No More AC-PF35's they're now PF-1218's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple older model Chevy pickups with the 350 V8 motor. Have always used AC-PF35 oil filters which were available most everywhere. Went to Autozone yesterday and there were none on the shelf. When I asked the young counterguy if they were out of them he informed me that AC wasn't making the PF35 anymore but the PF1218 was taking it's place. Same filter in his words. Not that I'm doubting his info. but has anyone else heard this and if is true will the PF1218 convert over to replacing the PF35 without any problems?

Yep, it's true, the PF1218 is the PF35 with an antidrainback valve, so it's the better choice anyways. GM stopped specifying PF35s a few years ago on new vehicles and replaced them with PF1218s anyways.

I'm about to run the PF1218 again on my Firebird for the Auto-rx treatment. I've run it in the past too, along with the PF25 and PF35 (stock filter is the 25 actually)

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:
do the 35 and 1218 have bypass valves?

-michael

No, because they don't need them. On the GM engines they fit on, the bypass is in the engine block instead.

When I saw this post I was kinda surprised...I seem to remember it was about 5 or 6 years ago when I asked for a 35 and the parts counter person said "do you want the 1218 with the antidrainback valve instead"?

Thus I used it on my '93 Chevy Silverado with a 305 V-8 for about 5 years if memory serves until I sold it last year, and currently use it on my 350 Suburban.

Ahhhh-Haaaaa, that is why there were so many UPF1218 filters left at Meijer when they did a clearence. No body knew what they were (BUT ME)
lol.gif

I think I got about 8 between the two local Meijer stores! By the way... how would they work for a drag race filter. Pat, anyone??

HInk

[ March 11, 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Redbird ]

Kevin, these filters won't flow all that great to be used for a drag race filter. Stick with your huge K&N.

I made the misake of buying two cases of the UPF1218s and then realizing they probablly were not the best choice for my Z28 (a heads/cam car that is raced a lot).

What are these things worth? I have 9 left.

[ March 11, 2003, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Intelman34 ]

Intelman, the UPF1218s flow a lot better than the regular PF1218s, and I think they'd still be good for you. Keep in mind that the UPF1218 uses a fully fibreglass media, so it's going to have excellent flow, while the PF1218s are paper medias.

I knew Kevin was referring to the PF1218, not the UPF, since the UPF ones were never sold at Meijer.

quote:

Originally posted by Intelman34:
Hmmm okay thats good to know.

My goal this season is 11.70's... without having to use the spray so I will be needing something with decent flow.

Nice! I'll just be happy running 13.70s this year with my bone stock LT1 (best so far is 13.89)

Yes I was referring to the Upf1218!! Are they like this BLACK AC DELCO filter in my hand that say's Upf1218 and say's Ultraguard Gold all over it???

AND Meijer DID sell them, I went to two different Meijers In Jackso to get the 7 I have.
I use them on the show truck.

HInk
nono.gif

Wow Kev, that's a shock to me, as I was under the impression that the Ultraguard Golds were only sold at Pepboys, a few select GM dealers, and some performance shops only.

How much did Meijer charge for them?

How much did Meijer charge for them?

It has been at least 2 years since Meijer carried the Ultra Guards. I think I paid $9.95 for them.

Regarding the PF35 truck filter, I have used the 2 qt. filter meant for the Chevy heavy duty gas engine trucks. Just need plenty of ground clearance to use them. My dad has a 71 Chevy he uses for hauling antique tractors to pulls and the total weight for truck and trailer is around 12,000lbs. I figure the extra quart capacity can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back