Using an electric shaver to prevent ingrown hair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having ingrown hair problems for years. I already stopped shaving against the grain. Now I don't get as close of a shave as I used to, yet I still get ingrown hair. Tried a double edge safety razor - didn't like it either - kept getting razor burn, probably due to poor technique.

Anyway, I've been reading that using an electric shaver might help. Are any of you using electric shavers? What are your thoughts? Worth a try? My main worry is that my shave will be even less close. As it is, my beard grows so fast, I'm all stubbly by the afternoon, and with an electric it'll be even worse.

The shave will be less close than you experience now if you switch to an electric razor, but the ingrown hairs and razor burn should be history.

I just get minor razor burn that I have not been able to find a cure to even with aftershave when I shave every other day, at least it only bothers me for a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the opposite. I used a Braun electric razor for a couple of years and had ingrown hairs the whole time. Switched back to Gillette Fusion and no more ingrown hairs. I have now switched to Dorco razors purchased online for about 1/3 the price and still no problems.

I used blades forever and got ingrowns. Switched to electric (norelco) and ingrowns are gone. I do miss the closeness of the blade razors though.

I think shaving prep plays a large role.

Shave after a hot shower and make sure to use a good face wash. Avoid any shave cream in a can; use a badger hair brush and a decent shave oil (PYB?); follow with a quality aftershave.

Buy a quality model that has good reviews. This is not something to cheap out on. Also use it for 3-4 weeks daily before you decide if it's for you. It take some time to get a good technique.

Lectric Shave is a great product to help improve the quality of your shave.

Some people are just prone to ingrown hairs. If you are prone the only cure may be to not shave too close. I've never used an electric but maybe if one doesn't cut too close it will help. If the electric cuts just as close you'll have the same problem.

Last edited:
Tried both electric and non electric. Try buffing your face with a dry towel after shaving...removing the dead skin allows the hair to grow without restriction.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I think shaving prep plays a large role.

Shave after a hot shower and make sure to use a good face wash. Avoid any shave cream in a can; use a badger hair brush and a decent shave oil (PYB?); follow with a quality aftershave.

Yeah, that's what I thought, so I did use a good brush, preshave oil, sensitive skin shave soap, and aftershave. My ingrown hair hasn't really diminished and after a while I developed a rash and was told by my dermatologist to stop it all. I had to use an antibiotic cream just to recover. The problem is that in addition to ingrown hair I have a really really sensitive skin. I have tried so many different creams, soaps, lotions - none of it seems to jive with my skin.

I have now settled on Gillette fusion and Aveeno therapeutic shave gel to control the rash, but the ingrown hair is still a problem.

If i were to get an electric shaver, I'd probably be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N5M...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have used the Braun and other similar flat top/foil electric razors. I prefer Norelco with the 3 round rotating heads. The shave is reasonable except under the neck.

My absolute best and safest shave is with soap/hot water and a 3 or 4 blade hand razor and lots of steam such as in the shower

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What is this ingrown hair you guys speak of? Honestly never heard of it.

After shaving, as the hair grows, it gets beneath the skin(in this case, facial skin) and causes irratation and bumps and can often itch. Women often get this on their legs/underarms.

I had this problem some 30 years ago. Working from memory, a pharmacist told me this problem is more prevalent with African Americans, and they make a shaver called a black man's shaver. Never checked that out. I've since switched from blades to electric and never had the problem since.

I am very prone to ingrown hairs as well, and I use an electric shaver 99% of the time. I found a few things that helped:

1. I bought a new shaver. After using $30-40 shavers for years, and never replacing their heads, I finally broke down about bought a $100 Norelco from Costco. It came with 2 heads.

2. I use a pre-electic splash or lotion -- that has SD alcohol.

3. I keep shaver fully charged, and clean it daily.

4. Rinse face with cold water after shaving.

If I don't do items 2-3, my conditions worsen.

Finally, somebody asks a question that I can answer with my many years of experience!

I've been shaving for the last 25 years with almost every brand of electric razor on the market. I've never once had a problem with an ingrown hair, even on my neck line. The handful of times I tried a razor blade to get a really close shave, I would still have stubble by dinnertime, so that gives you an idea on how fast my facial hair regenerates.

My observations? The rotary electrics were the worst in giving a close shave, especially along the neck. Their best attribute is that they work OK for those who may want to shave in the car on the commute to work.

Braun products were marginally better than the Norelco rotaries, but they never put a powerful enough motor in even their top line products to make me want to buy another one.

Panasonic is the best of the bunch, IMHO. I currently have the ES8103 and I've replaced the blades and foil once in the last 3 years and will be replacing them again soon. I plan on keeping this one as long as replacement blades are available. The best part about it is that it's a wet/dry shaver. I normally shave before showering but after washing my face, and it give me as good of a shave as the couple of razors I've tried in the past. If I want to get a really close shave, I do my same routine and then bring it in the shower with me and go over everything again with soap. My face is smoother than my 2 year old's bum then. It's also a good way to keep it clean and optimally functioning. If you let the clippings stay in the head for a couple of days, it won't shave as close.

Also, they use motors that run at 11,000 rpms. This makes a huge difference compared to the others that are around 6-7,000 rpms. The Panasonic doesn't bog down on thick beards like the other do. With one day's growth or 3, it doesn't take me any longer to shave the thicker growth.

Hope this helps you decide which way to go.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Panasonic is the best of the bunch, IMHO. I currently have the ES8103 and I've replaced the blades and foil once in the last 3 years and will be replacing them again soon. I plan on keeping this one as long as replacement blades are available.

Thanks a lot! Did you happen to take a look at the one I linked to above? Seems more higher end, but maybe I could step down to a lower model and save some dough...

Wow, that one is the Cadillac of shavers! I've been very satisfied with the 2 blade Panasonic that I have. It's this one:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/ES8103S

I call it 2 blades, but they call the center trimmer another blade. What it actually does it trim down longer hairs so they can more easily be cut by the real blades. I've had one shaver with the auto cleaning station, and the solution will drain your wallet. I'ts just as easy to run it under water and clean it, or pump some hand soap in there and run it to clean it.

I don't pay any more than $100 for a new shaver. The only fault I can find with the Panasonics is they don't work when plugged in. They only operate on battery power. I'm on the original battery after three years, and I charge once per week while shaving every day.

It also works in Europe on 220v with a cheap adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back