Hyundai using rebranded Techron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my manual for my 12 Accent, it says to use a quality fuel system cleaner at every oil change interval if not using top tier gas. I usually fill up at Shells, Valeros, Chevrons, ConocoPhillips. But since I'm OCD, I bought the cleaners anyways. I have noticed that the hyundai genuine fluids fuel cleaner bottle looks identical to the chevron Techron bottle. Can anyone confirm of they are indeed the same? I started using the chevron brand a few oil changes ago because it's about half the price!

Wouldnt surprise me, thats what BMW does also. Techron is great stuff, just put some in the Uplander tonight. Its being used on a 12 hour round trip, will change the oil when it gets back.

I'm also intrigued by Lucas fuel system cleaner. The one that says "tune up in a bottle" on it. Would you know how it compares to the Techron?

Yeah, the Hyundai stuff is Techron. I put a bottle of it in tank with each oil change. Buy the Techron at an auto parts store when they do a 'buy-one-get-one-free' sale.

Yes it is exactly the same. I usually direct my customers elsewhere to purchase Techron if they ask for a bottle, considering my parts department wants $18/bottle. I can't in good conscience sell it for that price when I know it can be had for less than half of that.

Originally Posted By: salv
Yes it is exactly the same. I usually direct my customers elsewhere to purchase Techron if they ask for a bottle, considering my parts department wants $18/bottle. I can't in good conscience sell it for that price when I know it can be had for less than half of that.

That's good to hear! An honest man in a dealership. Please don't change!

BMW claims their Fuel System Cleaner Plus "contains Techron", and is in an identical bottle. I've not been able to find an MSDS to verify if it's the exact same as the store-bought, but they say you can use a full 20 oz bottle in a tank of gas every 3k.

There's no big secret now when it comes to fuel cleaners. The active ingredient will almost always be polyether amines, although most of a bottle will be a carrier solvent. Most MSDS will note that the cleaning ingredients are proprietary, although some make no mention of anything but the solvent. The Red Line SI-1 MSDS makes specific note that it's 30-40% PEA by volume.

Anyone can buy a suitable bulk PEA from a large chemical company like Huntsman or BASF.

http://worldaccount.basf.com/wa/AP~en_GB/Catalog/ChemicalsAP/pi/BASF/Brand/puradd
http://ir.huntsman.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=186725&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1070004&highlight=

I've seen SI-1 at a Honda dealer's parts department. It was on an outside shelf with the major fluids like ATF or PSF, and not behind the counter.

Originally Posted By: dparm
BMW claims their Fuel System Cleaner Plus "contains Techron", and is in an identical bottle. I've not been able to find an MSDS to verify if it's the exact same as the store-bought, but they say you can use a full 20 oz bottle in a tank of gas every 3k.

I use the bottle for 12 gallon tanks vs the 20 gallon tanks. I think it's 1 ounce per gallon. I read that too much cleaner can actually deteriorate fuel lines. Is this true? Sorry for the noob questions!

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
There's no big secret now when it comes to fuel cleaners. The active ingredient will almost always be polyether amines, although most of a bottle will be a carrier solvent. Most MSDS will note that the cleaning ingredients are proprietary, although some make no mention of anything but the solvent. The Red Line SI-1 MSDS makes specific note that it's 30-40% PEA by volume.

Anyone can buy a suitable bulk PEA from a large chemical company like Huntsman or BASF.

http://worldaccount.basf.com/wa/AP~en_GB/Catalog/ChemicalsAP/pi/BASF/Brand/puradd
http://ir.huntsman.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=186725&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1070004&highlight=

I've seen SI-1 at a Honda dealer's parts department. It was on an outside shelf with the major fluids like ATF or PSF, and not behind the counter.

I've heard great things about the Red Line additives. Especially their oils. Ill have to investigate that one for the next time I need to add some cleaner. Thanks for the links!

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: dparm

I use the bottle for 12 gallon tanks vs the 20 gallon tanks. I think it's 1 ounce per gallon. I read that too much cleaner can actually deteriorate fuel lines. Is this true? Sorry for the noob questions!

