Recommendation on vacuum pump oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys and gals. I just purchase a JB 6 CFM Vacuum pump off eBay I would like to know which vacuum pump oil you guys recommend Thank you in advance

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Yellow Jacket makes a good one, that's what I normally use. Not sure there's a big difference between brands, though, they all seem to work the same.
Thank you So much for the recommendation

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Tboss
Originally Posted By: Chris142
We get it from napa
Any specific brand
napa brand. 509206 is the part # I think
Cool thank you so much

Actually, there IS a difference between vacuum-pump oils. But, in all fairness, you'd have to get into some pretty high-end stuff and some demanding, mission-critical applications before you'd notice the difference. See, for example:

http://www.pchemlabs.com/subcatagoryb.asp?pid=Ideal-Vacuum-Oils,-PFPE

(And you guys thought high-quality synthetic motor oils were expensive.)

Make sure that pump never had any silicone based fluids in it. Silicone lubricants are typically used in vacuum pumps for numerous reasons. However - they are completely INCOMPATIBLE with any other type of fluid. They turn into a big, thick, gooey mess if you mix them.

If you're only pulling a light vacuum, any diester based fluid will work just fine. It will do better at dissolving away any sludge that can affect the performance of the pump. Shy away from cheap oils if you want it to last long. Cheap oils will break down and you will actually not be able to pull as big of a vacuum with a lower grade fluid. This is because the fluid will volatilize under the low pressures and ruin your ability to pull vacuum.

Silicones>Diester>Mineral Oil

If you're not pulling too much of a vacuum, mineral oil will work just fine. The trick to vacuum pumps is a low vapor pressure oil. You don't want the oil vaporizing under vacuum as it will destroy your vacuum (expanding gases will lower the vacuum you can pull).

The higher the vacuum you're pulling - the higher end fluid you will "need" to use. Silicone is usually only used in vacuum pumps that pull some major vacuum for various reasons.

I usually end up using Robinair fluid from a tool truck because that is the easiest way to get it when you are working at an auto repair center. Robinair makes numerous refrigerant machines for cars, so I am sure the fluid is right for refrigerant vacuum pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back