Let's flash my Sprint SPH-L710 (S3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's focus on the proper flashing of my phone. Trying to get it to Boost Mobile (or Ting, or maybe even back to VM idk but Boost I may get 4G or 4G LTE, idk, some Sprint carrier..)

I am trying to use this tool, re-reading instructions now.. Caboombi tool to make TAR.MD5 files from .IMG files

-- so that I can follow these instructions as to how to get CWM or ClockWorkMod on my phone, from here.. http://www.android.gs/install-clockworkmod-cwm-recovery-on-sprint-samsung-galaxy-s3/

One thing I see is that my "Bootloader" may not be unlocked. It also says "Qualcomm SecureBoot is Enabled" when I go into Download mode.

Also looking at this one, http://www.androidnectar.com/update-sams...jelly-bean-rom/ and I see:

Quote:

For successful completion of installing/flashing CyanogenMod ROM charge your Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint up to a minimum of 75% – 85% battery.
You must take a back-up of all your personnel items and other impotent data, such as Call Logs, SMS, Contacts, Audios, Images, Videos, APN (Access Point Names) settings, Bookmarks, MMS settings, on your Android device.
If you have not, then you must unlock your Android device’s Bootloader. View here to know more about Why to unlock Android Bootloader.
You must have rooted down your Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint before applying this tutorial. You can take help from here to know more about What does Android Rooting mean.
Please ensure that all your security suites, like firewall and antivirus, on your Android device as well as on computer must be disabled.
You must enable USB Debugging mode on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint. Just follow, Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging. There select the USB Debugging icon.
You must download and install all the required USB drivers for your Android device.
One must install a custom recovery image particularly for his Android device. To do this, you can download ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery and then install it over your Samsung Galaxy S3 Sprint. View here to know more about What is ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery.
You must have installed the latest Java SDK and Android SDK on your computer. However, note here that Android SDK should be installed only when you have successfully installed the Java SDK on your computer.

Presently reading #3.

Any other tips? I have Odin on here, some type of ROM files I may have downloaded wrong ones?, S3 drivers for the PC and this is my first time attempting this. Nothing so far.

Thanks!

That said, I will check out this one when I get home. This video is from QBKing77.

Any other tips, for the phone network switching?

By far, my biggest questions are:

1. The files for Odin, format, conversion, etc.
2. Why the phone just turns on when Odin tries to flash it, does nothing else, even from download mode.

Also, mine has an added "Qualcomm SecureBoot Enabled" aside from what normally displays here. (Also, I have a Sprint SPH-L710.)

sph-l710_zps76576f18.png

DID IT!
smile.gif

Now I need an SD card to get the rest on..

Q: When I DO get Superuser on, HOW DO I GET MY PHONE TO WORK ON BOOST MOBILE??

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You need to unlock the phone still dude......

According to it, I need an SD card to put the second file actually on the phone, then I get to Superuser, yes?

I need to go out and get a MicroSD card!

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

According to it, I need an SD card to put the second file actually on the phone, then I get to Superuser, yes?

The phone has an SD card as part of it..... I've never had to use an external SD Card with flashing. You use the internal one on the phone. Unless of course you are at a point where you can't access it?

The phone has an SD card as part of it..... I've never had to use an external SD Card with flashing. You use the internal one on the phone. Unless of course you are at a point where you can't access it?

Well, I am unclear how to get the file to the phone as the instructions show QBKing77 putting the second file on the SD card and using CWM to get it from SD to the phone. This is totally my first time doing this, so, forgive me if this is stupid question/observation. I actually flashed it.. Turns out I had a box checked that wasnt supposed to be. I also successfully converted the IMG files to TAR.MD5.

I think saying "I am at a point where I cannot access it" is accurate. More like, "Unclear how to transfer it," given the din, USB cable, and CWM mod given with no SD card.

Can I use Odin to put the file on there, and it will then boot? If so, how?

Well, in what state is the phone right now? Does it boot? If so, let it boot and it should show up as a media device in Windows with the SD Card accessible so you can put the file on it.

Well, in what state is the phone right now? Does it boot? If so, let it boot and it should show up as a media device in Windows with the SD Card accessible so you can put the file on it.

It's recognizing my phone now. Easy-peeasy! THANKS OVERKILL!!!!

So I put on the whole ZIP file to there as-is, yes? The Team Epic Root From Recovery that says:

Last edited:

It's recognizing my phone now. Easy-peeasy! THANKS OVERKILL!!!!

So I put on the whole ZIP file to there as-is, yes? The Team Epic Root From Recovery that says:

Yes.

Do you have CWM on there yet?

CWM is on and I am in it. I need to reboot my PC so it sees my phone as a place I can drag/drop to?

CWM is on and I am in it. I need to reboot my PC so it sees my phone as a place I can drag/drop to?

Yes. You need to put the file on the SD Card and then boot into CWM and install the ROM.

Why not just go on Ebay, or AliExpress, or any of the other myriad China on the cheap shopping sites, and get a brand new, cheap, unlocked GSM phone, without any prior owner issues, get a GSM SIM card from a prepaid place, and skip all this phone drama?

At the rate you go through phones, this would have to be cheaper for you.

No disrespect whatsoever intended, but you always seem to be doing things the hard way.

Yes. You need to put the file on the SD Card and then boot into CWM and install the ROM.

I have the SD card now.

I think i just put it on.. I must boot with home/power/volume UP, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back