Subaru EX vs. Honda GC vs. Honda GX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at pressure washers and notice the units have engine options for Subaru EX-17, Honda GC, and Honda GX 200.

What are the differences and pros/cons? I'm a prosumer: to me this means high quality and reliability, but won't be running continuously and putting a lot of hours on the engine. Just the seasonal homeowner tasks. I also want good parts availability.

I've read the GX has OHV (pushrod design) and the GC and Subaru have OHC (timing belt). Not sure of the pros/cons (reliability, performance, noise).

I've also read the GX has cast iron bore and the GC has aluminum. Since the engine won't be used often, I've wondered about rust on cast iron vs. aluminum bore.

I've also read the Honda GX has a low oil sensor.

There also appears to be displacement and compression differences.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Jake

Not really knowing the difference ,but able to post an opinion as I have a pressure washer ,,, How much will you use the pressure washer? If you had a pressure washing busisness then the most heavy duty longest lasting unit would be the best deal . As a Home owner probably anything other than a made China would be a good unit. Also the highest pressure and
GPM is better and pressure equal between 2 units the more GPM of water will clean the best. The one I have has a 13 HP Honda[ I have no Idea what kind and I should do the valve adjustment!! ] engine and an Italian made pump It came from Home Depot and does the job. I bought it in 2003.

IMO, the pump is more important than the engine, contrary to what most consumers seem to think. (This is why they make sure to brag about the engine type while burying the details of who made the pump).

I have a power washer which was used in commercial service for an unknown number of hours over an unknown number of years. Suffice it to say that it is HIGH. It has a GC160 on it which runs smooth, quiet and reliably. The pump is a Comet AXD3020 which slowly takes on water in the crankcase over a season but it is fully rebuildable.

My mower has a GXV140 on it which is a fair bit noisier, albeit "better". The engines on both pieces will probably be the longest lasting components.

^^^ agreed ^^^

The subaru engine is a good bit more sturdy than the honda. IIRC it's sleeved and has press-in bearings, and dual-mode timing on the coil (1800 rpm is the change point). Not to downplay the GC, which is by its own rights a good motor. either will outlast the pump.

HF gives no manufacturer on engine or pump. I assume that means it is yet another China stolen copy of someone else's years of R&D work. I have seen great deals on clearance at HD Sears etc and some aren't even used. I bought a really good one for half original price, never used or started. It is the pump that is most important. High grade pumps aren't cheap. The gun is important too, the DeWalt gun on mine seems very high quality.

but the cheap on from HF and then when the pump dies, buy a cat pump off ebay (120$) and mate it with the motor :)

Yeah. The HF is a very good price. I've been comparing the Karcher, and the DeWalt from Home Depot. For half the price, HF is tough to pass up. $300+ saved dollars is a lot of money. I have doubts I'll notice DeWalt/Karcher's $300 premium.

As for China "steeling"...I remember when Japan did the same thing (I remember all those cameras taking pictures of everything!).

I wouldn't mind buying the DeWalt or Karcher, but I know the $300+ is lining all the pockets of the people between me and the actual person who built it. Plus I'm sure those union workers are making more money than me.

Nikon exists today because the Zeiss optical designs they copied were so good on Leica cameras during the Korean war, word got out about it. The Nikon and Canon rangefinder cameras weren't cheap then either. They were extremely high quality products. The designs weren't copied exactly by any means. China does it blatantly, and for one goal, the gathering of money. Japan's emphasis was on quality, because they LIKE cameras. China likes MONEY. You can see it with all the pirated goods problems.

But yes Japan did copy too. Those early rangefinder Nikons, some are worth a lot of $$ today.

Look at the engines on commercial equipment--air compressors, pressure washers, cement mixers, etc.... 90% of the time there is a Honda GX series engine, usually covered in an inch of dirt and dust powering that equipment.

