Who does DIY cultured milk/kefir/yogurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm addicted to milk, but I try to avoid it these days as it's loaded with carbs and sometimes it gives me sinus problems and headaches next day.

I decided to try DIY cultured kefir as it's supposedly to be healthy. There are bunch of studies on benefits of probiotics, including weight loss. However, I couldn't find kefir grains sold locally and I didn't want to wait for a delivery. I remembered my wife bought probiotic capsules that contained various strains of lactobaccilus. I emptied 2 capsules into a quart of regular milk and 24 hrs later (at room temp) I have cultured milk similar to buttermilk, but less sour.

I drank a glass after supper and breakfast and it's more feeling that regular milk and makes me less sleepy after meals. Maybe more energy? I like it!

Thanks for the advice. I would not let it set too long though, you may have a bacteria growing that you dont want. Many of these "good" bacteria are so important for nutrient absorption and immune system defense.

I'm sick of milk because it starts to go bad when there's at least a third of it left. This is probably after 1.5 weeks. Just don't like pouring it all out. And a half gallon costs only .25 less usually. I tried soy milk - - ick. Almond milk, mmmm a little better. Probably could get used to both if I drank them for a few weeks. Now I have instant oatmeal in the morning. Just pour water into it and top with sliced banana.

My wife makers Kefir and yoghurt and butter from farm fresh non-pasteurised whole milk. I know with the yougurt she uses yoghurt from past good batches to continue it. You can also use some youghurt from your fav store brand like Yoplait or ?? We put a 40 or 60 watt worklight into the oven wuth a couple quarts to hold the temp to around 95-100 overnight and its done in the morning .
I'll have to ask her about the kefir ('ka-,fearRRrrr) she got a good recipe from a Ukranian woman she worked with.

She also drinks Kombucha (which is a SCOBY) that she makes, instead of Soda Pop. It like a poor mans healthy champagne.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
However, I couldn't find kefir grains sold locally

Have you tried the store locator here?

http://www.lifeway.net/Store/StoreLocator.aspx

I buy their stuff at local supermarkets. It's not bad. But apparently the home made stuff is even better for you. I'll have to try making it at some point.

I see what you mean. I could have bought store kefir as a culture starter too.

Its more or less all we make. Especially since its nearly impossible to find whole milk yogurt to give our infant.

We usually use new cultures to prevent facilitating the nasties from getting too powerful - perhaps thats overthinking, but its how we do it.

We have talked about using our own yogurt as a starter for the next batch.

I did DIY yogurt for a while. Pretty easy, really. Just have to have something that keeps an even 105-115* for up to 8 hrs.

I used brand name yogurt for a starter. I made it in two single quart jars. Kept in the fridge easily for up to 2 wks.

I haven't had a glass of milk in at least 35 years. Simply no reason for a post-infancy mammal to drink another mammal's milk.

I tried making Greek yogurt because it is high protein, low carb. I used the Easiyo system and it worked pretty well. Then I moved away from dairy altogether and lost interest. The yogurt was good though, and very easy.

I realize I'm digging up an oldie, but after a number of years drinking store-bought kefir, I just ordered some live kefir grains (via internet, since I don't know where to find them locally) and will try to make my own. Hopefully I won't food-poison myself. The instructions appear fairly simple. But if anyone has any valuable pointers, please share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back