07 Ford Fusion front axle bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done one of these yourself ? I know the complete assembly has to be removed and the bearing pressed into the hub . I'm willing to go as far as removing it and taking it to a place that knows how to R&R the bearing . From what I understand if you don't get it right when pressing it you can snap the bearing .

Looks like a fair bit of labor and the shop manual lists several special tools for popping the ball joints , tie rod ....etc . My one worry is the axle spline may be seized but it was only done about 55K ago so it may be alright and there is a puller for that as well . Shows a Focus being done on youtube which is somewhat the same .

Job done at my local Ford dealer is about $400 , cost of the bearing about $60 for a non Chinese one .

Anyone ??

Edit , just talked to a local garage , says he can do it for $130 if I supply the bearing .

Last edited:
Woah ... just looked up the procedure. I'm ... not looking forward to the day I have to replace a front wheel bearing on my Focus.

You should be able to use a pickle fork to separate the steering and lower control arm.

Honestly , I think I'm going to let the garage do this right now . Had a scope done on my knee about 4 weeks ago and I just don't think I'm up to it yet .

Yeah , it's a bit of a job and I know I don't have the large socket needed for the axle nut so I would have to buy that as well .

Take it to the garage for 130. Will be easier than messing it up and then having to take it to garage. Probably less expensive and less stress in the long run

Make sure that they torque the bearing correctly- I show 189lbs in my reference guide.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Make sure that they torque the bearing correctly- I show 189lbs in my reference guide.

Will do .

Goes in Monday morning for the work . I hunted up a SKF (Korea) bearing for it , no Chinese bearings for me !

Well all done and it's like driving a different car . Funny how a noise can make a car that really is pretty good seem like a piece of k-rap .
Took the mechanic about 1 hour 45 min and I could tell he had done this before .

Anyway....I'm happy and so is the wife since it's her car !
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back