Purolator PureOne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody tell me why this filter is so highly regarded on bitog? i'm currently running one all I can see why is price and efficiency.

How does the P1 L14459 stack up against the Napa Platinum 41334 over a 7.5K drain interval.

i dont really like the pure one i see on my oil guages and listening to my engines at start up over the years that they are a little more restrictive no matter what they say. I do however like the classics. I am a firm believer that dirty oil lubricates better than no oil at all. We have always used mostly group 7 which is made by purolater with no problems. We are also using another one i cant remember the name i mentioned it once before. Mostly under $2.00 a filter

Purolator PureOne is mid-price filter and Napa Platinum is high-end filter.

For short to medium FCI there is no different between the two in term of efficiency, for long FCI of 15-20k or longer then Napa Platinum and other synthetic filters will be better.

I dont know why its so highly regarded here...torn filter media and restrictiveness are not qualities I would consider "highly regarded". Did I say that out loud? Sorry.

The PureOne is NOT restrictive - internet false folklore never dies it seems. You got data that says it is restrictive, or just some old wive's tale fabricated on the internet?

I have real measurement data - not rumors.
whistle.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

BTW - Jay from Fram (aka "Motorking" here on BITOG) showed that the full synthetic Fram Ultra basically has the same Flow vs. PSID curve as the PureOne in the thread above. And I'm willing to bet that there are many cellulose media filters out there that are more restrictive to flow than the PureOne is.

Quote:
Can anybody tell me why this filter is so highly regarded on bitog? i'm currently running one all I can see why is price and efficiency.

How does the P1 L14459 stack up against the Napa Platinum 41334 over a 7.5K drain interval.

What more do you want? 99.9%@20um that can be readily attained for Pure One PL14610 for 7800 miles oci.

And as has has been posted here many times the P1 is not restrictive, as shown here with scientific lab test data........Z06 above beat me to it.

I'd ignore the anecdotes and urban legends (posted above) regarding P1 flow/restriction as they are just that, unproven blather. Flow is an insignificant consideration in pc use. What's ironic though, is that some now repeating the unproven P1 flow comments would rather use and promote a rock catcher Honda A02 that's 66% @ 20um, very low to put it kindly.

The NP is a different type filter. It's synthetic, more of a 10k+ oci oil filter as opposed to P1 more of a 7.5-10k oci filter. The NP's everyday price is more expensive though too.

So, if cost/value for efficiency and construction aren't important to you, there are more expensive filters. But, for a 7.5k mile oci a P1 is a solid choice and value. .02

Well, well, well.... now that I've been educated a little further on the P1's, I'm wondering if it would be just as well to run them year round (have the PL24651's) on my Grand Marquis listed in the signature. (FYI, I live in the Manchester, NH area)

Thanks to the great P1 sales/rebates at AAP last year, I have six of them on hand. Currently, my strategy is to use the P1's in the summer and the tried and true MC FL-820S for the winter. I would rather use up the P1 supply I have rather than going out and buying a FL-820S every winter. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!

I never liked the PUREONE, I had a 1997 Buick Lesabre that my Granpa left me when he died and it only had 38,000 miles on it...

Well when I changed the OIL I put 5W30 Valvoline Dura Blend and a PUREONE Oil Filter and I noticed when the car was at IDLE the OIL PRESSURE GAUGE would be nearly in the RED...

I would hit the gas and it would go back up to the middle.

Well next time I changed the oil I used DURA LUBE 5W30 and a PF47 A/C Delco NON E CORE, and the OIL PRESSURE GAUGE stayed perfect in the middle at IDLE and even when I drove the car.

The next change I used Castol GTX 10W30 and a FRAM Extra Gaurd, ** There was a sale on it **

anways the OIL PRESSURE GAUGE Stayed right in the MIDDLE, perfect.

Then next oil change I used again Castol GTA 10W30 and I got a PureOne oil filter and a Pureolator Classic aka Plus, well I put the PURE ONE on and it did the same thing, it would move all over the place at IDLE it was nearly in the RED and I would hit the gas and it would go back up... So then after like 25 miles I put on the Purolator Classic and the oil pressure stayed perfect in the middle at IDLE or while i was driving.

Also this was back when the PUREONES Were BLUE.... So I know them filters are very RESTRICTIVE and the The 1997 Buick Lesabre only had 38K miles on it and had a V6 3800 Series II Engine.

Very Very Nice car.. MINT

When I say BLUE PUREONES this is the ones Im talking about

413F9Z5PzqL._SY300_.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Best bang for the buck...

Good reliable filter that can be bought at an inexpensive price...

Look at Blains Farm and Fleet...
They also have the blue Purolator Synthetic's, a step up from the gold PureOne's....
www.farmandfleet.com/m/products/792128-purolator-synthetic-oil-filter.html

Looks like they copied word for word from the FRAM ULTRA, even the style of filter with wire backing.

