ebc redstuff vs pfc carbon metallic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never used ebc. I have used pfc and they work great, but needs some heat. The pfc did not brake well when cold in the winter. When hot they really stop well.

Originally Posted By: wantboost
What are thoughts between these two for bite and cold braking.

Wildly platform specific. Need more info.

generalizing, these types of formulas are bad when cold and wonderful at temp. Add in wet and you may be surprised on the street!

Make sure and evaluate the Stoptech proprietary formula. I have found these to be GREAT on my car, but they may not work well for you.

And I would chuck the EBC's, they are 'squealy"...

I have a set of GreenStuff 7000 series pads on my Tacoma and have had them for over 3 years, almost zero dust, awesome braking and pedal feel - cold or hot, wearing very well. When I lived in England I used EBC BlackStuff (OEM type) material on a Rover 825 Sterling car. Almost identical to the Acura platform of the time, they worked well but wore down faster than the GreenStuff pads on my truck. You will pay a slight premium but look around for a bargain, my personal feeling is you can't go wrong.

Brake pad specifications exist. Without them, we are only guessing and relying on others results.

I'm a huge fan of Carbotech pads.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

What do you think (or have heard) about their rotors??

They are one of the very few rotor lines NOT made in Sinoland/India/Brazil/etc. anymore.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm a huge fan of Carbotech pads.

I have also heard very good things about these (at least for MY platform), especially the compounds specced for autocrossing, open tracking/lapping days/etc.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

What do you think (or have heard) about their rotors??

They are one of the very few rotor lines NOT made in Sinoland/India/Brazil/etc. anymore.

I have been buying mine from R1 Concepts as the owner there is a supporter of 300CForums.com where I am a moderator. My last set was some of the most beautiful workmanship I have ever seen! But I have no idea where his source is.

As for EBC, the SRT8 community has soundly rejected their yellow and red formulas as too squealy, generally noisy as [censored]! But their rotors have always looked liked great pieces, just a bit expensive IMO.

I've heard lots of good about Carbotech as well (and entertainingly, they make full race pads for everything down to my Jeep
crazy.gif
). I'm currently running Hawks and happy with them. I've got the HP Superduty (very similar to the HP+ from what I can find) up front and the HPS in back. My fronts are dusty (not too bad in normal driving, but if I beat on them, I can turn the wheels graphite in a day). They're quiet and stop well (especially when warm), but they beat up rotors pretty badly.

Last edited:
Like SteveSRT8, I find that the StopTech Street Performance pads are exceptionally good performers, and I have run them on a number of cars on the track as well (HPDE, not for W2W) with excellent results. They have very good cold bite, they bed easily and quickly, they are not a weak link in terms of fade, and they're very inexpensive!
Pair them with high quality slotted (NEVER DRILLED!) rotors and it's without a doubt the best year round, high performance, high reliability setup I've used.

On the other hand, I have gone through a few BBK's on my 328, E46 M3, and my 03 M5 has a kit from the PO (he sold it from the shop when they were being installed, so while the 8/6-Piston 380mm/365mm APR BBK would not have been my choice, they do look wicked with the thankfully silver calipers behind the 19x9.5f and 19x11r Kinesis wheels).
StopTech, Brembo GT, Brembo Trophy, UUC/Wilwood, and UUC/APR have been on and off, but after getting Performance Friction 4whl kits for both the 328Ci (it has M3 axles/hubs) and the M3, both 6/4 380/365 kits w their 2pc floating vented slotted rotors, I have yet to use better brakes.
Changing pads is actually something I don't dread anymore, and I am currently experimenting with a variety of their pads to find the best for each Street, autocross/short road course, long road course, and endurance racin.

I wwill report back my findings!

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Like SteveSRT8, I find that the StopTech Street Performance pads are exceptionally good performers, and I have run them on a number of cars on the track as well (HPDE, not for W2W) with excellent results. They have very good cold bite, they bed easily and quickly, they are not a weak link in terms of fade, and they're very inexpensive!
Pair them with high quality slotted (NEVER DRILLED!) rotors and it's without a doubt the best year round, high performance, high reliability setup I've used.

On the other hand, I have gone through a few BBK's on my 328, E46 M3, and my 03 M5 has a kit from the PO (he sold it from the shop when they were being installed, so while the 8/6-Piston 380mm/365mm APR BBK would not have been my choice, they do look wicked with the thankfully silver calipers behind the 19x9.5f and 19x11r Kinesis wheels).
StopTech, Brembo GT, Brembo Trophy, UUC/Wilwood, and UUC/APR have been on and off, but after getting Performance Friction 4whl kits for both the 328Ci (it has M3 axles/hubs) and the M3, both 6/4 380/365 kits w their 2pc floating vented slotted rotors, I have yet to use better brakes.
Changing pads is actually something I don't dread anymore, and I am currently experimenting with a variety of their pads to find the best for each Street, autocross/short road course, long road course, and endurance racin.

I wwill report back my findings!

And note the pity felt for those with sliding calipers who cannot change pads by just removing a wheel and pulling a clip or two!!!

Cold bite? NOot very good. The Redstuffs aren't a great pad to start with. They will bite once really hot, but don't expect them to last, or give good fade charictoristics or feedback. They're amrketed to the ricer crowd. Note, almost nobody runs them as an actual track pad.

PFC makes a great pad. The Carbon Metallic is a base-line street pad available at most any parts store. I'd pick the Z-Rated though if I were looking for a performance pad, but if you just want a good street pad with great cold bite, the Carbon Metallic will do that for you.

Is there a reason that these are your only options? What vehicle, and what purpose??

Last edited:

Wildly platform specific. Need more info.

generalizing, these types of formulas are bad when cold and wonderful at temp. Add in wet and you may be surprised on the street!

Make sure and evaluate the Stoptech proprietary formula. I have found these to be GREAT on my car, but they may not work well for you.

been using ebc redstuff on a STS and a corvette no squealing at all. I dunno how u forum is rejecting them ....

I don't like EBC, used them once and they were downright dangerous.

Proper brakes come from Wilwood, AP and Tarox.

For a road car I haven't found a better combination than Brembo discs and Pagid 2244 pads.

I'm sure EBC have updated their product line since I last used them (it's been at least 6 years), but I hated the last set of EBC pads I purchased. I've never gone back.

I had better luck with Hawk HPS and Carbotech 1521 on the street and autox.

Even that comes with caveat. I tried a set of Hawk Ceramics on another car: hate, Hate, HATE. Noisy, dusty, and very hard on rotors. I honestly wonder if somebody stuck a set of HP+ in a Ceramic box, they were that bad.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I don't like EBC, used them once and they were downright dangerous.

Proper brakes come from Wilwood, AP and Tarox.

For a road car I haven't found a better combination than Brembo discs and Pagid 2244 pads.

Again, (and sadly) Pagid (or Ferodo for that matter) makes VERY little for U.S. domestic nameplated cars, and the ONLY way to use any Wilwood, or AP products on them is a COMPLETE big, multi-piston, brake kit upgrade (which I might just do in the future with a Wilwood kit, but their replacement rotors are BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$!).
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back