Hastings or Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For oil filters that cost in the range of 5-6 dollars, which oil filter is better, Hastings or Wix? I have tried both and I like both of them, but I was wondering if one is superior over the other. Of is there an oil filter that costs 5-6 dollars and is even better than these two?

I think that both are tops in construction quality and moderate filtration efficiency.

Baldwin filters are identical to the Hastings, and NAPA-gold & Carquest Premium filters are identical to the WIX. Also consider Purolator Premium Plus.

OEM filters are one good choice for most brands. For that price range and better filtration, I'd try Purolator Pure One (some folks have problems with them and some folks like them a lot--worth a try).

Ken

Great question. I've got auto parts stores 5 minutes from my house where I can get either the Wix or Hastings (to replace Motorcraft FL820S on 4.6 ltr F150). Both are $6.00 and change.

I see Wix specs their bypass at 12-15 psi and Hstings is at 8psi according to their respective websites. Does 8psi bypass sound sort of low? Or, is it actually better to get more full flow during cold startup? Also, the Wix website states the media is paper but the Hastings doesn't make mention of it (which leads me to believe it's also paper).

I doubt one could go wrong with either Wix or Hastings but would love some more opinions on these two.

Mikep

Another factor.....Hastings uses a nitrile anti-drain back valve whereas Wix uses a silicone valve. From what I've read, the silicone valve is the better, more reliable material.

For me, it is a toss up. Wix has the silicone drain back valve but also has a 12-15 psi bypass and thus I guessmay take a bit longer to flow cold oil or kick in in the case ofd a partially blocked media. The Hastings has an 8psi bypass which would be better at cold startup and in the case of blocked media but has the nitrile type anti-drain back valve. Both have paper media and similiar filtering efficiency.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
I believe the bypass valve PSI will vary between PN's. For example, the Wix for my car(51085) says 8-11 PSI for the bypass valve.

I don't doubt the bypass psi will vary from pn to pn. For my application, Wix 51372, Wix lists a 12-15 psi bypass. The equivelent Hastings pn, LF110, shows 8 psi bypass.

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back