Defective AC PF457G

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing the oil on my daughters Cobalt today and was inserting the new filter in the filter cap when I noticed this. The defective filter is on the left and a normal filter is on the right.
r2qkok.jpg

14kjk2q.jpg

2edcxhx.jpg

The inner cage, with the protrusion containing the green o-ring, was loose whereas it should have been attached to the plastic material forming one end of the filter. The o-ring plugs a hole at the bottom of the filter housing that allows the used oil to drain into the oil pan when changing the oil. The engine probably wouldn't develop proper oil pressure if this hole were not sealed.

That's why I always look at filters (and any thing I buy if I can) before purchasing. Once and a while there will be one with something wrong.

Was there some broken plastic causing the issue?

Wow, the filter is made by Hengst one of the best German cartridge filter manufactures. You're very unlucky to get a very rare defect Hengst cartridge filter.

Thanks for the post,my sister car a 2005 Saturn takes the same filter.I have 4 Purolators (PSL15436) that i check and found ok. Thanks again for the heads up.

That is one of the best things about a cartridge oil filter! You can inspect every part of the filter before you buy or install it. Just return that filter to where ever you bought it and move on. Mass produced items like oil filters are going to have problems like that slip past the manufacturer's QC department. If you did not buy it that way, it looks like that part of the cage was crushed in and broke. When I am buying these filters, I like to wiggle that part of the filter to make sure it is firmly attached. I was always worried about that type of a failure with these filters and your pics confirm my suspicions of that possibility.

I use the hengst AC Delco very frequently in my car they are definitely a quality filter. I do not think this is a major issue with quality or construction, just an isolated failure. Puroloator and Fram make excellent filters in this application also, you may want to check them out.

The protrusion looks as if it was forced down in the center portion somehow. Looking at the two filters from the other end though, they don't look identical in construction. Defects can happen to any brand.

As mentioned, if possible always best to inspect filters prior to purchase.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
That looks as if it was damaged after the fact. I do not believe that is a manufacturing defect.

+1, I agree. Someghing heavy (rotor, etc) stacked on it in the store, etc.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That's why I always look at filters (and any thing I buy if I can) before purchasing. Once and a while there will be one with something wrong.

^ This. I inspect every single filter in the store before purchase. Every brand will eventually produce a bad filter.

Unfortunately (at least for inspection purposes) I'm 99% sure that the PF457G is in a sealed box. At least the last two I bought were both sealed.

OP, thanks for the pics!

Yes, I wasn't able to inspect the filter beforehand as it was sealed in its (undamaged) cardboard box. The filter is defective, not damaged. The center support is molded separately from the end caps and is likely supposed to be bonded to the one end. There is no adhesive visible from the outside. I will do a destructive physical analysis on it this weekend when I have the time. I pulled the used filter out of the trash and can use it to see how the center support is supposed to be attached to the end cap.
Even after encountering this issue, I still prefer the Hengst made filter over the competition and will continue to use them.

I cut the filter media with a razor blade so that I could see how the inner support and the end cap go together. It is a snap together design. There is a ridge around the outer circumference of the filter support near its end and another ridge inside the opening in the end cap. Push them together such that the ridge on the support goes past the ridge on the end cap and they lock into place. I should have been able to fix the filter by pulling/pressing the two parts into position. I snapped them together and can't get them apart now, so I doubt that they were joined properly to begin with.

Originally Posted By: SnPb
I cut the filter media with a razor blade so that I could see how the inner support and the end cap go together. It is a snap together design. There is a ridge around the outer circumference of the filter support near its end and another ridge inside the opening in the end cap. Push them together such that the ridge on the support goes past the ridge on the end cap and they lock into place. I should have been able to fix the filter by pulling/pressing the two parts into position. I snapped them together and can't get them apart now, so I doubt that they were joined properly to begin with.

Good to know! I was half thinking that is how these filters are constructed because on most of them anyways, you can spin that center peice with some effort. Now you know for the future. Also, I always open the sealed boxes before I pay. Wal-mart and Advance auto have never said anything to me about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back