For home use, probably any engine will suffice so long as it's maintained.

i own both a honda gx and a honda gc they are both very good motors and should last a homeowner a lifetime.as mentioned above every piece of commercial and rental equiptment has a honda gx on it and that was proof enough for me. i am looking at the northern tools professional series with the gx160 and cat pump and this thing would prolly last a pro 10+ years and me a lifetime.

At least the Chinese copied the Honda GX series. If you are going to copy, copy the best.

The Honda GX and the Robin EX are both great engines. Reliability- toss a coin. They are both good. Our local tool rental started the move to Robin engines a couple years ago as they were having problems with Honda warranty service. The owner seems happy with his choice.

Hard to find a good pump on econo models. Usually you get a Faip or some Chinese made pump that might give you 75-100 hours of use if all the stars are aligned right.

Good deal when you can find it at a box store is the EX21/Cat pump combo at Home Depot. Once in awhile they run $100 off on it and for that price it is well worth it. Figure also that CAT pumps will always have parts availability/rebuild kits available vs the no name pumps. I guess the same can be said for AR and Comet as well.

Last edited:
FkTAOCO.jpg

I have a briggs branded Japanese. made. vanguard 12.5hp twin. runs great for a1991 model. a minute of startup smoke but no oil usage..
ken

i have a predator 79cc 3hp fresh in the box. will run. a 2-2.5kw genhead.. i had a friend freshen it up with bearings wires and ect... the genhead is being used at the mancave shed. it will be mated in the next week or two.

does anyone have specs on max water temps on the hf

The GC/GS are plastic cammed homeowners, they are the same but GS has steel sleeve. GX is a commercial series. I'll take a Subaru/BE powerease GX with a rebuildable AR or comet pump anyday over a Honda GC/GS anyday as a homeowner unit. Not all pumps are rebuildable so look for its kit first before buying if it concerns you some are "maintenence free sealed units" so unrebuildable.
Robin/Subaru utility engines are built by BE Powerease and are tough as nails. BE makes a great pressure washer. BE & Subaru GX engines both are found on Generac brand washers & generators over 5 yrs now and are top selling homeowner units.

Honda knock offs started when Honda somehow failed its copy right on its products so Lifan who already made most parts for Honda engines in China for many, many yrs leaped & just started making the complete engines.
Even made complete knock off Honda 50,70 & 90cc Honda Mini Trail motorcycles from the early 70's before Lifan was sued by Honda for using their name since they called the bikes HONGDA. AKA: Hong Kong Honda. Yes they really did name them Hongda's and Honda sued Lifan to make them stop it. Now thats too funny I dont care who you are...lol Several Honda bikes are still made by Lifan just not for Honda. lol
Honda design differences.
http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=1180-en

Powerease engine add:
http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts.com/files/1961581/uploaded/Powerease Promo.pdf

Great 2nd post (not).

You do realize this thread is 4 years old, right?

As for Subaru (Fuji) vs Honda GX (or GX clone), I will take the Honda every time. Subaru makes a good engine, but the parts are EXPENSIVE. Carb rebuild kit is $60 and a new carburetor is $110. You can get a clone GX Honda carb for $13. The Honda are super easy and super cheap to repair and keep running forever.

Duuuh bubba,
Please look up the word "CLONE". WOW! Do you not understand the Honda carb fits on all these clones so no need to buy specific brands for any of them including a Subaru or Honda? Ignore the names on them there just stickers now.
Do at least a little bit of homework before spewin off at messengers...These are "exact" replicas of GX Honda so everything fits just get the part for the right engine size/CC.
Some do have different cc/bore size though but like aftermarket carb kits pistons are everywere too.

Yes, its old thread but new people visit daily that want to learn about GX/GC/GS engine differences and it wasnt covered completely so I added a link to let Honda tell people. Not everyone read this 4 yrs ago so get over yourself.

The Comet pump on my pressure washer did not last very long so I replaced it with a General pump which has worked really well and lasted many times longer . I do recommended oil changes on both the Honda engine and the pump and have had no problems .

The General pump seems to be much better built than the comet but that's just my experience with pumps .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back