Tell Me About Subaru Boxer Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our family has had several.

1980 DL wagon. 1.8L engine, true 4WD, had about 13 horsepower and could climb a tree with the proper tires. Rusted out eventually.

1996 Outback 2.5 H4. Solid little car, most issues were results of prior service...or lack there of. Plugs were a pain. Developed the classic phase 1 internal HG leak a while before it got totaled.

2003 Outback 2.5 H4. Current ride. Very happy. Only issues are rust on every bolt from 8 years of Chicago winters. Will be getting the 100k tune up next year, expecting $600-$900 depending on how much I can do myself.

2006 Outback XT 2.5 turbo H4. Too much fun. Wish I got to drive it more, but it is my parent's vehicle and not mine.

No trouble getting to the spark plugs here!

Picture001.jpg

The AWD does not have issues unless the owner mismatches the tires. It has not changed much since the 1980's and still remains a top AWD system out there besides Audi.

DIY is straight forward with Subaru with previous EJ engines that spanned from 1989-present in various forms. I am unclear though on new design boxer engine. I am guessing Subaru changed little.

The 2.5 EJ(non turbo) motor suffered premature head gasket failures from 1996-2004. I am unclear if this was ever resolved. Interestingly enough the turbo 2.5L, turbo 2.0L, 2.2L, 1.8L EJ engines never hit this problem.

I own two albeit turbo models (2005 Legacy GT and 2004 WRX) and beyond happy. The turbo models require no more maintenance although spark plugs are little more difficult to replace due to poor access from turbo plumbing.

I have a 2004 Subaru Legacy, just clicked over 112,000 miles. With the 5 speed, it runs pretty good, even in the Colorado Rockies. In snow, the car is awesome, gets me where I need to go every time. Other than t-belt, fluid changes, spark plugs, and oil changes, this car has been very reliable. I'm very happy with it, would buy another in a heartbeat!

My 1997 Legacy 2.2L is the most reliable car I have owned.

I have just plain beat this car up. I frequently do 85 mph up I-70 through the mountains in fourth gear.... Thank goodness I don't have a tachometer! 162,000 on the ticker so far and still going strong. The AWD is the best I have found and just plain ridiculous in the snow with the I-Pikes.

Originally Posted By: sw99
My 1997 Legacy 2.2L is the most reliable car I have owned.

My brother has a 1996 with ~200Kmi. He bought it used with well over 100K. His high-school aged kids beat the heck out of it and it still runs/shifts/drives perfectly. The only problem is it's been parked for about a year now due to a massive internal coolant leak. He just doesn't have the need to dig into the head gaskets at this point.

Joel

There is a thread on the Forester forums about high mileage 2.5 Boxer engines. Quite a few people have put well over 300k miles on these engines. I have 134k on mine and plan on keeping it awhile.

I own a 2011 Impreza WRX. It has the old turbocharged 2.5l EJ series engine which is a tried and tested platform.

It's currently got 36,500 miles and had no engine issues(knock on wood lol).

Engine Oil change isn't as difficult as some members are making it out to be. Oil drain plug is straight forward enough to remove. Oil filter requires a special tool to make removal a breeze. You need this, a four inch ratchet extension and a ratchet.

I've replaced transmission gear oil which require a T70 torx socket and the rear diff plug can be taken out by a 1/2inch breaker bar.

The issues I've had so far is a blown front driver side strut which was replaced under warranty (After I hit a massive pothole down I80W going about 75mph). The rear diff plug was loose from the factory so I had a little gear oil seepage. Dealer tightened everything back up to factory spec. I went through one broken sun visor also replaced under warranty.

As everyone mentioned Subaru's are tanks on snow and ice with proper tires. They aren't designed for extreme off-roading though they are very very capable.

My car is such fun car to drive. Now a friend of mine has a 2013WRX. His wife drives a 2010 Impreza. None of us had any major maintenance issues.

Last edited:
back in the day, all subarus were underpowered. Here's a game--- ironic sets of words you'd never here together in real life.

Subaru - drag strip
Subaru - fast
Subaru - overpowered
Subaru - burnout

haha.

ANYHOO, that means that they made smaller engines that spent their lives being pushed pretty hard. I think they learned to overbuild the powerplants because of this.

When the early 2L turbo EJ20 Legacy started coming in I made a lot of money from repairing them. The twin turbo EJ20 Legacys from the mid 1990s were even worse, but people seem to love them and thought they were indestructible, maybe because Subaru were winning the WRC at the time. I believe they are a lot better now than they use to be.

Ex wife's 2005 Legacy with the 2.5 NA engine seemed easy. Oil filter was easy to get to, spark plugs were easy. Wasn't looking forward to the timing belt from reading the procedure. Coolant change wasn't bad except for having to find an extra large Torx bit and using some "persuasion" to get the drain plug off the engine block.

Originally Posted By: meep
back in the day, all subarus were underpowered. Here's a game--- ironic sets of words you'd never here together in real life.

Subaru - drag strip
Subaru - fast
Subaru - overpowered
Subaru - burnout

haha.

ANYHOO, that means that they made smaller engines that spent their lives being pushed pretty hard. I think they learned to overbuild the powerplants because of this.

An older sibling of mine purchased a brand-new Subaru Justy 4dr 4x4 in 1989 or 1990. It was a 5spd manual and had a carbureted inline 3cyl. It actually wasn't too bad power-wise, but it was the size of a Yugo. Lots of oil leaks on that little bugger. So many vacuum lines and whatnot, you couldn't drop a penny through the engine compartment.

Originally Posted By: JTK

An older sibling of mine purchased a brand-new Subaru Justy 4dr 4x4 in 1989 or 1990. It was a 5spd manual and had a carbureted inline 3cyl. It actually wasn't too bad power-wise, but it was the size of a Yugo. Lots of oil leaks on that little bugger. So many vacuum lines and whatnot, you couldn't drop a penny through the engine compartment.

It was not really Subaru engine nor boxer. It was a Suzuki engine and one of the last carbed (thank god) motors sold in the USA.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

It was not really Subaru engine nor boxer. It was a Suzuki engine and one of the last carbed (thank god) motors sold in the USA.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't a boxer, but had no idea it wasn't even a Subaru engine.

The first time I changed the oil for him on it, I dropped the filter and couldn't find it! Once mounted, you couldn't see it. Had to feel around for it. I'm glad to hear that inline wasn't a Subaru engine! IIRC, that car went with my bro's ex wife. LOL!

I would completely concur with this. My 99 is easily one of the best designed vehicles that I've either owned or driven as a rental car period over the years irrespective of year. Very solid, comfortable feeling when on the road and for me at 6'2" when I get in I feel like the entire cabin from the seat to the roof was injection molded around me it's such a perfect fit. Maintenance is supremely easy on N/A models the oil filter and pan are right in front of you as soon as you lay down, no need to jack the vehicle up. Much thought and care went into it's design with logic and practicality as the lead elements IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My 2000 Forester was the best vehicle I've ever owned. Running strong when I sold it at 127,000 miles to a neighbor who had 154,000 on it when he moved away. No major issues with it. Just an excellent vehicle.

looks like the oil filter on the new ones would be pretty easy to change. Looks like you could punch a hole in the bottom with a hammer and punch, let it drain while the oil pan does, then use a pair of mechanix gloves to spin it off once you break it loose to you avoid burning your hands. that would be my plan of attack if I had one anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back