Filters got rained on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renting from our landlords and our area has sustained some pretty bad hail damage. well There's a leak in the roof, rain got in and drenched my oil change supplies. Boxes were soaked so I have moved all of my oil filters inside, thrown most of the boxes away that were drenched, dried the filters with a towel, put Reynolds wrap around the filters and marked them with a marker. kind of sucks but you got to do what you got to do.

Looks like my oil filters are going to stay inside next to my gun cabinet!

Don't wrap them up tight unless you know they are completely dry inside.

Let the filters dry out completely before you store them. If you can you might even try and dry the boxes for storage again. Depends on if they were damaged beyond saving. I would give it a try.

Sorry for your trouble. One general thing to note about cellulose in filters is that it absorbs moisture so I agree with toneydoc above to MAKE SURE they are dry inside before sealing them up. Several days in a dry household environment will do that.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
And you can always toss them in the clothes dryer .
woo talk about racket and noise...

I was kidding of course but it would be quite the noise !

Wouldn't the effect of drying the wet filter media cause it to lose its filtering capabilities?

Ever wet a piece of paper, then dry it and find that it is much weaker than before?

Even if you dry the filter thoroughly, wouldn't the exposure to water cause some rusting among some of the parts, like the bypass valve spring? Thus making it somewhat ineffective?

I'd just fill it with oil that car using the filter will be using and cover the top with an old cardboard. I have those clear plastic shoe boxes that I put in the garage to put used oil filters in so that if they get tipped it doesn't spill all over the place. Store it there until you need to use it.

Last edited:
OK , cloths dryer would not be a good idea but if you really want to dry them fast a low setting in your oven or a heater directed at them to warm them would likely do .

I wiped 'em and tipped 'em upside down before I wrapped them in foil. Some of the boxes were unsalvageable. They were in the garage - it was the garage's roof leaking, not my house lol, so now they are inside.

I'd dry them out in the oven at 150 deg F for an hour to ensure they are bone dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back