2014 Ford Fusion Drive Train Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Ford Fusion is on my short list for purchace due to standard port fuel injection 2.5L in line 4 cylinder Duratec engine (no DI !). My main question is reliability of the duratec 4 cylinder engine and the Ford 6 speed transmission ? Opinions ? Experience with this drive train - bot positive and negative ? ...I will add I'm not looking for a race car - ease of maintaining , reliability and adequate pep for suburbs and occasional Interstate use are main wants for this drive train . Lastly , I plan on changing the oil and performing drain & fill on the transmission myself - any advice in these areas is appreciated as well .

Last edited:
The port injected duratecs are EXTREMELY reliable. Very long lived engines that are good on oil. Maintenance is pretty easy, but there really isn't much reuqired. Oil changes are easy - filter is at the front right (of car) of the engine.

The 6F35 had some problems in the first few years of production, but 2012+ models do not seem to have problems with the transmission. When they moved to "select shift" there were some internal changes that made the transmission operate better.

There is no dip stick, but instead a drain and fill plug. Mercon LV fluid is a bit on the expensive side, but not as expensive as Honda transmission fluid.

I have a 2011 Fusion with the 2.5 and six speed auto and it has been a wonderful car. We have not had it in the shop for anything at all to be fixed in 29,000 miles. Not anything. Not even anything small.

We get 28 to 32 mpg in mixed HWY and city driving and around 35 on the HWY with 37 on a couple of tanks of gas.

It rides grat and I really like the way it drives.

One last interesting thing. We traded in a chevy Tahoe for the Fusion to get better mpg. The Tahoe would take a 10" board or piece of plastic pipe that took up about all the room from the tailgate to the dash.

The Fusion will do the same thing! It has an amazing amount of room when you put the rear seat down, whicjh is very easy to do.

I agree with Callbay, my review of my 2012 Fusion 2.5L is pretty much the same.
I've only had mine at the dealership for 1 thing: blower motor replacement, which on the Fusion forums seems to be a known issue.
the blower motor continues to work, just gets loose and squeals randomly.

I got mine at 40k, records showed basic oil changes till I got it.
I'm a big guy and the seats fit me fine, I get great gas mileage, and the Sync system seems to work very very well. I don't use a fraction of what the system can really do.

My only beef is, sometimes if you're trying to pass, mash the gas and the engine will lug and you can literally hear the car computer trying to figure out why the pedal went from up to down so quickly and then the engine revs up (there is a noticable delay) and then the tranny tries to figure out which gear to go into.
climbing inclines isn't to bad, you do know it's a 4banger at that point. Otherwise, regular flat land, you'd think it had a v6 in it often.
I don't like the fact I can't downshift myself, the push button to take you out of 6th gear works quickly, but going downhill the engine would rev to redline to get the car to slow down.
I'm used to dropping a gear sometimes to get the car slowed down, but it's to computer controlled personally.
I'm still getting used to that part.

my fusion stops very well, handles superb, looks great especially after I tinted the windows.
it hasn't used any oil between OCI's, I"ve been using MC 5w20 and a Wix 51516 filter. It seems fairly easy to work on, electric rack & pinion looks easy, no extra p/s hoses routed all over. spark plugs are right there, there's really nothing to do maintenance wise.
my 2012 has a dipstick for the tranny and does use the Mercon LV, however, I'm looking at the Maxlife ATF which is supposed to be LV compatible now. I'm probably just gonna stay with Mercon LV and suck a few quarts out of the tube to keep it cycled.

I doubt you'll be disappointed at all.

The 2014 Fusion would be an excellent choice IMO. 2.5L is very reliable and the 6speed auto is much better with the improvements as others have pointed out. Our old '10 Fusion had the 2.5 and it was a surprisingly refined motor. Mpg was solid as well, up to 36 on the highway. We trader ours with only 44K miles, but in that time there was never a single issue that caused a breakdown. The only thing I didn't like was the 1st gen 6F35, and the sloshing issue from the heater core. Both have since been resolved of course.

I'd say put the Fusion high up on your list
smile.gif

the only thing I am finding I don't like about them is that faux Aston Martin front end. there are already too many of them running around. You will see yourself coming and going all the time. The drivetrain is proven and Ford for now is putting out a good product.

Have you considered a Mazda 6? Real nice also.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
the only thing I am finding I don't like about them is that faux Aston Martin front end. there are already too many of them running around. You will see yourself coming and going all the time. The drivetrain is proven and Ford for now is putting out a good product.

Have you considered a Mazda 6? Real nice also.

There's a ton of the other years of Fusion on the road too , these ones just stand out a bit more , you definitely notice them !

I really appreciate all the quick positive replies ! One thing I'm curious about is the lack of a transmission fluid dipstick ? Where do you add the transmission fluid and how are you supposed to know the proper level of ATF ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I really appreciate all the quick positive replies ! One thing I'm curious about is the lack of a transmission fluid dipstick ? Where do you add the transmission fluid and how are you supposed to know the proper level of ATF ?

I don't know the exact setup, but it likely has a drain plug and a fill plug. Some will have a window to see the fluid level, not sure about the Fusion though. I wouldn't worry about the level too much unless it was leaking. You can service it yourself but IIRC a lot of sealed units require servicing them at a certain temperature.

Hermann, while I agree that the Mazda6 is a nice car, the OP seems to want a motor with no DI.

The first year or two of 6F35 came with a dipstick. Not sure if that could be transplanted to the newer ones? My parents have this transmission on their escape (was not thrilled when they initially bought it), but it shifts pretty quick. Really like it.

The transmission is shared on a lot of GMs. Doesn't seem to a lot of failures in GM models. But it is hard on fluid.

I believe to replace the fluid, you just drain it via the drain plug and fill until it starts coming out of the fill plug.

You'll add it through a standard fill bore, typically, a dipstick is not where you'd add fluid anyway. I'm sure the manual and/or an owner's forum would clear up the questions on fluid level in a matter of minutes. Plus, if you're going to buy the car new it's not something you're going to have to worry about for a while.
What else is on your short list?

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Do you mean Ford ?

The 6F35 was a joint venture between GM and Ford.

Yeah all the 6F's are the joint ventures - 6F35, 6F50, and 6F55.

Ahh - thank you to clarify the GM / Ford joint venture ...The only thing else I have looked at are the Toyota D-4S engine with the hybrid DI and PFI injector system - not sure if it is available in a Camry 4 cylinder or not ?

I'm late to the conversation.

I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid with the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. I've got just under 95,000 miles. In a nutshell, the engine is Bulletproof. No issues or problems with mine. I feed mine Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic every 5,000 miles. No topping off the oil levels at that interval. I hope to see at least 400,000 miles.

No concerns about the CVT transmission either.

Late question , on the 2014 6F35 automatic 6 - speed transmission , what size is the ATF drain plug underneath ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back