Bicycle trainers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This winter, I am going to buy a trainer, so that I can keep 'riding'. We are already in the cold, rainy days... and it is dark until 7am, and dark again by 6:30pm.

What do I need to look for? I see there are wind, magnetic, and fluid trainers. Looking at trying to keep this around a $200 budget. I will be using my Specialized Allez Elite with this.

Thanks.

I had one made by Performance Bikes. It was a fluid trainer. Used it for a season. I did not think that I got a good work out with it. Sold that, and talked to fellow cyclists and they said to try Kurt Kinetic. Also a fluid trainer. Works great. A more consistent effort. Doubt you can get it for $200 unless it's a closeout.
I usually put a fan that blows air to me AND the fluid resistance unit as the unit does get pretty hot despite the heat sink.

I got a wind type unit. As a rower, I was very familiar with this sort of machine as a rowing ergometer.

It is loud, thats the only concern. Havent used mine in a while.

Id really like to get a car alternator or something like that, and convert it to a small electric generator.

Rim drives are quieter and don't wear your tires out. Look for a unit with a remote so you can change resistance without having to stop riding and get off the bike.

Got a OneUpUSA trainer. More like 300 bucks, but that's the going price these days.

Its OK I guess. You depend almost entirely on the gearing of your bicycle to create resistance. Its sturdy and easy to store. Sometimes the bicycle pops out of the device. Its reasonably quiet. If you try and use a mountain bike on it, the low gearing won't build much resistance.

I bought a rim drive one from the bike store for around $220 or so several years ago. Took the first one back since it had some issue plus it was loud. Second one I noticed a bad weld and the metal parts were separating. This was a name brand one. Took the second one back and received a full refund.

I'm looking at CycleOps units. Claim to have a lifetime warranty. Prices start around $135 for an air unit, or $170 for a magnetic unit with a remote adjuster, on Amazon.

Noise is not really an issue for me. I'm not in an apartment or duplex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back