OHV Vs OHC Honda motors

Originally Posted By: 1999nick

Huh? What's wrong with the OHC drive belt on the Honda 160? I have it on my lawnmower, purchased in 2000, now 12 years old. I have always had an hour meter on it, and it is now at about 700 hours. I have always used Mobil 1 oil in it, changed yearly at 55 to 60 hours.

My GC 160 is 13ys/old now and has had maybe 5 oil changes it's whole life. I don't think it's got anywhere near 700hrs on it though. Anything from cheap to synthetic 5w30/10w30 has been in it, w/ 15w40 being in it the last 5yrs or so. Runs like a top and starts within a pull or two provided the throttle/choke linkage stays w/in adjustment. (common issue that will cause hard starts on the GC)

Joel

I've got a 2012 Honda mower with the 190 OHV and molded deck. Last year did valve adjustment and serviced the rear wheel gears/ bearings. Never will go back to B&S. Use 5w30 Mobil 1. Estimated yearly hours is 45 hrs - and I use my mower to mulch 2 - 60 yr old pi oak leaves. I've never raked since 2012. I change oil twice a year - mid summer & end of fall. After oil fall oil change, I drain fuel and run it out of fuel. No problems starting or oil use.

Anyone know whether it’s possible for a valve to hit the piston when the timing belt breaks on a Honda OHC GC/GS 160-190, or are they non-interference engines?

How about the GX100/GXR120 OHC engines, same question.

Thanks in advance,

~BF1

GVC engines are non interference. Most common failure is the top crank journal on vertical shaft engines as a result of the cam pin oring leaking, and people operating with a med to low oil level. They need to be at the full mark not just in the safe range. The engines can last a lifetime with proper maint.

The GX engines are great too, and way over built, however they can still fail and the older ones loose ring tension and begin to burn oil very bad. They will still runs awsome though while burning oil.

When checking GCV engines, you swipe the oil indicator clean, then lower it in but do not screw it in. If you screw it in it will give you a false reading indicating you have more oil than you actually have.

Last edited:
I have 2 Honda HRX lawn mowers, the 16 year old OHV one run so much nicers than the OHC one(only 3 years old). I haven't started the OHV one in 3 years til yestesday and it if fired up on the 1st pull. Too bad the transmission is gone on the OHV one. I think Honda have cheapen their lawn mower engines in recents years like the rest of their product lines.
You need to clean your carb.

Back