Again I have seem this PUREONE cause great restriction on oil Pressure so I hope your car has a oil pressure gauge.. b.c I tried this filter more then 1 time and each time at IDLE the OIL presure gauge b/c each time the needle part of the gauge was nearly in the RED.

so becareful and this was not a old wore out car, it only had 38K miles on it and it was a good ENGINE, V6 3800 Series II, anyone who knows Engines will tell you that probably is one of the best V6 Engines GM ever came out with ...

That is the same Engine they use with the line of cars with Supercharges...

This is the Engine V3 3800 Series II that they used with Supercharger

Regal_l67.jpg

Here was the Engine in my Buick Lesabre that Im talking about ABOVE with the PUREONE, However I must say it was the BLUE version of the PUREONE... Im not sure if they made improvments when they changed to the YELLOW with the sand grip.
Basically what Im saying is it was a very very good ENGINE that had lots of POWER

carsafety_430121_600.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1

Then next oil change I used again Castol GTA 10W30 and I got a PureOne oil filter and a Pureolator Classic aka Plus, well I put the PURE ONE on and it did the same thing, it would move all over the place at IDLE it was nearly in the RED and I would hit the gas and it would go back up... So then after like 25 miles I put on the Purolator Classic and the oil pressure stayed perfect in the middle at IDLE or while i was driving.

For one thing, that oil pressure gage is junk. What kind of oil pressure gage stays in the middle all the time regardless if the engine is idling or revved up? Just sayin'... dash oil pressure gauge was junky.
smile.gif

It's possible the blue PureOnes were more restrictive than the yellow ones, but I highly doubt Purolator is dumb enough to design an oil filter that would be so restrictive that it would cause the oil pump to go into max pressure bypass mode at engine idle. That's what would have to be happening for an oil pressure gauge to show low oil pressure at idle. Plus, if that was happening, the bypass valve in the filter would have to be open too - at idle. There's just no way any filter is that restrictive unless the media if majorly clogged.

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Best bang for the buck...

Good reliable filter that can be bought at an inexpensive price...

Look at Blains Farm and Fleet...
They also have the blue Purolator Synthetic's, a step up from the gold PureOne's....
www.farmandfleet.com/m/products/792128-purolator-synthetic-oil-filter.html

Looks like they copied word for word from the FRAM ULTRA, even the style of filter with wire backing.

Ummm, ALL full synthetic media oil filters have a wire backing. It's not unique to the Fram Ultra.

You used a different oil with a different filter each time.

Your results will be different each time, but why can't be determined, was it the oil or the filter?

I bet the weather changed too, got colder / hotter....

Even different batches of motor oil , same maker, same weight, can have slightly different properties...

Used various oversized filters, generally a name brand, and a name brand 5W-30, mostly bought on sale, with my last car.
0W-30 did not exist yet...
Got 370,000 before the manual transmission suffered metal fatigue....

Last edited:
Quote:
You used a different oil with a different filter each time.....

But why take a scientific approach, what difference do multiple variables make.

The reference pics copied from Amazon, Wikipedia and Edmunds must prove it was the filter and that P1 is restrictive right.
smiley-rolleyes010.gif

Quote:
But why take a scientific approach, what difference do multiple variables make.

Exactly! These people and their data, what's wrong with believing what I want to believe, because I believe it?

As for the PureOne, I don't really care about how well it filters, my wife likes the pretty color!

All kidding aside< I've been using the PureOne for a few years now and have had no problems. But, honestly, the main reason I switched is because with one of our cars, it's hard to use any filter wrench and the grippy surface of the entire Pureone surface makes removal very easy.

With the low annual miles our cars see, I am thinking of switching to Purolator's synthetic media filter and going to two year OCIs.

I'm not impressed with Purolator synthetic filters, of all the cut open synthetic media filters I have seen they look the cheapest and flimsy. I would prefer a Napa Platinum or Fram Ultra first. I think I would take the PureOne over the synthetic.

I think i should clarify that post a little. I still like the Purolator synthetic filters, i just think they are at the bottom of the synthetic filters in my ranking based off what i have seen of them. I has still seen some very good ones cut open, but lots more have had too much minor distortion with the media that i never seem to see with the Fram Ultra.

I still place the Purolator synthetic above many cellulose filters and would run it if i got it with a bundle sale at a parts store. I probably will never use one though because i end up buying my filters when i can find them and my oil at walmart in jugs. I have used plenty of the Blue PureOnes on my Taurus and never had problems.

To address the OP: PureOnes have a good reputation simply for price to performance. They do everything you can ask of a filter and the cost can be pretty reasonable depending on where you get it and if its on sale. Some of the things it has going for it include the silicone adbv, the great filtering media, and the robust construction. The yellow grip of the new cans is also highly prized in tight engine bays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back