Snagged a JBL Charge portable Bluetooth speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided I'm sick of using the old phone-in-a-cup trick while sitting at the pool or beach, so I bought a JBL Charge portable Bluetooth speaker.

JBL_Charge.jpg

About the size of a Monster energy drink can but has some great sound. I looked at the Jawbone Jambox but was disappointed with the total lack of bass and heavily-processed sound. The Jambox looks cool but just doesn't sound as great as I had hoped. There is the Big Jambox but $299 is quite steep.

For $149, the Charge is perfect. Sounds full (almost as good as the Big Jambox) without being overly-processed. The icing on the cake is that it has a huge 6000mAh battery that can actually charge your phone/MP3 player through a standard USB port. Fairly rugged design and I'm not at all nervous about throwing this in a cooler or backpack, or about accidentally dropping it.

The pool opens next weekend and I am stoked to try it out. If anyone is looking for a portable speaker for the beach, pool, yardwork, or even for general use, I'd highly recommend listening to one. My local Best Buy had all of these out on display for demoing. While the Jambox wins on looks, the sound doesn't justify the price.

Interesting.

I'm looking for something similar, albeit a bit more powerful for BBQs, picnics, and such. I was looking at SuperTooth Disco which is a bit larger than this.

Checked out my local BB earlier today. That little JBL charge does get surprisingly loud considering how small it is.

The UE Boombox did sound OK, but I just can't get over its barbie-like looks. I just can't stand it.

The one I really liked was JBL Venue LT, alas, to my disappointment, this one cannot run on battery.

I'll keep looking.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
check out Daily Steals, they have some really good deals on different Logitech devices including Bluetooth boom boxes

http://www.dailysteals.com/heists/212/Logitech-Devices

Only for 3 more days though.

Thanks. At $65, that Logitech S715i looks appealing. It has the same driver arrangement as the UE Boombox. However, I've read that when running on battery, the sound quality is greatly degraded as Logitech decided that longer battery life is more important than better sound. Sucks...

Pete, go for the Big Jambox then. Looks great (several choices there) and gets really loud. Only problem is that it's $300.

Yeah, not really wanting to spend that kind of money. Preferably I want to stay around $100.

I'm starting to think a more traditional boombox may do the job and will allow me to use regular batteries.

I should have checked out this guy while I was at BB today.

The JBL Flip is the same speakers and amps as the Charge, but with a smaller battery. It's only $99.

Just wanted to update everyone that this thing is still awesome! I've had it out at the pool a bunch of times and people are always asking me about it -- everyone is surprised at how loud and rich it sounds.

I was in the market for a bluetooth wireless speaker myself. I wanted something to pair with my Nook HD+, so I can jam out on Spotify. I did lot's of research. My heart told me the Jawbone Big Jambox because I like Hard Rock Music, my wallet told me something different, LOL! I decided on the JBL Charge, overall I think it has a better sound quality and easier to transport than the Big Jambox. The battery life is also very good at 12 hours or so. I think it is loud enough on most occasions and i was surprised that it doesn't distort.

Yep, mine continues to impress under all uses. As long as I don't enable any EQ settings, it won't distort even at max volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back