Sidewall gouge, but not leaking...Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
During Fall cleanup on the Jeep yesterday, I noticed a small cut/gouge in the sidewall of a rear tire. These are still the OE Michelin Latitudes -- which I cannot wait to replace anyway. They are horrible in anything but dry pavement. The tire is not leaking. All tires are down to 5.5/32nds, but I was going to try to make it through the winter on them (if it's not a bad winter). This is the wife's daily-driver of minimum 26 miles daily -- about 20 of that at freeway speeds. She hauls the kids home from school. I have no idea how deep this cut is, nor how long it's been there. Should I be concerned if it's not leaking? Would you replace? There are typically great DTD deals this time of year. However, money is also tight this time of year (kid's Bdays, Christmas, etc.). My family's safety is my main concern. They are obviously worth more than a $700-800 set of tires.

We have a full-size spare, but it's not a matching brand, nor size (overall height=same). A 265/60/18 tire doesn't fit in the spare compartment with the lid closed, so they use a 245/65 Kumho.

I snapped a few cell phone pics in my dark garage last night:

null_zps97115866.jpg

null_zps935f69e8.jpg

I wouldn't drive on it, and if a customer car came in with that I'd recommend replacement of the tire(s). And at 5.5/32s I'd advise you to replace the tires soon anyway. This is the answer you should be getting from most tire shops, and Black Friday should present some nice deals on tires.

Last edited:
That cut's no big deal but as said above the tread depth may be. You'd be down to 4/32 by March.

I would replace all 4 tires myself.

If you want to wait till the spring and get a few more months use out of the tires, at least replace the one damaged tire and then replace the other three in the spring.

I've been looking anyway. I know 5/32nds won't do well in winter. They were already bad last winter. They only have 22k, and have been rotated. My wife says I'm just "saying that", but now I have a better excuse. If I order from DTD, I'm leaning towards Cooper AT/3s. If locally, Firestone Destination ATs, or the new Goodyear All-Terrain Adventure. I know I will lose MPG, but it will be well worth it over the horrible OE Latitudes.

You can probably get a set of nice Coopers installed for $400 after rebates. That would be my goal. Much better than $700-800. Check both DT/DTD and have them price match one another if needed.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
You can probably get a set of nice Coopers installed for $400 after rebates. That would be my goal. Much better than $700-800. Check both DT/DTD and have them price match one another if needed.

I would be absolutely shocked if you could get that size tire in any brand for $100/ea installed.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
?...They are horrible in anything but dry pavement. The tire is not leaking. All tires are down to 5.5/32nds....My family's safety is my main concern. They are obviously worth more than a $700-800 set of tires.

These are incompatible statements. If your family's safety is your main concern, why are they riding on tires with horrible traction? Winter is upon us...and the horrible traction compromises their safety in snow.

Buy 4 new tires.

Typically, the wife doesn't drive when the roads are bad. If bad, there's no school. She works at After School Care. The roads are typically all clear by late afternoon. We live in KS, not MO.
smile.gif
. I drove once last year on 2" of compacted snow with the Jeep, and stopping/turning was scary. My truck with Silent Armors was much better. I drive the kids to school every morning -- when the roads are typically worse.

Unfortunately, it's tough to find a tire under $180 in that size. The Cooper AT3s are $173/ea, with $150/total rebates now. I might need to grab them before one of those rebates goes away. That will bring them to $135.50 + mounting/balancing/tpms. I'll never be able to touch that locally. The Goodyears will be over $200/ea. The Firestones ~$185.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
The Cooper AT3s are $173/ea, with $150/total rebates now. I might need to grab them before one of those rebates goes away. That will bring them to $135.50 + mounting/balancing/tpms.

Which is almost buy 3 get 1 free. I think the Cooper rebate expires right around Thanksgiving. So no reason to wait for a Black Friday sale with these tires.

Last edited:
I wouldn't chance it if it was MY wife's vehicle. If I was driving it, I would probably wait. If it was the wife, different story. IMO, get new tires man. I have Bridgestone Duelers on my Expedition and tested them in this big rain event we just had. They performed great! Haven't been off-road yet, but plan to soon. No snow in these parts so I can't provide feedback there!

Thanks everyone. New tires it is. Our highways are pretty good, but I'd hate for a blowout at 70 mph. I made sure all were at recommended PSI. All were 2-3 psi low due to the cooler weather.

Quote:
Cooper AT/3s. If locally, Firestone Destination ATs, or the new Goodyear All-Terrain Adventure.
Do you need the all-terrain tread pattern? If you need the added off-pavement traction, OK. Otherwise you might get longer tire wear and better gas mileage with an all-season tread pattern. Michelin LTX M/S2 are excellent, Firestone Destination LE2 are a great choice, and there are many others.

I don't need A/Ts, but want them. I've driven on many different HTs and ATs. IMO, the minor decrease in mpg and wear are made up when the traction is needed. In KC, we never know when we will get dumped on. Our family lives further north in NE and IA, and we always travel there for the holidays. I'm sure the MS2s are great, but I really don't want to spend $1K on tires. I'd drive on Destination ATs, but the LE2s are too highway-oriented for me. I've had too many highway tires leave a bad taste in my mouth. I've never been disappointed in the A/Ts I've had.

Update: The Cooper A/T3s arrived on Monday, and I had them mounted on Wednesday. NTB charged $16.99/ea. for mounting -- including lifetime rotation. I didn't think that was too bad. They did a good job, and was done in < 1 hr. I really like these tires thus far. They ride better than the OE Latitudes. They are louder, but it doesn't bother me. They seem louder than Goodyear Silent Armors (I guess they really are "silent"). Handling seems good, and it doesn't appear we took a noticeable hit in MPG. I will know know about that in a couple weeks, since I just filled up.

Cell pic:

null_zps0beb2612.jpg

null_zpscc8d5265.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back