2013 Accord K24W1 DI - TGMO 0W20 SN - 13086 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is, sent out the sample Wednesday, got the results back today, super fast turn around time.

- Wear is virtually unchanged from when I ran the oil for half amount of OCI
- Flash point is low, DI related?
- Oil thickened a bit, but I noticed no MPG change
- When I dumped this fill, OLM read 40% oil life left
- @ $6.09/qt, I'm really getting my money's worth running this oil
- I didn't have to add any oil during this 13,000mi run
- TGMO made in heaven?

Accord13_oilreport.jpg

I'm still a noob at this stuff but isn't al a little on the higher side?

Overall the sample looks great to me though
smile.gif

Last edited:
lowish flashpoint is from the fuel dilution at 1.5, but not hurting as far as wear metals are concerned, what kind of driving do you do? all highway miles?

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. All wear metals look good for the mileage. 40% on the OLM at 13k! The new earth dreams engines must be calibrated for longer OCI's then the previous K24's. I'm not sure I would want to take it any further without knowing TAN also. Interesting that the TBN was 3.0 at 5,873 miles miles and only dropped to 2.4 at 13,086 miles. It's seems like Mobil 1 UOA's show similar results with very little TBN reduction after the initial hit. Maybe similar base stocks are shared?

Are you getting this car out on the highway at higher speeds for extended periods of time routinely?

Maybe the 40% oil life will drop faster after 13K miles(?)

Do you use a Top Tier gasoline?

That oil and engine must be the best in the business. Really eye opening.

Plus, I'm guessing the oil went in at only 10,000 miles on the unit. You'd think there would have still been some break in wear going on.

That engine and oil are oh so capable!

Last edited:
all right guys, I guess I had a brain [censored] when I did my calculation, and missed my maintenance notes.

I didn't run this oil for 13,000mi, it was more like 7200mi when the OLM read 40% oil life left, just want to clarify.

I do about 30% city and 70% freeway driving, and I use strictly Chevron 87 octane gas.

I guess I'm on target to change my oil every 10,000mi.

I'd ask for a re-test of viscosity because that would be a lot of thickening, especially considering the large amount of fuel dilution. If it's correct, there is something weird going on.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
all right guys, I guess I had a brain [censored] when I did my calculation, and missed my maintenance notes.

I didn't run this oil for 13,000mi, it was more like 7200mi when the OLM read 40% oil life left, just want to clarify.

I do about 30% city and 70% freeway driving, and I use strictly Chevron 87 octane gas.

I guess I'm on target to change my oil every 10,000mi.

Makes much more sense now. I noticed the numbers not matching up between your last oci and this one. Since your car is still under warranty I would have been curious why you were taking the oil out to 13k. Are the service intervals still 5k and 10k, severe and normal, respectively? Or does the owner's manual do away with those in deference to the OLM?

I think Blackstone should have double checked the oil interval numbers also, since you only have two uoa, but whatever, just my opinion. Does not give me confidence that they are paying attention to the details.

Was the engine fully hot when you drained the oil, in other words, had it been on the highway? I'm wondering about the fuel number and possible link to the low flashpoint.

As has already been mentioned, the vis@100 does seem on the high end, with possible oxidative thickening. TBN relative to TAN might bring into focus how the oil is really doing. Aside from these nits it appears it held up well and is flowing through a stout engine. That said, since the engine is a "new" design, or at least the introduction of DI is, I'd take the next fill to ~7500k. Better yet, to 30k on the odometer, to give yourself a nice round number to start those 10k runs.
smile.gif

A bit off topic: how are you enjoying the ride? Any issues?

Thanks for posting. UOA on the new Accord are scarce.

Originally Posted By: JAG
I'd ask for a re-test of viscosity because that would be a lot of thickening, especially considering the large amount of fuel dilution. If it's correct, there is something weird going on.

+1

Viscosity is off considering fuel and FP. Retest is in order. If it comes back the same the thickening would be something to be concerned about IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back