Squeaking alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`d posted earlier in the week about a squeaky tensioner pulley. I replaced that,and still the squeak.

I took the serpentine belt off and spun all the accessory wheels. Turns out the ALTERNATOR is squeaking! I spin it by hand and yep,that`s what`s making the noise. It`s not wobbly,etc,and spins smoothly and freely.

How serious is this and I`m guessing alternator replacement is inevitable? Any reprocussions if I put off replacing it?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`d posted earlier in the week about a squeaky tensioner pulley. I replaced that,and still the squeak.

I took the serpentine belt off and spun all the accessory wheels. Turns out the ALTERNATOR is squeaking! I spin it by hand and yep,that`s what`s making the noise. It`s not wobbly,etc,and spins smoothly and freely.

How serious is this and I`m guessing alternator replacement is inevitable? Any reprocussions if I put off replacing it?

If you know how to rebuild a alternator you can replace the pully on it.

Here is a bunch of vidoes on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyosuYbPxr4

I had one making some noise in a 1992 S10 Blazer. It had a bad bearing in it. It did not end well. It caught fire and burned up the whole truck. I would replace it soon if I were you.

does it squeak cold and then go away when warm? or squeak all the time?

if it squeaks all the time i would replace it!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
does it squeak cold and then go away when warm? or squeak all the time?

if it squeaks all the time i would replace it!

Yeah,it *almost* goes away when it`s good and hot,say after 20 min of driving or so. Barely audible,but slightly still there. Is a Motorcraft OEM any better than a parts chain house brand?

Originally Posted By: T4R
I had one making some noise in a 1992 S10 Blazer. It had a bad bearing in it. It did not end well. It caught fire and burned up the whole truck. I would replace it soon if I were you.

Had the same thing happen on a 91 S10 about 3 times. It never caught fire or stopped charging but the bearing was seizing up leaving metal shavings everywhere. The alternators of that era were junk.

Ask a good auto parts place if you can purchase the bearings. And if they can get them also get new brushes. You may require one or two thin piece of metal wire like a big paper-clip straightened up to hold the brushes away from the commutator while you reassemble the alternator.

If you can not get an auto parts place to order the bearings, McMaster-Carr will have them, but you will have to pull them and measure them to determine what ones to order from them.

Had a squeaky alternator on my Taurus. Took it to auto zone where I bought it to test and it passed their machine but couldn't keep my battery charged. Replaced it under warranty and it fixed the problem. Lucky that the manager heard it squeak because the guy who tested it wouldn't replace it because it passed.

I would seriously consider replacing it when possible but you can always fix it where it sits if it breaks down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back