Lowes 1/2 Kobalt wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed to pass a few hours during jury duty and went to Lowes. They had the 1/2" Kobalt torque wrench for about $55 marked down from over $90. The guy in the tool dept said he thought they might be bringing in some new torque wrenches. This has a lifetime warranty.

Check the location of manufacture. Some older Kobalt torque wrenches were made in the USA.

Often home improvement stores mark down the price of a good tool to make way for a batch of typical Chinese junk.

My father and I have gotten great tools for half price because of this.

I think I remember reading on Garage Journal that the Kobalt torque wrenches say lifetime warranty on the box, but the paperwork inside says one year warranty. For most brands, torque wrenches do not have a lifetime warranty. I also think they may have been going on and off that price. Again, check GJ.

I would suspect the OP's wrench is Taiwanese. The USA made models were discontinued a while ago and the imported model is the one that I think has been going on sale recently.

For a little more you can get the new USA made Husky torque wrenches. They appear to be identical to the USA made Gearwrench torque wrenches, which are well liked.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206674

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Thanks for posting. I'm in the market for a torque wrench. Did you happen to notice the advertised range of torque settings the wrench supported?

50 to 250 ft/lbs.

Package says lifetime, but inside it says 1 yr. Called and they said 1 yr. Will return in 89 days.

Made in Taiwan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Thanks for posting. I'm in the market for a torque wrench. Did you happen to notice the advertised range of torque settings the wrench supported?

50 to 250 ft/lbs.

Package says lifetime, but inside it says 1 yr. Called and they said 1 yr. Will return in 89 days.

Made in Taiwan.

Thanks for saving me a trip to Lowes.
thumbsup2.gif

My Craftsman needs calibration. One quote is $45. Its got a 1979 date but always in its plastic case. 0-150.

But that may not be enough these days. A leaf spring bolt I need to replace is 220 ft lbs.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I suspect it is probably identical to the one being sold at HF for $10 this week!

They're not identical. The heads are similar, but not identical if you look closely. Both ratchets have heads that are a copy of the old Proto design, but many ratchets copy the Proto design.

The HF only goes to 150 ft-lbs. The Kobalt goes to 250 ft-lbs.

They have different handles.

The HF is actually an adequate wrench if you just want something affordable. I have CDI and Armstrong torque wrenches and a cheap HF torque wrench that's about 7 years old. The HF has been used a lot and still checks out as in specification. It's definitely not the fanciest torque wrench, but they work fine.

A couple people on Garage Journal have the Kobalt and they seem to like it, so it very well may not be a bad choice. It definitely has a nicer grip than the HF and the higher torque range is useful.

HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-239.html

Kobalt
http://www.lowes.com/pd_337334-22328-85602_0__?productId=3381202&Ntt=torque+wrench&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtorque%2Bwrench&facetInfo=

You are absolutely right. The Kobalt and HF are NOT the same. Kobalt has different range and it looks much nicer.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You are absolutely right. The Kobalt and HF are NOT the same. Kobalt has different range and it looks much nicer.

But is it worth the $59 with only a 1 yr warranty?

Well, if you are looking for 200-250 ft-lb, this is the only game! Personally, I don't think there is anything on my car where I need to tighten to exact specification in that specific torque range, so I would just spend $10 instead of $60.

I know there are places where 180 ft-lb is specified but generally that means the mechanic just keeps his impact gun there just a tad longer!

I am somewhat annoyed at the 1yr vs lifetime warranty. (Box vs instructions).

I am leaning towards getting my Craftsman calibrated for $45 and returning the Kobalt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back