Honda 2.4 starter issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned my 2006 Honda Accord 2.4 for almost 2 years now, and every now and then the starter seems to have a hiccup. Its only happened maybe 5 or 6 times but it happened again tonight. Basically when I turn the key I hear an electric buzzing type sound but nothing starts up. I let go and turn the key again and it fires right up. Its always started on the second try. The starter itself turns over fine it seems, but every now and then when I turn the key nothing happens. Ideas? what could cause this? and how much to repair? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Buzzing sound? Try the starter relay its cheap then maybe the starter after a few tests. Is there an aftermarket alarm?
No its not an alarm or bell in the car, its from the engine area. Sounds like the starter or something is getting power because as soon as you let off the key the buzz stops, but turn the key again and she fires right up. Just hope this does not get worse!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Buzzing sound? Try the starter relay its cheap then maybe the starter after a few tests. Is there an aftermarket alarm?
No its not an alarm or bell in the car, its from the engine area. Sounds like the starter or something is getting power because as soon as you let off the key the buzz stops, but turn the key again and she fires right up. Just hope this does not get worse!

I think he's referring to aftermarket alarms that disable the engine in some way, such as the starter or ignition.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Battery may be getting weak from the summer heat
Its been doing it on and off for two years now. And if it was the battery why would it crank right up the second time I turn they key? It turn over just fine.

If you still have/on the factory battery then please test and re-test it or replace it.

I had my fair share of frustration RE: my dad's 7th gen civic on factory battery: load tests indicated it was strong/good, but exhibits weird symptoms like this:

under certain weather: engines start perfectly during 1st try...shift to reverse (A/T), hold the brake while backing out from the parkway and when got to the road, the engine will stumble and died...move the shifter to N or P and then re-crank the engine and it will fire up and continues throughout the rest of the day without hiccups.

This problem persisted for 3wks and all tests on electrical systems incl. alternator tests, etc. resulted in nothing.

So, finally cut to the chase and replaced with a fresh kirkland battery and all has been fine since then.

Mind you: his factory battery was 6yrs old at that time.

Q.

First, confirm the battery terminals are clean.

I don't know if Honda still uses a Main Relay but your problem might be there (if the problem is not battery related).

If not a Main Relay, there might be a starter relay that is starting to go bad.

I meant does it have an after marker alarm could it be a bad starter kill relay?? or maybe the starter relay itself which is under the hood.. I assume the battery and connections are good

Bump - I am experiencing a similar issue with the gf's 2007 Accord. Slow/extended crank when cold. Battery tests fine. Fuel pressure ok. No voltage drop.

I bought a Denso reman starter. I will put it in and report back with the outcome.

Critic: do you have a way of measuring starter performance- like an amp clamp or preferably a lab scope? That would save the cost an time of a starter replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Critic: do you have a way of measuring starter performance- like an amp clamp or preferably a lab scope? That would save the cost an time of a starter replacement.

Unfortunately I do not. It is on my list of items to buy.

anything to measure cranking RPM? that should be easy with a scan tool.

If it is a Denso starter, then contacts on them do wear out and are easily and cheaply replaceable. However, those last at least close to 150K miles before giving problem if collective Toyota Camry experience is any good. This usually results in random non-cranking situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back