2003 Jetta 1.9L TDI ALH UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
03_ALH_JETTA_10082013_page_1.jpg

This is my first UOA since acquiring the Jetta in April. I drained the T6 a little early because I wanted to see how engine dependent parameters like %fuel, %antifreeze and %insolubles were running, and I was just curious about how wear metals & TBN looked. That, and I had a rare free day last weekend to change my oil before winter sets in. Prior to the T6 in this report the engine had Castrol OE LL-01 5w-30, supposedly a VW 505.00 and 505.01 approved oil. Before that the previous owner used TDT regularly. The filter in this report was a Mann HU 726/2 X cartridge.

The current fill is Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5W-30 with a Mahle filter. This looked like a good diesel oil with extended drain potential, and a little lower viscosity for winter. My plan is to take Blackstone's advice and extend the OC interval. I'll sample the HDD around 9500 miles and make my decision whether to push it or drain it then.

Comments are welcome.

Last edited:
On a lower mileage ALH like that, run 10k on any good synthetic diesel rated oil. With a high TBN 4 + on a synth Rotella T6 you can buy easily and cheap, I'd keep going with that.

Is it 100% stock or do you have any EGR removal/tune?

Its a good looking report.

Originally Posted By: jayg
On a lower mileage ALH like that

Makes me feel good to hear a 121k ALH is considered low mileage. I intend to keep it for a while, at least to 200k with my current commute.

The car is absolutely stock. The most radical thing was the previous owner used a K&N air filter. I threw that away and installed a Mann air filter.

The oil in it now is my first Amsoil purchase. I wanted something with a little lower viscosity for winter and with a proven track record for extended OCI. I'm going to see how it is holding up at about 10k miles and make a decision then. I have to admit the T6 held up superbly. With the absurdly low coast of T6 on sale it may end up being my oil of choice.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Originally Posted By: jayg
On a lower mileage ALH like that

Makes me feel good to hear a 121k ALH is considered low mileage. I intend to keep it for a while, at least to 200k with my current commute.

The car is absolutely stock. The most radical thing was the previous owner used a K&N air filter. I threw that away and installed a Mann air filter.

The oil in it now is my first Amsoil purchase. I wanted something with a little lower viscosity for winter and with a proven track record for extended OCI. I'm going to see how it is holding up at about 10k miles and make a decision then. I have to admit the T6 held up superbly. With the absurdly low coast of T6 on sale it may end up being my oil of choice.

Good choice on ditching th K&N . These hotwire MAF cars don't like them long term. Many ALH cars are 3-400K + nowadays on TDIclub.com and still pulling great numbers.

With how you looked on the T6, i'd do that to 10k and not look back.

200k maybe a goal you quickly pass.
Timing belt mileage is critical, as well as who did it and what parts were replaced.
That UOA report shows how well Rotella works in ALH engines. I'd stick with it as well as 10k OCI.
Enjoy the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back