Pulling oil sample from my Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be dumb, but can I remove the valve cover and somehow dip a sample from the oil that sits from the top of the engine? I see that Blackstone has free kits, so I'm wondering if I can just dip that container under the cam, somehow. Or do I need a turkey baster, and if so, how would I best clean that?

I'm toying with getting my oil analyzed; it seems to be a popular thing here... Here's the scoop: my car is no longer stock, it makes something like 40% more power than stock. I removed the EGR, only run ULSD, and use lots of throttle. However it just dawned on me that I've never changed my OCI from the 12kmiles+ interval (one time I forgot and ran to 14k!) that I've been using since the 100kmile mark. It's been running at this level of tune since 251k, and now is at 285k. And I just realized I'm at 12k on this oil.

Since I have the somewhat failure prone BEW engine (camshaft wear issues) I'm thinking of proactively taking a look at the cam. [It was fine at 200k.] While I'm there I could pull some oil out. Otherwise I'd have to pull from the oil filter area, but I'd probably do that at an oil change. [I only do topside changes on this.]

If you do top side changes, does that mean you have a pump to siphon out of the dipstick tube? If so, that's probably the easiest route. I don't think there will be as much oil or room to dip a sample bottle of oil out of the head as perceived.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why not get the sample pump? I think both Blackstone as well as Amsoil sell them.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/vacuum-pump.php

Quick, easy, no mess. Just use a fresh piece of tubing each time.

Mostly because that'd be too dumb-simple for me to figure out... Thanks, that'll do the trick!

Last edited:
FYI - with a sample pump the actual pump never touches the oil. So no contamination. You use a new piece of tubing each time and take the sample into a new bottle.

The tubing is available at HD, its used for water for ice makers.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why not get the sample pump? I think both Blackstone as well as Amsoil sell them.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/vacuum-pump.php

Quick, easy, no mess. Just use a fresh piece of tubing each time.

Mostly because that'd be too dumb-simple for me to figure out... Thanks, that'll do the trick!

Sometimes you just need another perspective on a situation.

Originally Posted By: Donald
And after you get a sample pump, its almost a given you will be ordering a $50 filter cutter shortly.

Probably not. Jetta and Tundra have cartridges, it looks like the Camry has a cannister. Not really worried about junk in the filter. Just want to do a sample on the Jetta to see if I can run long OCI's w/o worry; am thinking of checking the Tundra ATF as it was never changed and it's got a lot of miles now. Probably one-time checks.

Originally Posted By: supton
am thinking of checking the Tundra ATF as it was never changed and it's got a lot of miles now. Probably one-time checks.

What kind of atf is in the Tundra? T-IV etc...and how many miles on it? I have a 05 Toyota Matrix XR.

It uses Toyota's WS; I pulled the plug and let just a bit out right after buying. Red, but not the clear red I've seen on domestic ATF (my only other point of reference, never owned an automatic before). Since it was a lease vehicle prior, and since Toyota says it's a lifetime fill (apparently they recommend 60k if towing) I'm quite sure it was never changed, thus it has 77kmiles on it. How nice was the leasee on this beast? No idea. I bought it with 73k on the clock, and have been uber careful to watch ATF temp while driving, but best I can tell Toyota probably doesn't let ATF go to the transmission cooler until 230F or so.

I plan to change with Maxlife at some point. I wish Toyota had left the dipstick in place, rather than this sealed nonsense; but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back