Breakin Oil Change for Kia 2.4L Hyundai Theta Eng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I recently purchased a Kia Forte Koup SX. It has the 2.4L engine. I believe it is a Theta/Theta-II Engine; correct me if wrong here.

The car has ~500 miles on it now. The OM recommends 7500 mile OCI for my driving conditions. But given the factory fill UOAs I've seen over the years in various forums, I won't run the Kia ff that far.

I will be using a synthetic in the factory recommended 5w-20 weight + OEM filter.

What does the BITOG hive mind recommend for a first OCI for the 2.4L Theta/Theta-II Engine?

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Eddie
~3,500 for the first and second change and then 7,500 on. The Theta11 engine is a great engine. Ed

Thanks for a quick reply Ed! You pique my curiosity on the ThetaII engine. what makes it a great engine? Any links or hero cards on the Theta?

fwiw, in Canada the required OCI is 3,750 miles. I run a 2013 Sonata 2.4L. I use PYB with Hyundai filter during warmer months and synthetic in the winter where I have seen -35F.
The conventional change is about $24 and synthetic $34.
Works for me.

Theta II - cool video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64yLyc8HSEQ

Great warranty, high power output, refined, great on fuel, tested at 300 hours WOT and iirc 75 hours past redline during durability certificatioon, what's not to like?

Last edited:
You need to stick with the factory change intervals/requirements since it's under warranty. You can certainly change it more frequently if you like, but I would not be extending the interval or deviating from their recommended viscosity.

Originally Posted By: dparm
You need to stick with the factory change intervals/requirements since it's under warranty. You can certainly change it more frequently if you like, but I would not be extending the interval or deviating from their recommended viscosity.

He can do whatever length interval he wants.. They can not deny warranty because that, UNLESS the extended OCI is the cause of he failure..

Originally Posted By: Flareside302

He can do whatever length interval he wants.. They can not deny warranty because that, UNLESS the extended OCI is the cause of he failure..

Do you really want to get into that sort of argument with Kia? Why even take that risk? Oil changes are cheap -- arbitration and lawsuits are not.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302

Do you really want to get into that sort of argument with Kia? Why even take that risk? Oil changes are cheap -- arbitration and lawsuits are not.

Before you get into any argument dparm, I've already initially stated: "The OM recommends 7500 mile OCI for my driving conditions" AND "I will be using a synthetic in the factory recommended 5w-20 weight + OEM filter." So the alert reader can discern I was not considering extended OCIs or non-recommended weights, and no admonishment regarding the Kia warranty was even necessary!

Hyundai/Kia has also found some problems with certain aftermarket oil filters that have caused engine damage. I haven't found the exact problem, but they have taken the unusual step of issuing a TSB about engine damage due to filters. Stick with the OEM filters.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Hyundai/Kia has also found some problems with certain aftermarket oil filters that have caused engine damage. I haven't found the exact problem, but they have taken the unusual step of issuing a TSB about engine damage due to filters. Stick with the OEM filters.

Thanks, but - in my original post - I stated: "I will be using a synthetic in the factory recommended 5w-20 weight + OEM filter."

What I really need is a recommendation for a first OCI for the 2.4L Theta/Theta-II Engine.

Leave the FF in for the 1st 7500. No big deal. Every 7500 with synthetic after that should be a walk in the park. Kia make some nice cars now, I had a 2010 Forte for a while.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

I've heard of engine ticking/noise upon start up per TSB using some aftermarket filters.
This has actually caused engine damage?
Agree using the OEM filter. It's a quality filter and not out of budget.
My 2.4L had a ProSelect filter (no start up noise) when I bought the vehicle. I changed to OEM and will continue to use them. Down to 1, so need to go to dealer and buy up a batch of them.

I did first oil change on my '13 Sonata GLS with 2.4L engine at 3000 miles. Have already done 3 oil changes myself on the car at 3750 mile intervals to comply with severe schedule...'bout ready to do 4th change soon. Car has 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra in it now with a Wix 51334 oil filter. Got a small stash of the Ultra on the cheap for $2/quart when my Autozone cleared it out a few months ago...used $10 Pennzoil rebates too, so I like got it free. Got stash of the Wix filters when O'Reilly Auto parts was doing the Lots of Loot promotion with all the $5 discount coupons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back