13 hp honda generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
storm heading our way in the gulf, i think ive asked this before but will T6 suffice in this lil air cooled Honda? only thing that worries me is that some people say a diesels add pack cant stand up to the hotter temps a gas engine runs at. should i use M1 15W50? I remember Cujet saying that was the only oil that stood up to the heat in his gen.

I would think a diesel oil would be pretty good for high temps. Diesel oils hold up fine to trucks pulling big hills with turbos that are glowing red hot.

Rotella T6 should be great. It's SM rated so it is also spec'd for gasoline engines.

T6 is a great choice for most gas generators. My Generac 5500 performed perfect last winter. Started on the first pull @ 4F.

With that said! Any Synthetic 5W-30 or 10W-30 will work great as well.

I just prefer the T6. Even though it's spec for 5W-30.

Many owners have posted yrs and yrs of service with 15W-40.
The most important thing is your OCI! I'm still working on this for my Generac.

IMHO->It all depends on the Use of the Generator-->How big a load is on the motor and for how long. & If it's during the hot summer or cold winter!

so long as you (a) keep the engine well ventilated (outside, no baffle of any kind); (b) check/monitor your oil level between fuel-ups, and (c) keep air filter and oil changed on a regular interval,

These engines will last you a long, long, long time.

Q.

we bought it for Katrina, 8 yrs old and never missed a lick. We have it set up to run natural gas from our house with a hose. I have two quarts of old Rotella 5W40( not T6) and some Delvac 15W40.

I use M1 10-30 in my Subaru powered gen. We lost power twice this summer in 100F temps and the M1 seemed to hold up fine. Also use it in all my OPE. If the engine maker calls for a 30wt oil, no reason to use heavier vis oil.

I've now got 14 air compressors and 8 generators. Used everyday. I use rotella conventional at 100 hour oil change intervals in the summer and the cheapest 5w-30 I can find for winter because of fuel dilution and a shorter interval

T6 will work perfectly and result in very long engine life. Now that I think about it, I suggested 15W-50 for very hard working, and, admittedly, lower quality, smaller engines. The Honda engine is a known excellent performer. I have one on an industrial pressure washer. It works very hard and never breaks a sweat. Of course, I do run 15W-50 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back