin on filter this transmission has seen so I thought it would be a lot more dirty. I suppose it being so clean is a good thing! The fluid was not changed at the time of installation, just topped off. The fluid that is in the transmission is about two years old with maybe 10 k miles on the fluid. I changed the fluid today and dropped the pan to change the internal filter. Used a Wix filter kit in the transmission and a Wix 51515 for the spin on filter. Filled with 7.5 quarts of Supertech ATF +4. The pan looked really good with not nearly as much hunk and sludge as last time. I'll probably change this spin on next year and a couple of years before I drop the pan again. What do you guys think??

Once you drop the pan, clean it out, and replace the filter, there really isn't much of a reason to do it again if you install one of these spin on filters in the coolant loop. These filters will catch the majority of junk before it has time to settle out overnight and build up in the pan.

Changing this filter once a year, and topping off the fluid, will do an excellent job of refreshing everything.
Unless you are doing some SERIOUS towing, or otherwise a lot of mileage on your truck, 1x a year should work great.

BTW, I run a similar set up on my F150. It makes me feel good that other folks have similar results that I do.

Maybe try a higher efficiency filter than the fl1a? How about a tough guard 3600, or PureOne 20195?

I think remote transmission filters are awesome ideas.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
You might have better luck posting down here:

Oil Filter SPECIFIC Forum

Sorry I thought about posting in the oil filter forum but I thought it was relevant in the transmission forum because I used ot on the transmission. So again sorry about that. I agree with the others that maybe a once a year change for the filter will be good. I was worried about flow that was why I thought the motorcraft was a good choice. I think next I will try a Fram XG8A because of the synthetic media should flow better and I think should also have more efficient rating. For now I am sure the Wix will have no trouble with a one year interval. Thanks for all the input guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back