1993 Chevrolet Blazer running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe i will see this soon? And then I will turn distributor.

Now that I found what to get out of the way.. Might have it in two hours.

Maybe i will see this soon? And then I will turn distributor.

Now that I found what to get out of the way.. Might have it in two hours.

CaptureBlazer_zpsb365b13b.png

Will you stop posting already?

Just go try this out!

You've spent hours posting, and minutes looking under the hood of your truck. The answer is there, in your driveway, not here, asking the same question over and over....

Typing stuff on the internet should not be confused with accomplishment, or even activity.

Imagine if you learned to ride a bike this way - 10,000 questions on how the pedals move and how do you balance...and what to do to steer, and how will you know you're falling, and then taking pictures of the pedals and asking exactly how your feet are supposed to push those pedals...just go get on the bike and try it out!

Become someone who does things, stop being someone who worries, writes, obsesses, takes pictures, posts and in the process, does nothing...

Last edited:
In the time you spent posting you tube videos or going on about a Sunfire, you could of had this timed.

Has anyone warned him that the strobe light effect of the timing light will make things appear to be standing still?

Don't stick any body parts in the fan, belts, pulleys, etc. while the engine is running. That goes for the end of the timing light also.

Sometimes it helps to rub white paint into the timing marks (only) so they show up better.

Best of luck.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Sometimes it helps to rub white paint into the timing marks (only) so they show up better.

I don't know if its been mentioned, and maybe its not applicable to the 4.3 engine, but sometimes there is more than one groove on the harmonic balancer. The widest groove should be TDC for the #1 cylinder. That's the one that needs some white paint in it. Bump the engine over a little at a time with the starter until the wide groove comes up where you can reach it and dab some white paint in there. I'm sure White Out or Liquid Paper would work fine.

Go back a dozen pages or so and find what your timing is supposed to be. The smaller V6s (ie, 2.8) are 10 degrees before TDC (10 degrees before the zero mark). If I remember right, someone posted on here that the 4.3 is supposed to be timed to zero degrees. That's with the EST connector under the dash unplugged. Put a dab of white paint at the zero mark on the timing tab. Then, with the timing light connected to the battery and the sensor clipped to the #1 plug wire, start the engine and you'll see it flashing. Aim the timing light down towards the timing tab. Your spots of white paint will show up like neon. The goal is to rotate the distributor until the mark on the harmonic balancer (which due to the effect of the strobe light now appears to be stationary) aligns exactly with the mark on the timing tab. Tighten the bolt at the bottom of the distributor. Check the timing once more to be sure you didn't bump it, and you're done.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I don't know if its been mentioned, and maybe its not applicable to the 4.3 engine, but sometimes there is more than one groove on the harmonic balancer. The widest groove should be TDC for the #1 cylinder. That's the one that needs some white paint in it. Bump the engine over a little at a time with the starter until the wide groove comes up where you can reach it and dab some white paint in there. I'm sure White Out or Liquid Paper would work fine.

Go back a dozen pages or so and find what your timing is supposed to be. The smaller V6s (ie, 2.8) are 10 degrees before TDC (10 degrees before the zero mark). If I remember right, someone posted on here that the 4.3 is supposed to be timed to zero degrees. That's with the EST connector under the dash unplugged. Put a dab of white paint at the zero mark on the timing tab. Then, with the timing light connected to the battery and the sensor clipped to the #1 plug wire, start the engine and you'll see it flashing. Aim the timing light down towards the timing tab. Your spots of white paint will show up like neon. The goal is to rotate the distributor until the mark on the harmonic balancer (which due to the effect of the strobe light now appears to be stationary) aligns exactly with the mark on the timing tab. Tighten the bolt at the bottom of the distributor. Check the timing once more to be sure you didn't bump it, and you're done.

TIMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I got it to within about 1 degree. The timing light was cheap, fubar, and not flashing very well off of Cyl. #1.

I did it in the dark, saw a mark, basically had to turn distributor all the way one way... Very carefully tightened nut down a lot, and did so on a HOT engine. Slight surge at idle is basically gone now (maybe a teeny bit due to continued vacuum leak, small, and I know where it comes from) but OMG THE ENGINE IS TIMED AND I FEEL ABOUT 90% OF THE POWER BACK.

I spun the tires coming off a light with it.
laugh.gif

And the SES still comes on and goes off, just not as much........ Not in "Field Service" mode with ALDL...

And no pics: 1. No camera/phone. 2. I needed to concentrate. 3. That timing light was better than the first, useless one, but still cheap and intermittent. Had to really fight with it, and even then it didnt flash too well. It is amazing I got it done with such a cheap light.

Videos will come "soon" but WOW what a difference. (Blockbuster Video! Wow. <-- Remember that commercial?)

Oh, and latest from Mr. Sunfire:

Quote:
the fender has a dent from where a deer ran into the car. it does have the hub caps on it now too. clear coat is really bad as you can see. i was going to paint the car but really need something bigger. like i said before. new tires, brake line, battery and alternator all in the last couple months. i can throw in some 17'' wheels and tires. i included a pic of the rims. if needed i could replace the fender if you wanted.

0811131746b_zpsd91219df.jpg

0811131746d_zps73cd7bdf.jpg

0825131543_zpsfb414b7e.jpg

downsize_zpsc21808ae.jpg

downsize_2_zps51e2a113.jpg

downsize_3_zpsdafd0211.jpg

Think I can maybe pass inspection now?

I will read the codes tomorrow A.M. Key in ignition, to ignition to read them. OBD1 style.

Getting the ignition timing set should make a huge difference. Go to inspection and you'll either pass or you'll get your current emissions numbers.

Good deal!

Now budget for a new starter. Maybe a new O2 sensor too. Heck, the one that's on there is 20 years old; if it was my vehicle I'd pop for a new one anyway, regardless.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
I'll post a video of it idling in the dark. You can probably tell the difference.
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I'll post a video of it idling in the dark. You can probably tell the difference.
smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

And i feel dumb.. It doesn't want to diesel or run-on when I turn it off anymore. I got sidetracked so I did not get that in my 4-minute video, for my BITOG crew.

Like i said, i think I got the timing to like within degree. Pretty good for a bad timing light! (Would NOT stay strobing.)

Last edited:
.. is a LOT better than this!

972236_534329116633639_989457452_n.jpg

^^ Not what I was looking for, but, still. Just for comparison.

Last edited:
Sometime after 10PM, this link will work.

Now, to get the fuel pressure tested, since a compression test seems to be ruled out based on ho wit runs. Will have to video that.. 02 sensor still suspect!

Actually, let me go blink those codes now...

Like i said, i think I got the timing to like within degree. Pretty good for a bad timing light! (Would NOT stay strobing.)

Get yourself some new spark plug wires.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back