5 Quarts = Overfill for 4.5 Quart Capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always added 5 quarts of oil to my 2007 Ford Focus, but recently learned that the engine specs actually call for a capacity of 4.5 quarts.

Is 5 quarts considered an overfill scenario? Should I drain the excess oil?

Well logic dictates that 5 quarts is larger than 4.5 quarts, so yeah, you are overfilling. But not by much and so you should be fine, just stick with 4.5 quarts from now on.

I'm that guy with a 4.5 liter sump that just pours the whole jug in because I don't want to deal with it. It's about 1/4" up on the dipstick. I've lived a happy life and 80,000 miles this way... on this car... but I've done the same thing for years with my previous cars. When you don't have a place to store a 1/4 full quart of oil... and you're debating just taking it to the recycler... this is what you start doing: round up.

FWIW my Outback specs 4.2 quarts for an oil change and 4.5 quarts for an oil and filter change. For the 70,000 miles I have owned it, I've poured in a 5 quart jug. Comes to right at or just over the F line, no evidence of oil foaming and it is much easier to deal with.

The Outback has always used about half a quart over a 5-7k OCI, so this way it never gets lower than specs.

I don't know what kind of PCV valve or system your Focus has, but I would check it, and base your decisions on that.

I for one like that 1/2 quart savings on my frequent in-warranty driver. It just added up to a "free" oil change on my out-of-warranty infrequent driver. As someone stated in another thread, if it takes a long time to save up enough for an oil change, use it up on each oil change and use less of the new jug each time.

Ford states in most every owner's manual that 'overfill will damage the engine and the excess oil must be removed immediately. Engine failure due to overfilling will result in voided warranty'

they put that line in the owners manual to cover their rear ends just in the more than extremely rare case something occurrs because of an overfill.

Nothing to worry about.
You could look for a larger filter....

My '94 Thunderbird SuperCoupe owner's manual said the same thing, but also stated that after an oil change, the level could be as much as "this" (insert artwork of dipstick) overfull. Looked like about 1/4" to me.

I personally would rather run an engine 1/2 qt low than 1/2 qt over. At least you're in the area of the dipstick between add and full that is allowable by the mfg that way. I think they might frown on any warranty claims if the engine was found to be 1/2 qt over as opposed to 1/2 qt low.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
I have always added 5 quarts of oil to my 2007 Ford Focus, but recently learned that the engine specs actually call for a capacity of 4.5 quarts.

Is 5 quarts considered an overfill scenario? Should I drain the excess oil?

When you put 5 quarts, does the dipstick read over the full mark?

Are you using a filter that is longer than the OEM one?

0.5 quarts over on a 4.5 quart engine is not that bad.

It read about a quart of an inch over the max line, on the A of Max.

At present, I have a Motorcraft 400, which is slightly longer than the OEM 910.

I have checked the oil when hot after having turned corners, and cannot find evidence on the dipstick of oil aeration/frothing.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
It read about a quart of an inch over the max line, on the A of Max.

At present, I have a Motorcraft 400, which is slightly longer than the OEM 910.

I have checked the oil when hot after having turned corners, and cannot find evidence on the dipstick of oil aeration/frothing.

I am assuming that you are putting a Motorcraft FL-400S in place of a Motorcraft FL-910S?

If yes, why would you put the wrong filter on your car? The FL-400S media is only 0.75" longer.

Is this something Ford says is OK?

5 quarts comes right to the full line on my Buick. Owners manual says 4.5
quarts and then check the level. Well, it needs 5 quarts to get to the full line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back