BMW USA: New list of recommended oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
...so for non-M engines... you have to use BMW oil.

for the M engines... BMW LL-01 oil, Castrol TWS 10w40 or Castrol Professional OE 5w30 (which is LL-04)....

seems awefully restrictive to me... especially a good candidate for a Magnuson-Moss Act case.

Well, technically it says "recommended" and not "required".

What I find funny is this:

Quote:
The choice of the right SAE grade is based on the climatic conditions in the region in which you normally drive your BMW.

To best determine which SAE grade is best suited for your vehicle contact an authorized BMW center.

But the only SAE grade they listed is a 5w-30 for the non-M cars. So it's a "You can have any color you want as long as it's black" kind of a thing...

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

seems awefully restrictive to me... especially a good candidate for a Magnuson-Moss Act case.

Totally disagree. There are a ton of LL-01 oils not even made by BMW. Almost all of the big ACEA A3/B4 oils are LL-01.

They're not forcing you to use their own brand of oils at all.

So if I am reading this properly, the M3 motor (S65) can now use any LL01 oil? If so, that's awesome -- no more stupid TWS, and I can finally run M1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Totally disagree. There are a ton of LL-01 oils not even made by BMW. They're not forcing you to use their own brand of oils at all.

Except that the above text does not say anything about the fact that any other LL-01 oil can be used. Unless you're a BITOGer, you wouldn't know what to use.

Would be interesting to see what the latest BMW TIS says on the subject. That would give a more accurate engineering view without any marketing spin.

This is interesting. I was talking to a service rep today for an unnamed auto manufacturer and he said the current trend is to emphasize OEM branded everything (parts, oils, etc) and to try to compete with the Autozones and O'Reilly's on prices for those items

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Totally disagree. There are a ton of LL-01 oils not even made by BMW. They're not forcing you to use their own brand of oils at all.

Except that the above text does not say anything about the fact that any other LL-01 oil can be used. Unless you're a BITOGer, you wouldn't know what to use.

Would be interesting to see what the latest BMW TIS says on the subject. That would give a more accurate engineering view without any marketing spin.

I agree that it could be worded better, something like "only use oils carrying the BMW LL-01 approval".

I agree that it could be worded better, something like "only use oils carrying the BMW LL-01 approval".

I think the wording they used was very intentional. It was meant to make an average Joe think that BMW/Castrol oil is the only product to use while leaving the lawyers some breathing room in case someone brings up Magnuson–Moss.

Does LL-01 approved oil offer any other benefits other than long life? Could you run a regular SN rated 30 or 40 wt oil in a BMW if changing the oil at a normal 7,000 mile OCI?

Wonder what the lawyers would do with a mix of 1qt TWS, 1qt, Liqui Moly, 1qt TGMO 0W-20, etc etc. Which one would they say caused the engine to fail?

Originally Posted By: pscholte
Wonder what the lawyers would do with a mix of 1qt TWS, 1qt, Liqui Moly, 1qt TGMO 0W-20, etc etc. Which one would they say caused the engine to fail?

They have to prove that the failure was directly caused by that oil blend. Burden of proof is on the warrantor.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
Does LL-01 approved oil offer any other benefits other than long life? Could you run a regular SN rated 30 or 40 wt oil in a BMW if changing the oil at a normal 7,000 mile OCI?

LL-01 is pretty similar to ACEA A3/A4, so it has certain requirements for starting TBN, HTHS, etc.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RPTOOL2010Dep/rp/pc/index.html

The spiderchart shows ACEA A3/B4 actually being more strict across the board, with the exception of oxidative thickening. Unfortunately, API SN is not yet in the graph.

API SN is still very much behind those both.

Yup. API specs don't really come into play when discussing Euro mfg oil requirements.

As I said in the other thread, I will definitely be using Mobil 1 0w40 when my M3 is due for an oil change in a few months.

After seeing how thick the 10w60 is even at room temperature, I'd feel a lot better with M1 0w40 in my sump during winter.

I just found this thread and noticed that they left off the diesels.

Hmm..I wonder if this has something to do with the now 10k mile OCI?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
I just found this thread and noticed that they left off the diesels.

Good catch. What oil does the owner's manual specify? I tried to find an owner's manual for a diesel-equipped BMW on bmwusa.com and there aren't any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back