What's the consensus Pennzoil synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm eyeballing this as my next oil to try out, but I can't really find any UOAs/VOAs to determine whether or not I wanna use it. Anyone have any rock solid info on this oil? Thanks.

What's it going into? I'd not recommend it for longer than 5k miles in any turbocharged or direct-injected car. That's based on it being a dexos1 oil in 5w-30 flavor, and the very similar AC Delco dexos1 5w-30 getting ripped to shreds in turbo/DI cars by 5k miles.

Last edited:
I went to sopus website called viscocity dot com and in there they stated the Pennzoil blend was 50% synthetic. Lots of cool little videos there so it's pretty interesting. For an advertising venue it's neat. Check it out!

With the frequent sales at wm you can acquire synthetic for less than regular priced conventional so for that reason I stock up at sale time.
I buy conventionals for my OPE and bikes but I like the idea of longer drain capable lubricants so I don't even look at the blends.
If you time it right you can get an actual syn for less and run it longer.
That being said I did get 5 or 6 jugs of defy last year on sale. Its a blend and I'm sure its similar to the pennzoil labeled stuff and I really liked it.
My ram had a knock coming from the bottom end that was diesel like in nature while using m1 0w-20 AFE and the noise was completely eliminated with defy.
Today's oils are all good but the blends are a kind of pink elephant.
There's no hard and fast rules using it as far as change intervals and such.
I run any quality syn for 10000 miles in my vehicles. I run mineral oil for roughly 5000. So I guess a blend lands somewhere in between right?

Dont have anything rock solid on it, but I ran it two oil changes ago in the Uplander and it was smooth and quiet. Also is is at least 50% syn. Its a great oil (and Dexos1 approved) but for a couple $$ more I would go with QSUD (as it is full syn), thats the oil on deck for the Uplander.

Last edited:
for around the same price or less the super tech syn is also a great oil..

I heard the pennzoil syn blend is a little thinner than the yellow bottle but i dont know if that is true at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
for around the same price or less the super tech syn is also a great oil..

I don't see very many people on here talking about it though. I ran a search and
there's very little discussion about it. Everybody talks about Mobil 1 and PP.

It's harder to find than others. Sometimes it's sold in bottles called Pennzoil Gold.

I've used it once and liked it a lot. If I didn't have Max Life I'd use it in my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I went to sopus website called viscocity dot com and in there they stated the Pennzoil blend was 50% synthetic. Lots of cool little videos there so it's pretty interesting. For an advertising venue it's neat. Check it out!

Cool! thanks for sharing that.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
Anyone have any rock solid info on this oil?

The rock solid info is that it's an SN/GF-5 oil with dexos1 certification in the appropriate grades. Depending where you are, it may be hard to obtain or the pricing may be off. But, if you can get it at a decent price with decent availability, go for it. At our RCWC (a wholesale place), it's pretty hard to beat. Every else, it's just about impossible to find.

Lots of good comments above and there are lots of variables to consider.

In my case I use it in a 2012 LS Equinox. Since GM wants a Dexos I oil, it's a fair value for my needs and this meets the GM requirements I've been using it now for some time. Should add I've done 4 UOAs on this and am very pleased.

I let my OLM get to about 30% before changing and this is with the newer OLM calibration.

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Lots of good comments above and there are lots of variables to consider.

In my case I use it in a 2012 LS Equinox. Since GM wants a Dexos I oil, it's a fair value for my needs and this meets the GM requirements I've been using it now for some time. Should add I've done 4 UOAs on this and am very pleased.

I let my OLM get to about 30% before changing and this is with the newer OLM calibration.

Can you or have you posted one of the UOA's? I'd be interested to see the add pack for sure.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
It's harder to find than others. Sometimes it's sold in bottles called Pennzoil Gold.

I've used it once and liked it a lot. If I didn't have Max Life I'd use it in my vehicles.

Gold is not Dexos approved. Check the bottle, no Dexos symbol. I will also use PSB in my next oci. GDI, Turbo and all at 5k mile intervals. unless someone shows me that the A/C Delco Blend is 50% syn, i will not compare them.

35-40 miles a day (work) - 1/2 HWY

Originally Posted By: wemay
Gold is not Dexos approved. Check the bottle, no Dexos symbol.

There is on the bottles up here, although it's probably formally called the Pennzoil Dexos1 Synthetic Blend, and it's on the dexos1 list globally. I challenge, you, however, to find non-dexos1 Gold 5w-30 side by side with a Pennzoil Dexos1 Synthetic Blend and compare the UPCs. Quaker State still maintains that QSED isn't the same thing as Defy, yet Defy has the exact same bar codes as did QSED.

SOPUS can play all the name games they want and keep all the ancient, obsolete data sheets they like on their site. Their product line is bloated enough as it is without them pretending that discontinued products are still a separate, current line. The dexos1 blend doesn't even appear on Shell's list of data sheets for the U.S., but it clearly exists.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Down here the Gold has no Dexos approval on the bottle and the PSB does. ehhh, who knows. We all choose who and what we trust...

I know, I've all seen that, but that's meaningless. Like I said, unless someone shows me physically that Gold 5w-30 and PSB 5w-30 dexos1 are separate products with different UPCs, I don't believe it.

It's interesting to note that the one place here that sells Pennzoil Gold 5w-30 now sells the dexos1 stuff in its place. The bottles look very similar to me, and the shelf tags didn't change. And this isn't an automotive place. So, which is more plausible? This retailer is a BITOGer and decided that it's essential they stock PSB dexos1 5w-30 right beside QSUD dexos1 5w-30, because he knows the dexos1 specification is important (even if GM drivers don't know that) and told SOPUS to quit bringing regular 5w-30 SN/GF-5 Pennzoil Gold and to bring the dexos1 blend instead.

Or, alternatively, he looked at his sell sheet and his stock and decided he was short on Pennzoil Gold 5w-30 and needed more and SOPUS sent the dexos1 blend 5w-30 because it superseded the non-dexos1 stuff.

Of course, the video says nothing about different grades. 10w-30 certainly cannot be dexos1 certified in any event. Do recall that I pointed out that SOPUS maintains QSED still exists. Perhaps, but only in a BITOGer's stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back