To use 0W30 in place of 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
So does ExxonMobil.

Isn't this about the 8,000,000th time this question was asked?

Originally Posted By: volk06
GM says 0w-30 is ok to use in place of 5w30

5W20 VS 5W30
27.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So does ExxonMobil.

Isn't this about the 8,000,000th time this question was asked?

8,000,001, but who's counting?

I wanted to use/try this in my Durango a few year back but another forum advised me not to do it. He sited wearing out my bearings due to too thin of an oil despite the fact that Mobil say it's a replacement for 5W-30 oil and you'll increase you MPG a little more.

Durango

And you believe this why?

Originally Posted By: Durango
I wanted to use/try this in my Durango a few year back but another forum advised me not to do it. He sited wearing out my bearings due to too thin of an oil despite the fact that Mobil say it's a replacement for 5W-30 oil and you'll increase you MPG a little more.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango

Durango

How is it too thin? Anything below operating temperature both grades THICKEN
crazy2.gif

Sounds like somebody (the guy you were talking to) doesn't understand viscosity.....

If you want to spring for a syn for your engine, there'd be no reason not to use M1 0W-30.
The M1 site recommends this oil for every 5W-30 application I've ever looked at and the UOA forum shows that AFE holds up very well in use.
AFE in either the 0W-20 or 0W-30 grades is probably the best M1 oil offered in this country, along with the 0W-40 for those applications that need it.
If I didn't have a large stash of Ultra/PP/QSUD/G-Oil/Syntec/HGMO/SSO I'd have stocked up on a few changes of M1 AFE when Walmart had it for $22.47/jug.
It's a no-brainer IMHO.

I can't say I really understand viscosity eithr. My walmart has about 2 cases of 0w30 afe for 5bucks a qt. Had never considered a 0w before for my yukon. I use 5w30 ultra currently. Anything to help my 15 mpg is welcome.

Originally Posted By: JD4440
I can't say I really understand viscosity eithr. My walmart has about 2 cases of 0w30 afe for 5bucks a qt. Had never considered a 0w before for my yukon. I use 5w30 ultra currently. Anything to help my 15 mpg is welcome.

0w-30 will help you get about 1-2% better MPG in Winter until your engine warms up, which means you'll never see the difference in a measurable way.

Of course it won't hurt your engine at all. The way I see it, if a quality synthetic 0w-30 happened to be on sale for less than your usual 5w-30, there's no reason not to try it.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
0w-30 will help you get about 1-2% better MPG in Winter until your engine warms up, which means you'll never see the difference in a measurable way.

Of course it won't hurt your engine at all. The way I see it, if a quality synthetic 0w-30 happened to be on sale for less than your usual 5w-30, there's no reason not to try it.

yep, that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back