Cut open AC Delco Ecore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in the Uplander today. It had Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 and an AC Delco (Ecore) filter. The oil came out black. It was in for 3 months and 3000 miles. Majority of driving is 1/2 mile trips multiple times per day. Anyway I cut open the oil filter and it looked fine. The pleats were even and firm, and the plastic cage on the inside seemed fine. The ADBV was on pretty tight, however the endcaps did not seem as sturdy as Frams. Put in QSUD and a Fram Tough guard. Sorry this was a boring post, maybe I can post pics later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
hmm my oil in the accord typically doesn't darken until about 7-8k... M1 was black in 3k?
Really? do you mean dark on the dipstick or when you drain? It still looks light brown on the dipstick but when you drain its black.

I just chose the AC Delco for kicks and giggles since its the OEM Chevy filter.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

While I realize the owners manual specifies an AC Delco filter, I thought that technically the OEM filter would have a GM part number. When I was changing oil for GM cars, I usually got AC Delcos from auto part or discount stores and not the GM filters from a dealer. I'm not sure there are still GM labelled filters.

Changed the oil in the Uplander today. It had Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 and an AC Delco (Ecore) filter. The oil came out black. It was in for 3 months and 3000 miles. Majority of driving is 1/2 mile trips multiple times per day. Anyway I cut open the oil filter and it looked fine. The pleats were even and firm, and the plastic cage on the inside seemed fine. The ADBV was on pretty tight, however the endcaps did not seem as sturdy as Frams. Put in QSUD and a Fram Tough guard. Sorry this was a boring post, maybe I can post pics later.

We need those pics ASAP!
20.gif

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

While I realize the owners manual specifies an AC Delco filter, I thought that technically the OEM filter would have a GM part number. When I was changing oil for GM cars, I usually got AC Delcos from auto part or discount stores and not the GM filters from a dealer. I'm not sure there are still GM labelled filters.

My 2013 Silverado had as AC Delco PF48 oil filter on it from the factory.

AC Delco does some dumb things though, like changing who makes their filters too often. They had it right before the e-core, but i strongly dislike the e-core.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

My 2013 Silverado had as AC Delco PF48 oil filter on it from the factory.

I think my dad's '96 Buick Regal Custom had an AC PF47 too, but I was under the impression that there are still some non-AC GM part numbers. I don't think I've ever seen one, but they exist somewhere. Something like this:

photo_2__92467_zoom.JPG

There's a whole bunch of GM numbers in cross-reference guides, but I don't recall ever seeing one. I've been to a Buick dealer and I might have asked for an oil filter and passed when I saw an AC. Over the years I bought a lot of AC (later ACDelco) filters, and I remember ones that were labeled as AC Rochester, Delphi, GM UK (had a ridge around the circumference of the filter), and obvious Champion Labs ones.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
No pics? What's the point of this thread?

+1 Seems to be a trend, announce you finished an oci with a certain filter and/or cut one open, then start a separate thread showing the pics at some later time.
21.gif

^^^ I just did an OCI on the Z06 this weekend and cut open a PL14006. Stay tuned for a separate thread soon.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
.... I just did an OCI on the Z06 this weekend and cut open a PL14006. Stay tuned for a separate thread soon.
grin.gif

LOL. Me too. I just finished a ~5k oci using a Napa Gold 1348 on a Tacoma. Dissection pics of the NG1348 on a separate thread at some point.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back