VR-1 Syn Mix 15W-40 5517 miles BMW R1200R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using 2qts each, Valvoline VR-1 Synthetic 20W-50 and 10W-30. Viscosity Calculator puts that at a 15W-39. I am calling that a 'low 40Wt'.
Oil ended up a low 40wt so I am quite happy with this oil and report. Looks like a good BMW camhead oil.
2e0ibyx.jpg

Nice report
I really wish you did TBN I always wondered how well VR1 would last since its higher zinc is ideal and these things go for dirt cheap from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
Nice report
I really wish you did TBN I always wondered how well VR1 would last since its higher zinc is ideal and these things go for dirt cheap from time to time.

Maybe next time. I was not worried as 4qts of Synthetic oil in a 1200cc engine for 5500miles seems like no big stretch.

Still under warranty so I have to change every 6000mi or less and that VR-1 was just about free!

if it wasnt for the lead of 2 and tin of 1 i would have NOTHING to write about.

5500 miles....dont fall asleep driving it...this report is such a yawner that it is making me drowsy.

run that combo until you die trying to wear out the engine.

3 thumbs up

steve

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Ammolab,

Is this the regular synthetic VR-1 or the "Not Street Legal" stuff?

Regular, street oil. Watch for sales or rebates and it can be a bargain. May not be good for bikes with a wet clutch.

Nice report. You seem enthusiastic about the VR1 20w50/10w30 blend.

Are you enthusiastic enough to get a cold pumpability test done so we can see what the W-rating is?
wink.gif

I've been wondering about that.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Nice report. You seem enthusiastic about the VR1 20w50/10w30 blend.

Are you enthusiastic enough to get a cold pumpability test done so we can see what the W-rating is?
wink.gif

I've been wondering about that.

It seems to pump at the temps I am willing to ride a motorcycle.... What would you expect a tested W-rating to be on this mix?

20W. I have read papers on motor oil that say low-temperature flow characteristics can't be calculated like high-temperature viscosity can. So mixing a 10W-XX with a 20W-XX will not necessarily make a 15W-XX. I talked to an engineer at Amalie one time about doing such a blend for a test I was doing at work. I couldn't even get him to make a guess on what the low-temperature rating would be. He said it would have to be tested.

But like you say, since you're running the blend in a motorcycle, the chances of you doing a start at -25C are minimal.

Originally Posted By: Nessism
What's the issue with this oil and wet clutches? Too much moly?

That's is quite possible however moly doesn't always mean a clutch will slip. It depends on riding style,friction material etc.
One doesn't always have to shy away from an oil for a shared sump just because its got moly in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back