Schumacher Battery Maintainer, 1.5-Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schumacher is definitely a decent brand.

I have a Battery Tender Jr (.8a output) on my Neon all the time. I bought this because of it's size as I needed to make it all fit under the hood since the car is stored outside.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What do you guys think about Schumacher XM1-5 Maintainer, 1.5-Amp available at Walmart for $20 ? Most of the 40 reviews are very positive. Schumacher battery chargers are mostly very good quality at reasonable price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XM1-5-Maintainer-1.5-Amp/15140193#Specifications

I have one and its been on a battery for several months. While not an exhaustive test, at least it did not burn my house down the first night. I do not believe its temp compensated, but you may or may not need that. I seldom charge anything in the summer and in winter the batteries are in the basement at around 55 degrees F.

I own this unit,

Been using it for about 2 years now to maintain my lead acid batteries from my solar pannel days ( used to build em )

I like them , fast charging and micro controller thing is cool in theory. Better than not having one.

Never a hiccup.

I have a 10 year old version of one of these I maintain my camper battery and MG's battery with in winter, and it works fine. Must have a different design now since it says "microprocessor based", which mine certainly isn't.

Mine went kaput after a year or so, but when I figured out what was wrong it turned out to be a fairly simple circuit with some "smarts" provided by a handful of transistors and a voltage reference, no microprocessor involved.

I like the schumacher chargers, and have one that is chemistry and rate selectable, displaying both voltage and state of charge. It does seem to peak a bit high at the end of the charge, but I suppose it is trustworthy.

I personally prefer temperature compensated chargers. If it gets hot where you are, and the vehicle is maintained outdoors, overcharge is easy to do.

But if it is in a garage, in a cool area, it may not be an issue.

I still prefer temperature compensation... Hot and cold.

I have 3 of these connected to classic car, riding mower, and tractor. Never an issue in the almost 2 years using them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I like the schumacher chargers, and have one that is chemistry and rate selectable, displaying both voltage and state of charge. It does seem to peak a bit high at the end of the charge, but I suppose it is trustworthy.

I personally prefer temperature compensated chargers. If it gets hot where you are, and the vehicle is maintained outdoors, overcharge is easy to do.

But if it is in a garage, in a cool area, it may not be an issue.

I still prefer temperature compensation... Hot and cold.

What model are you saying is both hot and cold temp compensated?

Just visiting an old thread since I think I have something to add......

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
I have a 10 year old version of one of these I maintain my camper battery and MG's battery with in winter, and it works fine. Must have a different design now since it says "microprocessor based", which mine certainly isn't.

Mine went kaput after a year or so, but when I figured out what was wrong it turned out to be a fairly simple circuit with some "smarts" provided by a handful of transistors and a voltage reference, no microprocessor involved.

The older versions seem to have manual switches and less complicated electronics.

I'm also under the impression that the unit that's the subject of this thread is functionally identical to the SEM-1562-CA that Wal-Mart currently has for $17. It's got a 1.5A rating, three lights, clamps, and screw on connectors. It does seem to come in a rectangular box though. It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't using the exact same electronics inside, but with a different box. Schumacher also seems to change up the box a lot. The one I got looks more like the lower photo.

94026970_L.jpg
94026717_L.jpg

712euTCsO9L._SL1500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What do you guys think about Schumacher XM1-5 Maintainer, 1.5-Amp available at Walmart for $20 ? Most of the 40 reviews are very positive. Schumacher battery chargers are mostly very good quality at reasonable price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XM1-5-Maintainer-1.5-Amp/15140193#Specifications
I think it's a very good name. My big charger is a Schumacher, and I have the same trickle charger shown in the link. Very happy with both.

Just wanted to update my experience with the Schumacher SEM-1562A-CA. I've seen it for $17 from Amazon and online only from Wal-Mart. I saw the XM1-5 for sale at a Wal-Mart store though for just under $20. Again, I think they're probably the same under the hood, but where the case and the light positions are different. My box is really light and probably doesn't have a heavy transformer to operate a linear power supply with heavy coils like the old one. It's probably a switched-mode power supply inside, and there's no vent holes. They have a variety of different 1.5A and 3A maintainers, and I'd think they probably use the same guts to some degree. Maybe the 3A version uses a bigger power supply. There's a 1.5A onboard version that only has two lights, but it could be easy to control that function by hardwiring.

So the thing turns on, all three lights cycle, and the yellow light stays on if it's connected to a battery, or all the lights turn off and stay off if they're not. I don't believe this particular unit will detect that it's fully charged for at least several minutes. The older version (I've got an SEM-1562A) had a 6V/12V switch and would shut off almost immediately if you had a near full battery.

This one seems to back off from charging again once it senses that the battery is fully charged. It goes into a "maintain" mode where the green "charged" light pulses like a heartbeat. I removed the clamps from the battery, and it was still pulsing. It didn't stop pulsing until I unplugged it from the outlet. I'm not sure what was going on, but what I did wasn't their recommended procedure, which was to unplug it first before removing the clamps.

This probably isn't strictly a "maintainer" like one of those cheap units from Harbor Freight. HF says only to use those with a fully-charged battery showing at least 12V. The Schumacher maintainers are capable low-current chargers that can slow charge a depleted battery over a few days. If my wife forgets the lights and the battery is depleted, I prefer to hook up this thing overnight rather than jump start it, since a depleted battery is supposed to be tough on the alternator. I'll jump it if there's no other choice, but also use this thing to try and get the battery up to a full charge and hopefully condition the battery. I don't have a faster charger though, but I'm thinking of getting one.

I bought one of these at Walmart (or one very similar). I believe it has a "time-out" such that if it does not go into maintain mode in 24 hours if disconnects and give an error.

So it can charge a battery needing a little juice, but not a dead car battery.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I bought one of these at Walmart (or one very similar). I believe it has a "time-out" such that if it does not go into maintain mode in 24 hours if disconnects and give an error.

So it can charge a battery needing a little juice, but not a dead car battery.

I have an older version, and that one has a fairly simple charging circuit without any timing and an extremely simple "charged" green indicator light. If it's not connected the charged green light goes on if it's plugged in. If it's connected to a car battery and the switch is at 6V, the green light goes on. That one I'm pretty sure can charge a large battery over several days. I'm not sure if it sense a short or reverse and shuts off. My Schumacher basic 1A manual charger will.

I'm just wondering why they have ones with such similar specs, but in different boxes. I suppose it's for product differentiation, with the futuristic looking box vs a plain looking rectangular box.

I have their 10A charger. It died after a year. It won't recognize that a battery is hooked up, and hence never begins the charge cycle. I emailed the mfr, and they didn't reply. I won't buy another Schumacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back