Liqui Moly Mos2, snake oil or the real thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read some articles about people getting significant fuel economy increase from using this stuff.

After reading my owners manual GM recommends not using any oil additives.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Only oil additive I ever use. Nothing bad to say about it.

Nothing bad to say about it, but is there anything good to say about it?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I found no notable mpg increase in either vehicle using it.
The engine *may* run smoother/quieter, but can't be sure.

So they hope the placebo effect kicks in.

It is not snake oil.
It will not harm your engine or plug your oil filter.
The product has been on the market since the 1970s.
Some car manufacturers have actually sold MoS2 (in their own packaging/bottles) through their dealer's parts departments.
The manufacturer is reputable.
It does what they say it does. Note that the manufacturer does NOT make the claim that it will increase gas mileage, but, most people (myself included) have gotten better gas mileage with it. For most people (myself included) it improves gas mileage an average of about 5%, enough to more than pay for itself. There are a couple of long threads in the oil additive section where several people have tested and confirmed this.
Our host has provided interesting reading material in the FAQ section on this website about what MoS2 does and how it works (including electron microscope images of how MoS2 bonds to the wear parts inside an engine).
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/applications-for-lubrication/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/what-is-blow-by/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: surfstar
I found no notable mpg increase in either vehicle using it.
The engine *may* run smoother/quieter, but can't be sure.

So they hope the placebo effect kicks in.

I've been using liqui-moly products for years now. Every single product works as advertised.
I've got mixed results as far as fuel consumption. My moms caliber saw no change in consumption but the engine started much easier as compared to before I put it in. It was last winter and in -40 mornings it was very slow turning over. After using mos2 it turned over and started much faster.
My charger gained 10% mileage on the highway,repeatably after using mos2 but no real change in the city mileage.
My 99 chev gained over 100kms per tank after using it. My girls van gained over 100kms per tank after using it.
It could be wear dependent. A higher mile motor may reap more of a benefit than a low mile motor however my chargers only had 60000 miles on it when I used it.
Mileage will depend on driving style. As far as pro's and cons I haven't experienced a single negative effect using it.

I added 5oz's to wife's 2012 Equinox 2.4,10K engine runs quieter, smoother.
I added 7oz's to my '12 RAM express Hemi,15K on engine. Engine seems snappier. I'm convinced it does help/work. Even with winter gas I'm still getting over 19MPG. I now have 14 cans in my oil stash.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I added 5oz's to wife's 2012 Equinox 2.4,10K engine runs quieter, smoother.
I added 7oz's to my '12 RAM express Hemi,15K on engine. Engine seems snappier. I'm convinced it does help/work. Even with winter gas I'm still getting over 19MPG. I now have 14 cans in my oil stash.

Hehehe. I've got a stash of it too. And cera-tec. Like I don't have enough fluids on stash I just insist on more.

Ive used it in two vehicles. After 500 miles it made no difference in my Accord, that I could tell anyway. It seems as if it helped in the Uplander however. The last oil change was with Mobil 1 0w30 and the engine developed a tick, about 1500 miles after the MOS2 was added the tick is much quieter.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Only oil additive I ever use. Nothing bad to say about it.

Nothing bad to say about it, but is there anything good to say about it?

Well we know that Mos2 is a good anti friction additive or else oil companies would not have started using it in some of their oils. The last time I fully paid kept track of it in my truck, with the same oil with and without the Mos2 I saw an increase in fuel economy between .7 - 1.2 MPG over about 5 tank fulls. Does that make a huge difference? Not really, however it is another 25-30 miles per tank of gas. I wasn't using it looking for mpg increases, rather as added protection and wear reduction for my engines since I keep my cars for 10+ years. Many may debate any point of adding anything to the oil with the old argument that there many many vehicles on the road that never use anything other than conventional inexpensive oil and last longer than the owner keeps the vehicle. That is all fine and dandy, but it makes me feel "better" to know that there are high quality lubricants in my vehicles. Same applies to the parts I use. Yeah $19.99 lifetime warranty brake pads are fine for a lot of people, but I personally prefer to spend the extra money on a high quality trusted brake pad than the lifetime warranty "I change them yearly" game plan that some people enjoy.

To each his own. I am just one of those people who take care of their belongings, and it usually pays off in the long run with things that last and look and work as they did when they were new.

MoS2 isn't snake oil, and Lubro Moly is the best form of MoS2 I know of. I use it as an EP anti wear additive, not for fuel economy reasons.

IMHO unless you drive the same stretch of long distance at the same speed in similar weather (winds, temp) it would be hard to measure mpg differences reliably.

I'd used some Mobil 1 0w30 that claimed fuel efficiency gains but of course these are too subtle to observe. In weather that isn't cold, it would be hard to measure mpg differences in normal driving btwn 0w30 10w30 and even from the latter to 10w40, although I'm sure they exists. It's just hard to detect those 1% to 3% differences.

Install a MAP sensor gauge and learn about hypermiling, that would save you more on fuel probably. The best way to improve fuel efficiency though, is to get a car designed for efficiency. (I don't drive enough to make it worth it for me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back