Microgard 51393 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is the second Wix-made Microgard filter I cut open for all of your viewing pleasure. Last time I posted one of the new Microgards that was for a GM application where the bypass valve was in the block. This filter is for several VW applications however I can't see it being much different than the 51516 that I was originally searching for. Again, the construction is decent as expected from a WIX product. I can see using this for 5k with no problems. Anyways, here you are for those of us who are curious about the new filter line at O'Reilly's.

DSCN3072_zps59528d32.jpg

DSCN3074_zpsbb56b543.jpg

DSCN3077_zpsfcbac680.jpg

DSCN3073_zps6d759a19.jpg

DSCN3076_zpsc678f935.jpg

DSCN3075_zps3263506a.jpg

No combo valve in this application, typical Wix thread end bypass and separate adbv. A good thing imo.

Some mentioning NPS which I agree, though the Wix made for Auto Extra posted here a couple times would be the same.

I'd to see the MGL51515 to see if it is the same Auto Extra 51515 posted here. No idea why some applications would use a combo valve and others not.

This application looks decent though. Thanks for the pics.

I wonder why all the people who Hershey-squirt over wavy pleats in used filters aren't here doing the same for a brand new one.

Actually, this makes me wonder if the used filters that are autopsied with wavy pleats didn't start that way as this one. In reality, it might be more worrisome in a new filter because it shows some misalignment in the assembly.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I wonder why all the people who Hershey-squirt over wavy pleats in used filters aren't here doing the same for a brand new one.

Actually, this makes me wonder if the used filters that are autopsied with wavy pleats didn't start that way as this one. In reality, it might be more worrisome in a new filter because it shows some misalignment in the assembly.

Good points Mr. Jim!

Filter looks good, O'Reilly has done well this is a big upgrade from what they had IMO. Are they still selling these for $3.59 or thereabouts or did the price go up?

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

This new filter with a few wavy pleats looks to me because the media is a hair too long for the center tube/end cap assembly height. During use, the waviness probably gets worse due to some media swelling in a case like this (ie, starting off with slightly wavy pleats).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

This new filter with a few wavy pleats looks to me because the media is a hair too long for the center tube/end cap assembly height. During use, the waviness probably gets worse due to some media swelling in a case like this (ie, starting off with slightly wavy pleats).

I thought the COIL SPRING was to strong anc caused the filter to colapse.. Thats why some companies use Leaf Spring.

Originally Posted By: David1

I thought the COIL SPRING was to strong anc caused the filter to colapse.. Thats why some companies use Leaf Spring.

The center tube would have to collapse for the filter to collapse. I doubt any spring used in an oil filter is that strong.

IMO, wavy media in a new filter is caused by media that is a hair too long to fit between the center caps.

The position of the center caps - and hence the distance between them that the media spans - is dictated by the length of the center tube.

Run some Euler column buckling equations and you'd see it would take a lot of force (way more then even a stout coil spring) to collapse a metal center tube.

I believe they're still selling for $3.59-3.79 for the ones I sacrificed for the autopsy. I wouldn't be surprised if the price increased once the stock of Fram-built models dries up. If I do come across an MGL 51515, I will donate it to the cause of benefiting man-kind....or at least those of us here who can't sleep at night with the thought of inferior lubricants and filters being used in engines around us!!!

Originally Posted By: bds1984
If I do come across an MGL 51515, I will donate it to the cause of benefiting man-kind....or at least those of us here who can't sleep at night with the thought of inferior lubricants and filters being used in engines around us!!!

laugh.gif

Here here good man looking forward to more then.

I as under the impression that MicroGard filters were made by Purolator and are now made by Fram. I don't believe they were ever made by Wix.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I as under the impression that MicroGard filters were made by Purolator and are now made by Fram. I don't believe they were ever made by Wix.

They just switched over to wix not that long ago.

Originally Posted By: Texican

So let me get this straight.

MicroGard was made by Purolator, then they were made by Fram, now they are made by Wix?

Originally Posted By: Texican

So let me get this straight.

MicroGard was made by Purolator, then they were made by Fram, now they are made by Wix?

Yeah, apparently they ("MicroGard") "shop around" for whoever will make them filters for the "best deal".

Yeah, apparently they ("MicroGard") "shop around" for whoever will make them filters for the "best deal".

I gather "best deal" equals "cheapest price".

Wix has always been one of the more expensive filters (K&N, Mobil 1, and Amsoil being the most expensive), so I don't see how Wix can be the cheapest.

Oh well.

I gather "best deal" equals "cheapest price".

Wix has always been one of the more expensive filters (K&N, Mobil 1, and Amsoil being the most expensive), so I don't see how Wix can be the cheapest.

Oh well.

I said "best deal" ... which may not necessary equate to "cheapest cost" to have them produced. IMO, it equates to best value, meaning the best combo of quality and cost. Maybe MicroGard had to pay WIX the same or more money, but maybe they got a better filter out of it that would equate to better customer perception of the product and more sales.

Would be interesting to know if the price of these filter went up after the swap to WIX as the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back