Small, AWD, simple vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only issues I know that Subaru had was in the late 90's to early 2K's was with head gaskets, but think they resolved that and extended the warr on them.

To me, the more things you have like power windows and locks, the harder they are to fix. I'm not a fan of ABS, but if it stops working, it works like reg brakes.

In some ways a Funky Four is easier to work on. A mechanic friend said, he liked that everything was up front in a longitudinally mounted engine opposed to a transverse mounted one.

Only thing I didn't like after having a well fr/rr balanced car like a BMW is, was all the drivetrain metal up front like a FWD car has, that I swore I would never buy. After seeing a vid about Subaru's with a race car driver driving a modified one available in the UK, and saying how to drive them hard. I was at a dealer the next day.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The RDX is basically a turbocharged CR-V, yes. The interior is completely different, and actually the drivetrain is a little different as well. The RDX uses Acura's awesome SH-AWD system, whereas the CR-V uses the more pedestrian Dual Pump AWD system (similar in nature to a Haldex AWD unit). The SH-AWD system has the ability to transfer 100% of the available rear torque to the outside wheel during cornering.

The new one is completely different. It lost much of its character, much of its spunk; the turbo four is gone in favor of Honda's corporate 3.5L V-6 (which is a heckuva engine regardless) and the SH-AWD system is gone in favor of a simpler AWD system (so says the marketing materials; I think they're simply using the CR-V's Dual Pump system now).

The new one is also getting good reviews, selling like hotcakes, and getting outstanding MPG. The new AWD system is similar to the new system on the CR-V, it is active (not reactive, like Real-Time AWD), however it's not as sophisticated as SH-AWD.

Originally Posted By: cchase

I keep personally plugging the CR-V since I think it's the closest thing out there to a fit, but I agree with posters who say she will need to compromise. I keep hoping I am missing some obvious ones but it's starting to seem like I am not. I have been trying to steer her towards at least considering FWD vehicles but my worry is that if I am successful, she'll get stuck at some point this winter and make me regret ever opening my mouth about non-AWD options.

I think the RDX might genuinely be a good suggestion, I had forgotten it was basically a turbo CR-V. I need to do some research on that one.

CR-V would seem like the ideal choice and the new(er) one keeps up with all but the Tiguan in instrumented acceleration tests. My wife had a '10 CR-V and it was such a great car for us. Not the fastest but it handled especially well and got by just fine if you keep your foot in it. Further, the Real-Time AWD system was incredibly effective in some deep snows we've had (and it's an extremely simple system).
As for RDX, I've had a new one as a loaner car and it was very nice. PLENTY of power from the J35 and the trip computer indicated this particular loaner car was getting 24MPG overall which is what our much less powerful '10 CR-V got, good stuff.

If she had a X3 perhaps she'll consider a Lexus RX350, Infiniti EX/FX, Mercedes GLK, Volkswagen Tiguan, and Mazda CX-5 and I think the Lexus IS350 was also offered with AWD.

I had a 2005 LGT 5 speed. Other than moderately okay power I hated the car, sold it for a base model ugly 2012 Mazda 6 which I love. Everything was falling apart, windows/locks, CV joints, clutch/throwout bearing (which happens to take out the transmission case in the process of failing), AC, head lights lasted 6 months tops, interior felt cheap and was the finish was wearing out, fuel injectors, random electrical gremlins like the dash illumination just randomly changing. I am sure there is other stuff that I have forgotten

and I was fortunate enough to be so paranoid about a turbo that I changed the oil ever 3k with synthetic. those that followed the owner's manual of 7500 got a blown turbo and soon after a blown engine. Subaru later revised the owner's manual to 3750 for turbo owners.

Long way to say, I can't blame you for avoiding Subaru.

I just thought of something. How about a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the full time all wheel drive transfer case. Look for a Quadra-Drive or Quadra-Trac transfer case, they are full time.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
My first thought was Subaru also. But since that is off the table and she seems to like upscale, check out the Volvo XC60.

Bah. Missed that. But was first thought.

How about Volkswagen or Audi Quattro?

Or an older Olds Bravada?

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
If she had a X3 perhaps she'll consider a Lexus RX350, Infiniti EX/FX, Mercedes GLK, Volkswagen Tiguan, and Mazda CX-5 and I think the Lexus IS350 was also offered with AWD.

I think the RX350 and Infiniti FX is too large (as is the Touareg).

The CX-5 would be decent except that reading reviews leads me to believe it's quite underpowered.

Lexus IS350 with AWD is proving to be a rare bird, although they do seem to exist theoretically.

Acura RDX the new one with 3.5L Honda V6. It is a hopped up and really nice CR-V workover by Acura.

The old one was turbo 2.4L and whacko powercurve and had more complexities like SH AWD. The new RDX has Honda's simple AWD used across their line.

Well, the follow-up.

She ended up buying a 2010 Lexus IS250 AWD. She seems to like it, most importantly. Little short on power in my opinion but the engine felt torquey enough. Never seen so much underhood plastic though.

Well, the follow-up.

She ended up buying a 2010 Lexus IS250 AWD. She seems to like it, most importantly. Little short on power in my opinion but the engine felt torquey enough. Never seen so much underhood plastic though.

Nice. Definitely a ladies car and yes power is short but more than adequate.

Well, the follow-up.

Congrats. Ive always liked the IS. Its a bit tight, but it feels very high quality and like youre in a glove. Nice lines too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back