Unlikely with a modern car. Fuel lines today would be made with materials to withstand anything currently found in fuel, including alcohols, detergents, or other additives.

Way back when, Chevron used to recommend that for Techron Concentrate, to preferably use it just before an oil change. It was something about depleting the oil additives, although they were never specific about what it might interfere with when the detergent inevitably got past the rings. They don't say anything about it now.

Way back when, Chevron used to recommend that for Techron Concentrate, to preferably use it just before an oil change. It was something about depleting the oil additives, although they were never specific about what it might interfere with when the detergent inevitably got past the rings. They don't say anything about it now.

I remember reading this, so that is how I have always used it.
BTW, it is best to add Techron to your tank when the vehicle is being used for normal day-to-day city type driving (short trips, stop and go, frequent acceleration, idling, etc). It doesn't do very much good when you add it to your tank and drive through a whole tank of gas on the highway.

Originally Posted By: wag123

I remember reading this, so that is how I have always used it.
BTW, it is best to add Techron to your tank when the vehicle is being used for normal day-to-day city type driving (short trips, stop and go, frequent acceleration, idling, etc). It doesn't do very much good when you add it to your tank and drive through a whole tank of gas on the highway.

If it's being used to clean up a dirty engine, then I don't think it matters. But if you're talking about preventative maintenance, they I suppose an extra amount of detergent might help for this kind of driving.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
In my manual for my 12 Accent, it says to use a quality fuel system cleaner at every oil change interval if not using top tier gas. I usually fill up at Shells, Valeros, Chevrons, ConocoPhillips. But since I'm OCD, I bought the cleaners anyways. I have noticed that the hyundai genuine fluids fuel cleaner bottle looks identical to the chevron Techron bottle. Can anyone confirm of they are indeed the same? I started using the chevron brand a few oil changes ago because it's about half the price!

KIA put out a bulletin not to long ago, stating Techron is an approved fuel system cleaner, and should be used every 7500, if top tier gas is not always used. I'm almost sure hyundai would have put out the same bulletin.

BMW and Chevron developed Techron to eliminate intake valve loading. Great stuff and the "System Cleaner" is more concentrated than the "injector cleaner"

My Hyundai OM states "Never add any fuel system cleaning agents to the fuel tank other than what has been specified. (Consult an authorized Hyundai dealer for details.)"

The page this is stated on is half blank (page half used). Seems stupid to me. I'm not going to consult a dealer for them to try and sell me a marked up product that's probably easy to find OTC and cheaper elsewhere. It probably is Techron by the way the bottle looks but haven't looked into it.
I have bottles of Techron and Redline S1 anyway.
They could have specified something other than to yak with a dealer.
Soon I'll hit up the dealer for another half dozen or so OEM oil filters. I've seen the fuel system cleaner bottles right at the parts counter, in fact it's not on the counter or behind it. It's on a display shelf isolated a couple feet in front of the counter with other misc. items, so one has to stand right next to it. Then I have to walk over to another/different counter to pay for my filters and there is more fuel system cleaner etc. right there on the floor in front of the counter.... like maybe I missed all this stuff at the counter I just walked away from.
Wonder if I took a 2 for 1 sale ad in and see if they price match, then tell them naw... I'd rather get it elsewhere, where the turnover moves so hopefully I get a newer bottle, naw, I already have Techron and Redline.... just give me my filters and some drain plug washers.

Last edited:
My local stealership had both the Hyundai branded and retail versions of Techron bottles for sale. The retail was the opposite size (larger? smaller? I can't remember) than the Hyundai. One treated more gallons.

I add a bottle of store bought Techron in the last fill up before the end of an OCI. I'm at 7,500 miles with 5w-30 QSUD synthetic + Purolator/Hyundai filters, on 87 regular pump in both cars.

What the canned statement means is to used only their approved cleaner since there are so many in the market that do not good or maybe even harm engine components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back