Cooking to soften fish bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to fish, and I like to eat fish. However, sometimes I get frustrated with the bones, particularly in bony fish, or small fish like sanddabs. I looked online for a way to soften the bones, and the one I found that I liked suggested cooking the fish on low heat, about 200*, for about 3 hours. I got a couple of rockfish out of the freezer and thawed them. After washing and scaling, I put them in a rectangular cake pan, and cut about 1/2 an onion and spread it out on top of the fish. I also cut up a red bell pepper and a couple of red potatoes and put them in as well. I set the oven at 225*, since I wanted the temp to be beyond the boiling point of water.

Three hours later, the potatoes were very done, and the fish bones were beginning to soften. However, the bones weren't soft enough to eat. After another hour, the bones were still a little firmer than I would like, so I put it back and went outside to weld stuff. I think the grand total was about 5 hours to make the bones really edible, but these are rockfish, which have some pretty sturdy bones. If you wanted to, you could eat the spine. I didn't want to, I just didn't want to have to continually fish needle-like bones out of my mouth. I was able to chew up and swallow the bones with the meat, just like you do with canned fish. I call it a success. I might try all day in a slow cooker next time, if I'm able to regulate the temperature well enough.

For a whole fish, I read years ago that making lots of cuts 1/4" or so apart (I suppose it depends on how big the fish is) in the flesh perpendicular to the backbone and as deep will soften up the bones.

I've never tried this, but it seems like the fish might have a tendency to crumble away after cooking.
confused2.gif

Last edited:
I used to fly fish the shad run up the river locally and always let them all go. Just fun on light tackle with home tied flies.
A fella near me once was keeping them on a stringer. I knew they were a oily boney fish.
We both left the same time and was parked near each other. I asked him what he going to do with them... eat em he said. But they are a oil boney fish, I mean loaded with bones. He says pressure cooker. Also will throw a few in the smoker but that way ya still have to put up with the bones, but pressure cooker takes care of most bone. I dunnoo... still I wasn't going to keep and try any.

Buy smelt instead, flour them and fry whole. If they're no bigger than a hotdog, they'll go down whole, head and all easily. Bonus points with egg bearing female smelts. Omega 3 and calcium packed.

I'm assuming rockfish is striper? The bones are large and few, I wouldn't really consider that a problem really. Try eating whole shad, it should come with that package warning "Choking hazard".

Originally Posted By: cutter
Buy smelt instead, flour them and fry whole.
I'm assuming rockfish is striper?

Rockfish are striper are two different fish.
Smelt... we used just net them years ago when I was stationed at McCord AFB. Can't remember which river. We used them as bait in the Puget Sound plus gave a bunch to some gals who would eat them. We considered them bait & brownie points. Amazing how fast we could fill 5-gallon buckets when the run was on.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I like to fish, and I like to eat fish. However, sometimes I get frustrated with the bones, particularly in bony fish, or small fish like sanddabs. I looked online for a way to soften the bones, and the one I found that I liked suggested cooking the fish on low heat, about 200*, for about 3 hours. I got a couple of rockfish out of the freezer and thawed them. After washing and scaling, I put them in a rectangular cake pan, and cut about 1/2 an onion and spread it out on top of the fish. I also cut up a red bell pepper and a couple of red potatoes and put them in as well. I set the oven at 225*, since I wanted the temp to be beyond the boiling point of water.

Three hours later, the potatoes were very done, and the fish bones were beginning to soften. However, the bones weren't soft enough to eat. After another hour, the bones were still a little firmer than I would like, so I put it back and went outside to weld stuff. I think the grand total was about 5 hours to make the bones really edible, but these are rockfish, which have some pretty sturdy bones. If you wanted to, you could eat the spine. I didn't want to, I just didn't want to have to continually fish needle-like bones out of my mouth. I was able to chew up and swallow the bones with the meat, just like you do with canned fish. I call it a success. I might try all day in a slow cooker next time, if I'm able to regulate the temperature well enough.

Depending on the size and species some fish are not suited to eat the bones. Usually the younger juvenile fish are ideal, softer bones. Vinegar may help soften the bones but actually grilling it on coals and then boiling with vinegar may do the trick. That would require to fillet the meat first and seperate the bones itself.

http://www.hawaiimarinelife.com/hawaiim1/ee/index.php/site/C15/ are grilled on coals and because the bones are soft the coal heat makes them brittle they're eaten off the grill and dipped with Soy sauce, vinegar and hot peppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back