Hydraulic oil for rust proofing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran into a friend today, turns out a local shop uses hyd oil. My first thought was no, not a good idea, but I'm guessing it is still 100 times better than nothing. I don't know if the shop is using used hyd oil or fresh; and my friend plans to doit once per year--it cost him $80, it took 20 minutes (? Maybe I heard wrong) and apparently they did drill some holes in the doors to spray in there.

It is his work truck and it was well used. I'd think there are better products, but the price wasn't bad. Just never heard of using hyd oil. Bar and chain oil seems more popular around here, have a couple of friends who swear by it.

not aware of hydraulic oil having sufficient anti-rust additives to provide sufficient rust-proofing to begin with.

Over the years I've learned that certain anti-rust sprays , from the famous "waxoil" to some other ones available here in continental NA where primary ingredient is lambswool oil, etc.

I like the lambswool oil type better...like LPS-3 which I have been using for 2 decades now...best yet: it seeps into nooks and crannies to establish a waxy film and an anti-moisture barrier...

Q.

Hydraulic oil collects moisture.It does that so when the hydraulic system heats up,it will steam off...thats done to keep the moisture off polished rams and valves.One rust pit,and they are done for.As a rust proofer,I wouldnt think it would be a best bet.

Originally Posted By: Quest
not aware of hydraulic oil having sufficient anti-rust additives to provide sufficient rust-proofing to begin with.

Hydraulic and other similar oils tend only to have "R&O" type add packs.

Used oils could have acids, so I'd be wary.

For $80 for the stuff... I'd probably pay $30-40 more and get the right stuff at Krown/carwell.

Here is an idea....

My old 1990 Chevy truck has a rear seal leak at the tranny....where the drive shaft connects to the tranny.

It isn't a crazy fast leak. But it's there. I have to add a 1/2 quart of fluid every 5-7k miles.

But this old truck is pretty rust underneath. Floor pans, underside of bed, brackets....all of it is covered in rust.

The only area that isn't rust, it's actually bright shiny metal, is a 12" wide path that has been sprayed with ATF for who knows how long. Those brackets, that area under the bed, those areas of the frame rails, etc. etc....are all VIRGIN CLEAN STEEL!!! It's hilarious.

Why not use ATF?

ATF isn't too far removed from hyd oil, no? Even if it absorbs some moisture it probably is still much better than nothing. Should keep most of the moisture away.

I'm still going to use FF, though, on mine.

Originally Posted By: Donald
These oils will over time wash off and pollute the earth.

Get the correct product, like Fluid Film or Krown or Carwell, etc.

right on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back