Whos using 15W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In their daily driver that say calls for 5w30 ... I know your out there!
36.gif

My Cherokee calls for 5/10w-30 , I use 5w-40.

15w40 would be a strong contender if it didn't get so cold in ny in the winters.

Not my vehicle but I regularly put 15w40 in my brother's Lancer that calls for 5w30. It runs the same with either weight, but his car has a little under 200K and is starting to use more and more oil as the miles accumulate.

I have used it many times. In the stash I have a gallon of 15W-40 NAPA oil I got on sale for maybe $8.00 a while back. It is SL, and I think next summer I will use it.

Rotella Delvac 15W40 in the '86 B2000. My daily driver that spec's a wide range. I also top off the '02 Maxima with the same Delvac since it is consuming large amounts of oil. It spec's 5W30.

I have used it and SAE30 in everything when I grabbed 40+/- gallons during the $.99/gal clearance of '05/'06.

My L67 calls for 20W-50, and 15W-40 in "cold" environments. In the States, it calls for 5W-30...

So I've got around 50:50 15W-40 (Delo GOld Ultra), and 5W-30 Synthetic (Caltex C3).

So I'm way thinner than my Oz manual, and thicker than the US norm.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I have used it and SAE30 in everything when I grabbed 40+/- gallons during the $.99/gal clearance of '05/'06.
Me too-I use the Delvac 1300 15W40 in the boat, and still have 5 or 6 gallons of 99 cent/gallon Delo 400 straight 30 that I'm going to have to use before the jugs start leaking.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Me too-I use the Delvac 1300 15W40 in the boat, and still have 5 or 6 gallons of 99 cent/gallon Delo 400 straight 30 that I'm going to have to use before the jugs start leaking.

I keep my jugs in the basement, so they're still in awesome shape. I use the SAE30 in my compressors too!

Delvac 15w40 MX, in a 1986 Daihatsu Charade. Prior to that I used straight 40 weight (Delvac or CPC), which I still use for top off, and in my motorcycle gearbox.

I'm not much worried that its too heavy (it gets pretty hot here), but I am concerned about the lowered zinc levels in the MX.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I have used it many times. In the stash I have a gallon of 15W-40 NAPA oil I got on sale for maybe $8.00 a while back. It is SL, and I think next summer I will use it.

I bought 8 gallons of the same oil (black container) last year at $8.99/gallon. I run it in my old 1990 Chevy truck that has 350 TBI with flat tappets, and I plan to run it my boat this fall...a 36' Tiara with twin 454's (carbed and flat tappets as well).

My Vans owners manual states I can run SAE 30 or 15W40 depending on operating temps. I'm going to keep 15W40 Delo or Rotella in it since it's a diesel 1 ton capacity van.

You dont need it in a Honda or whatever that is calling for 5w30.

Tried it in my !Echo! last fall; low temp (20F) startup valve clatter was unbearable to the point where I drained it.

Great summer oil however.

Last edited:
I use it in the Cummins in my boat, that's about it.

Never noticed a difference between the big brands of 15w40 ie Rotella, Delvac, or Delo, so I buy whatever is on sale.

I ran a cycle in my f150. It seemed fine, but I am not sure it would be the best call for winter, so I switched to qs defy 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back