Purolator Synthetic vs Pureone Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that the purolator synthetic filter says it's suitable for a 10k oci because of it's 27g capacity. so would that mean the pureone that only holds 13 grams of contaminants is only good for a 5k oci?

Just curious I picked up a purolator synthetic filter at meijer tonite for $5

OCI ability of a filter will vary with engine cleanliness. A pure one will certainly do 10k in a healthy engine.

there is almost always enough capacity for error in most manufacture recommendations

27gms is almost 1oz worth.

That's a lot of dirt ingested and gets circulated inside the engine you know.

I'd be truly concerned about the cylinder bore wear and scouring if that happens (like 27gms of "insoluables" in my oil over 10k oci period).

To me these values are totally meaningless except: (a) you have an extremely dirty engine (sludged, with hard carbon, etc.) or (b) you operate in desert w a somewhat broken air filter media, or (c) a combination of both.

Q.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
OCI ability of a filter will vary with engine cleanliness. A pure one will certainly do 10k in a healthy engine.

there is almost always enough capacity for error in most manufacture recommendations

luckily for me I pulled my valve cover a few days ago (can see in my previous post) and to my suprise engine looked brand spanking new! i'll take this oci to 7.5k with a P1 and PP 5W30

sounds like a good plan
thumbsup2.gif

Capacity relates to contamination input. You could have a filter with 5 grams of capacity but if your engine only generated 3 grams in the FCI, you are still golden. If you have a good, tight, efficient air filtration system and a modern engine that doesn't shed much metal, contamination inputs are low and almost any filter can go 10K in terms of capacity. I just finished a 15K run on a P1, for example.

A statistic I got from a filter engineer was that the average filter in the average car at the average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed. Doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but i you have your inputs under control (mainly a good air filter) then you should fit at or below that average.

Also, when looking at capacities, pay attention to part numbers. The spec you see may not apply to all part numbers. If the example is a large fitler, say the common FL1A equivalent for a big Ford engine, it's going to have a great capacity than than the little filter for a Honda. A "coffehaulic" mug vs a formal teacup. IN the case of the Puro examples, I believe they are both the same application, so the 27 to 13 gram comparison is accurate.

An advantage to a higher capacity fitler is the avoidance of bypass as you near the end of the FCI. If your engine typically generated enough to load the OE capacity filter to 60 percent, on a cold start that amount restriction could cause the filter to go into bypass more easily/often. With more capacity (either from more filter media or a better media), with the same amount of contaminant loading, differential pressure is lower and the filter is less likely to bypass.

By my calculation 27g of solids in 5qt of oil would be ~8,000ppm, ignoring density differences.
So a (average) 99% efficient filter would leave ~80ppm of total solids in the oil.
Do decent UOA's have this much bad solids, like iron and silicon?

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
By my calculation 27g of solids in 5qt of oil would be ~8,000ppm, ignoring density differences.
So a (average) 99% efficient filter would leave ~80ppm of total solids in the oil.
Do decent UOA's have this much bad solids, like iron and silicon?

If you are using the "(average) 99%" like it was a PureOne filter, recall that it's 99% @ 20 microns ... so there would be less than 99% captured for particles less than 20 microns. That would theoretically make the total solids in the oil something more than ~80 ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back