Loose lay vinyl flooring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever use it? I'm doing a mini remodel of our master bath and its time for flooring.

The new trend in vinyl is loose lay, meaning the weight of the vinyl and baseboard molding is what keeps it in place.

The LL vinyl is considerably thicker and heavier than either perimeter glue or full spread vinyl.

If using sheet vinyl, get the thickest stuff you can find in the color/pattern you want. I installed both sheet vinyl and interlocking vinyl planks this summer. With sheet, the key is to special order material that is much thicker and less flexible than the cheaper stuff that is typically carried in stock.

I have it in my new bathroom in the basement. I think its fiberglass infused. Lays dead flat. Awesome and easy.

I like to hear that its working well. I've installed a few vinyl floors but they were full spread. I thought the guy at the flooring store was kidding when he said you don't use any glue with this new vinyl.

We have it in an entry area that we wanted waterproof and easiest to clean without the potential for stains, as its the only interior place that we have shoes on. Works great.

For a bathroom I'd do real tile.

If the existing floor isnt perfectly flat, how does the vinyl feel? Do you hear/feel it slap the subfloor when you walk on it?

You'll want a flat subfloor if you're going that route. Tear out any old stuff and use leveling compound on the subfloor. Preparation is key.

In a bathroom or kitchen, it seems that if there was a water accident (toilet overflow, spill, etc.), that water might migrate under the baseboard and and flooring where it would sit and cause mold,etc..

Unless you live a charmed life, accidents sometimes happen (especially with kids). I suppose you could pull the floor up and dry things out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back