2014 Mazda 3 Initial Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the question to Mazda aficionados:- Has Mazda corporate ever acknowledged this problem? Are there any promotional material from Mazda saying that either they have fixed the problem for their current models or at least saying some concrete things about the corrosion protection and a substantial warranty against it?

I rarely see Mazda 6. Even Miatas only come out of hibernation in summer around here. So most Mazdas that I do see are 3 series.

Has anybody seen other late model Mazda with rust bubbles?

I have an 07 mazda 3 and a previous vehicle was an 07 Mazda 6 and neither had rust issues though I did run them through the cheapest touch free carwash that sprayed the underbody weekly in winter when there's salt.

Do people really wash their cars on a weekly basis? I'd think that'd turn them into icicles.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Has anybody seen other late model Mazda with rust bubbles?

Mazda 3, Protege, Protege 5 and MPV seem to rust on a rather quick basis.
I see quite few Mazda 6's on the road and they don't show rust, same for CX-7 and CX-9 SUVs.

Mine, thanks to a pretty rigorous rustproofing regimen is rust free.

Unfortunately, south of the border, the most rust-proofing is all fake. We don't have your quality franchises around this area.

Originally Posted By: brandini
I have an 07 mazda 3 and a previous vehicle was an 07 Mazda 6 and neither had rust issues though I did run them through the cheapest touch free carwash that sprayed the underbody weekly in winter when there's salt.

That's been my regimen with my 2007 MS3- and it is rust free as well...

Originally Posted By: MCompact

wowee a whole 5 years. seriously

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: jrustles
I'd oil and seal problem areas myself, personally just because I hate rust so much.

Who doesn't?
It devalues your car.
It can make your car unsafe.
It looks like [censored].
And it can make your car a royal PITA to work on.

There is nothing good about rust, and that is why there is no brand lower on my list to own.

If I lived in a southern US state, I probably would have bought a first generation Speed3, because I think the car is awesome. My experience living here with friends cars (Mazda) has been nothing but negative.

Well as a mechanic, I agree with your sentiments on rust, but I think your solution is too extreme. You really have to do nothing for years to get any car to rust out (no washes, no rust prevention, sprayed regularly with salt) I've seen later model (2000+) BMWs, Benzs, Lexus' etc with big unsightly rust spots and rust stains running down from the side moulding and around the wheel wells and window treatments, and you know what? They look like sh*t; like they've never seen a wash before. And those are high end models, not run of the mill rusted out EF/EG/EK Civics, the latter actually being built in a salted market.

Agreed, I recently saw two late model MB's, guessing early 2000's, the luxury liners, looking absolutely grotesque, as if weeping rust from every seam and crevice, top to bottom. I was shocked.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: MCompact

wowee a whole 5 years. seriously

They've only been making the 3 since I think 2004... Apparently the earlier model years have the issue... though I wouldn't buy one as the engine and transmission (not to mention looks an interior) got markedly better in 06.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back